SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Questions About Doors and Shutters, Paint and Varnish

User
10 years ago

In our basement remodel we have brick floors, a short pine tread staircase with black wrought iron railing, and lap siding on the interior of the wall with door leading to a patio through a new, single pane French door.
All the interior doors in our house are painted Charleston Green, which is actually 6 or 7 parts black and 1 part green. The basement doors are also painted this color. In this particular room there is one black door and the new single pane French door that hasn't been touched yet. The window adjacent to the door has plantation shutters. My original plan was to paint the French door frame and the plantation shutters both black, and install shutter dogs on the siding to hold back the shutters when open. These choices are in keeping with the "outdoors indoors" look I like very much.
However, I am now thinking the door might be better varnished like the heart pine stair treads. And if I do that, should I still paint the shutters or leave them white?

The only other varnished wood downstairs will be the recessed shelving (right side in the first picture) that will hold game components for the screen hanging on the wall above it.

This front room will have a green and cream check rug over some of the brick and very large botanical prints with a black background. Upholstery will be a golden yellow with pillows in solid green, tan tartan and red and orange paisley. (The paisley will be bolsters that won't be seen much behind the other pillows.)

Comments (12)