SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ncamy_gw

Advice on hanging school portraits

ncamy
13 years ago

My only daughter will be in the 12th grade next year. Every year we have bought an 8 X 10 school picture and kept the current year in a frame on our bedroom dresser. One of our most endearing annual family rituals is to "spread out" all of the previous years' pictures and watch how she is changed (and stayed the same!) So now that I will have the complete 13 year set, I want to display them somehow.

The location of the display will probably be in the upstairs hallway or along the stairs going up. I don't want it to look too cheesy or too cluttered. We are in a rental now while we wait to build, but they will be displayed in a similar way in either house. Should I go with a simple black frame and line the pictures up in a row? Should I use the same frame but in a variety of coordinating colors? Should I arrange them in a pleasing non-linear grouping? What about something whimsical? Like maybe simple frames with small tiles or metal numbers attached to indicate the year? My overall decorating style leans more toward eclectic bohemian artsy. All other artwork in the house is original (no prints), but the art varies from folk art to gallery purchased oils.

Another concern I have is the size. I feel like they need to be matted so that will put them into the 11 x 14 size range unless I get frames that are beefy enough not to warrant a mat.

Although I have searched and searched, I cannot find any examples of what I am envisioning. Can you help me? I would love to see pictures of how others have done something similar? Or links to appropriate frames that I might could use. Thanks!!!

Comments (14)