SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Do you think furniture style affects buyer's decisions?

jenswrens
15 years ago

Not necessarily the decision to ultimately buy or not, because I think in the final stages most buyers know how to look beyond furnishings and staging to the real bones of the house (layout, woodwork, utilities, location, etc).

I'm talking about their initial decision to even go look at a home based on photos, or their initial reaction to stepping inside a house. That decision to keep it on their list or immediately strike it off. Whether weÂre conscious of it or not, we know that, no matter how seasoned we are, we all (or most anyway) have an initial visceral reaction to a homeÂs general character  that "homey" feeling that agents and stagers try to generate. How much of that is a reaction to furnishing style as opposed to home style? Or is it a reaction to whether or not the furnishings match the style of the house? Does the décor highlight the houseÂs features or detract from them?

I know we should strive for neutral decor, but what if furnishings are overtly masculine or feminine or Victorian in a contemporary-style house or vice-versa? Does that play a part, even subconsciously, in your decision to keep looking?

I have an ulterior motive in asking this question. But IÂd like to get some general thoughts on the idea as a whole.

Comments (33)