SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Dresden plate problem

bkay2000
7 years ago

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a beautiful half finished Dresden plate quilt top I bought at an estate sale. My question then had to do with the edge not being turned under. You helpful ladies advised me to use fray block or sew the edge with mono filament thread. The thread didn't work, as it messed up the appearance of the blanket stitches.

So, this problem: Each square had yellow sashing sewn on two sides, that left a place for a cornerstone. The first three rows were assembled, leaving the cornerstone empty. (I wish I had taken photos.) I got a little baggie that contained the yellow cornerstones and a couple of extra pieces of sashing.

I took the whole thing over to a friend's house who has quilted for years. She said the cornerstone should be white. But whatever color, she didn't understand why it was assembled as it was. She suggested that I take it apart, buy new yellow fabric and make new sashing with white cornerstones. So, I bought the new fabric, finding very good color matches for both the white and yellow in Kona cotton.

Last night, I started taking it apart. I had not anticipated that the problems that I now see. The squares are not square and they are not the same size. It doesn't really matter at this point, but the sashing strips were off as much as a 1/2 inch.

So, my inclination is to press the squares, square them up and attach new sashing. Is there anything wrong with that plan? The squares are so beautiful, I hate to mess them up.

(I'm a newbie, having only finished one lap quilt, one top and an I spy mat. That's why I'm asking all the questions.)

bk

samples of the quilt squares

Comments (7)