SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lana_roma

Do you think second-hand shopping affects the retail industry a lot?

lana_roma
7 years ago

Are you likely to shop second-hand instead of buying new? Is buying used goods common in your circles?

There's been much lamenting in the press about the decline in retail sales and major store chains struggling to stay afloat. A few examples:

The Seattle Times: Nordstrom Profit Plunges

WSJ: Macy's Reignites Retail Worries

CNBC: Retail Recession - Kohl's

Typical causes cited:

- The 'evil' Amazon and online shopping in general;

- Abnormal weather;

- Consumers spend on experiences and services instead of goods;

- Rising costs of necessities like healthcare, housing or education.

However, I'm puzzled why no one mentions an obvious increase in the popularity of second-hand shopping. Why?

Perhaps it's just a regional thing, but in my social circles CL has become a go-to place when one needs a piece of furniture, a bicycle or a car. Our extended family and close friends are mostly middle to upper-middle class, and a few are affluent. No one could be classified as low-income. Unlike a decade ago, it's considered 'cool' and 'Earth-friendly' to score super bargains at garage and estate sales. Some friends band together for weekend thrifting instead of an afternoon at a mall.

My SIL and her husband are very well-off and vacation abroad a lot. Nevertheless, they often shop for their clothes, housewares and cars second-hand. They see no point in buying a brand-new Acura if they could pay 30%-40% less for a 2 y.o. car still under the manufacturer's warranty.

A while ago I needed a couple of frying pans. I balked at paying $15-$25 for each at Walmart or Target. Instead, I went to a large Salvation Army store on Wednesday, which was their 50% off day and got two nice clean pans and a lid for $12 total. The store was buzzing with people, while the Walmart next to it was almost empty!

Is it the same in your city?

Comments (32)