SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalpatsy

Paducah 2010

petalpatsy
14 years ago

Oh! (amazement and delight) Oh! (My feet hurt)

I wish you all had been there with me! My mom decided not to go, she's just not up for trips much these days. :( I had a nice time anyway, since every single person there seemed ready to chat like old friends. :)

I bought myself two TJ Lane thimbles, and they are wonderful. I have two Roxannes, and two old fashioned Thimblelady's that don't hold a candle next to these custom fit, thinner thimbles. My Roxanne's and Thimblelady's were fit uncomfortably tight so that after an hour quilting they won't fall off your sweaty finger. That's true, but most times my little quilting sections of time aren't much more than an hour anyway, and so they end up just being too tight most of the time. The trade off for a Lane is that these may hole easier, but that's the compromise you make for the custom fit and light weight. TJ took the thimble back and forth to her little work station and whacked it on her jeweler's anvil until it was the same oval as my finger and fit my writer's callus. TJ says if you hole one, you mail it back and she fixes it with a thicker patch there at your favorite pushing spot, for free. It's not REALLY custom until then. Until then, you're just breaking it in. I liked TJ very much, and had to laugh at the way she made a hole in your $100 thimble seem like a desirable thing, a badge of honor to be sought. I fell for it hook, line, and sinker, and will be looking forward to a hole in my thimble, half way worried I may not ever quilt enough to get one. :)))

The winner's pictures are up on the AQS seb site, though the Best of Show doesn't photo well. There were lots of crystal embellishments glistening and sparkling as you move by, and the quilt is almost entirely thread painted. In person, there is a glowing sense of depth and movement in the thread work, as you walk past it and the different threads pass in and out of visibility. In the picture, it seems like all the threads caught the flash at once so it seems like a flatter and MUCH lighter solids, almost cartoonish. NOT so in person, not at all. In person, it's absolutely eye riveting, practically magical with MUCH more dark and black, glowing, shifting, shadows and light, and mesmerizing.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH