SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

QOTD: curious why so few for Lottos

14 years ago

I am curious about the decrease in participation in the monthly block lottos. It seems like when I first started visiting this forum there were many more people joining in and making blocks. But for the past few months there have only been between 5 and 7 people. Usually the participants make 3 blocks each so there's still plenty there for a quilt, or at least the start of one, but it's such a fun thing to do that I'm surprised more of you don't send in at least 1 block.

Usually it only takes me one evening or possibly two to select the fabric, cut out all the pieces for 3 blocks and sew them together - so it's a very quick and (usually!) easy project. It's a nice diversion from larger projects.

So, not trying to push, harass or embarrass anyone, but I would like to know why there isn't more interest. It's one of my favorite things about the forum and I think you might like it too. If you haven't tried it yet, think about joining in for March. (If you don't like the block and don't want to win, you can always tell Cathy not to enter your name in the drawing.)

Kate

Comments (36)

• 14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I also wonder why. I'm guilty of defaulting on my Lotto commitment this month due to the blizzards/ weather that consumed all my time, but I had good intentions. Even got out to buy the fabrics. It is my turn to pick the block for June, and I have searched the internet for a different block to make that may make it more interesting. I have read some interesting blogs about the success, & participation and some analysis of Block Lottos. Too simple & it doesn't attract the skilled piecers. Too difficult & it doesn't attract the newbies or not as skilled. Size of the block is also at issue.

Before I settle on a block to choose - please candidly answer Kate's question, and mine - since I need to give Cathy my choice soon. My 1st choice was a 16" block & the concern was that the additional fabric & postage may present an issue - since we have only done blocks that were 12".

Would you participate if the block was larger than 12" ?
    Would you participate in a themed Lotto?
    Do you even open (the Lotto thread) or follow the GW Lotto?
    Do you participate in Block Lottos elsewhere?
    Do you want stricter rules?

Woodenzoo does a remarkable job hostessing the Lotto, as did calliope when she filled in for Cathy last year. It is organized & appears to run flawlessly thanks to these two ladies during the year I have participated.

I would like to see more participants as well - Thanks for asking the question Kate.

• 14 years ago

Thanks, RiverGirl. I should also have mentioned that Cathy and Calliope have done a great job! Flawless is the right word. Many thanks to both of them for making it easy and fun.

Kate

• Related Discussions

Curious - Why Newer DLs not sold in town?

Q

Comments (7)
    Maybe I've just lucked out, but the peony roots I got from Sam's club & potted up & planted in the fall bloomed a bit the very next spring. Also, their Iris bloomed gorgeously the second year after planting & are spreading like mad. I did accidently get a purple iris instead of the blue it was supposed to be, but I'm so glad because the purple has an awesome sweet scent that wafts everywhere outdoors! Their Tahiti double daffodils are beautiful. Anyway, I suppose it's just as well they don't do daylilies because if they became as ubiquitous as poor Stella - Yikes!!!
    ...See More

Q.O.T.D.: What does your sewing room look like?

Q

Comments (85)
    Hi, all I have used Garden Web for years for remodeling, never thought to use it for quilting/sewing. I am widowed now, and have 2 bedrooms, one slightly larger than 11x15, serves as a sewing room/guest room. Currently, I have a duplex bed w/frame taking up lots of wall space. My family are all out-of-state and can't visit very often. Perhaps once a year single or couple friends visit. Bed is used only occasionally. I have inflatable queen and twin size mattresses (a couple of years ago, had the family down for Christmas). I'm trying to decide whether to a) lose the bed and rely on inflatables; b) trade the bed for a double or queen-size bed which would gain some wall space, or c) deal with what I have. The room will be repainted soon; there's a very pleasant view outside the window, so the sewing machine stays there. Opposite the window wall is a closet, and a small wicker vanity on a short wall. A wicker dresser (partly seen in pic) and the entry door is opposite the bed wall. I'm left handed, so it's cut, stitch, press; from left to right. I'm looking for a better table/cabinet solution for the area, but this works for now. I'd love room for a 36" cutting table.
    ...See More

qotd 4/29/11 - calling all old quilters!

Q

Comments (5)
    Good question. I have extended family in England who visit every year and my son-in-law's mother is quite handy with a needle. I was showing her some of my quilts (and sent her back with one of them) and she said she was seriously thinking of taking up quilting..........and patchwork too. LOL. I think this is an example of the two countries being separated by a common language. She considers quilting to be the act of padding, facing and stitching the sandwich in a pattern. She considers patchwork the piecing together of fabrics in patterns. If you know the history of quilting it makes sense. Early quilts were often whole cloth quilts, even in this country. Needlework was a past time for 'gentle' ladies. There simply wasn't any need for women like that to gather scraps because they could afford any fine material they wished. Patchwork is what evolved from the masses who couldn't. There are section of Great Britain where whole cloth quilts are the norm and for which they are famous, and other places in the British Isles were pieced quilts were, and they have their own reputation of pieced quilts in whatever material their particular locality produced......like wools. The distinctions are becoming blurred with the ease of communication but at least with the gals I know they may refer to the type of quilting we are accustomed to as 'patchwork'.
    ...See More

QOTD 10/26 - Why?

Q

Comments (18)
    Yes, this forum has been quiet lately, and thank you Kate for such a wonderful thread. Every one of the comments above apply so it's hard to add anything, but I had to add my 2 cents. The first quilt I ever made was in the late 80's and probably one of the worst designs for a beginner, grandma's fan. I made it for my mother. Machine pieced and hand quilted. It actually turned out great and I haven't stopped since. I do other things, my real passion is painting pastel landscapes. I also love gardening, cooking, flower arranging. But I always come back to quilting for comfort. Have only been to one lesson (although I'm not against them), just a little bit uncomfortable around other people. But I do look at magazines, books, and TV shows for tips. I think other than the destressing, the creativity, the comforting way it feels to work on one and then to enjoy it myself or to give it away, I always feel very connected to other women in the now and in the past, even though I'm not a social butterfly. I especially think a lot about the women in the past who didn't do this for a hobby. They did it for it's necessity, utility, to make useful things out of recycled materials, without all the innovative tools that we have now to make it easier. And I kind of doubt that there were a lot of people who stood around admiring them for their design and beauty, they probably took them for granted - especially men and the sophisticated gentry - which causes me to respect these women the more. They had hard lives from daylight til dark and still made quilts - without electric lights and sewing machines even - it was just something that they did for necessity and to keep busy. But I like to imagine that in the firelight, family all asleep, there was the hope that someone would be thinking of them and appreciating them down the line for their efforts. I know I do, and many people do. Hey, look what happened to the women of Gee's Bend Alabama when some art expert happened upon their simple, utilitarian quilts and sent them to all those museums of art for display! It must have been awesome!
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

It has never interested me. I am not sure why as I love making different blocks but it is something like gambling and not my thing. Further more I am not sure what I would do if I won.LOL. Jayne

• 14 years ago

I looked at it but couldn't quite figure out what it was all about.
    Maybe I need to read it again as sometimes the old brain functions better than others. LOL
    Beth

• 14 years ago

I actually went out and bought the material for the Jan/Feb lottos and even decided I'd try my hand at the applique. But, I just ran out of time. Most of it is weather related, too. I have g'houses fired up for the spring crop, and everything I do with the business takes twice as long in severe winters. I've had to knock snow off trees leaning on my power lines, thaw out soil days ahead of time to have it ready for planting, and sometimes even dig out so I can open g'house doors. Not a good time of year to take on projects, even little ones but a good time to finish project I have in the fire.

I've asked the same question when I was hostessing the lotto and also discussed it with some of the participants if there were something I could do to increase interest. I guess it is what it is. I dunno. When I participated in submitting blocks, I was always excited the last week of each month when the winner would be announced. It's a cheap way to have a lot of fun. BTW, I am not a gambler either, but I looked at it as a win/win. I have made several quilts from previous lotto blocks, because it gave me a chance to give those blocks a trial run. I learnt some blocks I thought I'd like were tedious, and some I didn't think I liked looked smashing when I put them next to each other.

To answer Magothyriver girl's questions. Yes, I'd participate in a 16" pattern. Yes, to themed lotto. Yes, I always read the lotto threads, even if I don't participate. No, I don't participate in any other quilting project. And I think the rules work fine. They prevent unanticipated grief, and you don't fix something when it ain't broken. LOL.

I intend to take part in as many lottos as possible in the future. I actually went through Lotto withdrawal the last two months.

BTW, I have finished the quilt this month with the blocks I won from the Dec. 2008 lotto. It's one of my fav quilts now.

• 14 years ago

I'm too much of a newbie, and do all hand work to boot. It would take me too long figure out a block--unless it's a 12 inch Churn Dash. That one I can do, I have acrylic templates for it. :) Then, I'm not sure anybody would be happy to see it since it would probably be 'off.' Think back to most of yourselves when you were 16--okay, okay, when you were 10. I'm there.

My machine is set up, now. But my current machine 'project' is making some tea towels--you know, trying to learn how to make a straight seam on a large rectangle. I find it takes all my concentration to breath and sew at the same time.

Last but not least, even twenty years from now when I've won back to back Paducah shows, and quilting guilds everywhere beg to pay me $5,000 to teach them workshops, I think I only want to hand quilt my own work. Yup, I'll die a lonely, old woman, won't I?

• 14 years ago

Kate, this is a fabulous question. I have wondered the same question myself. I do enjoy doing the block lottos -- have won two of them! I attribute it to submitting 3 blocks each time ... and I really like the two that I won. I think it is a great way to try out new blocks, and it gives me opportunity to have exposure to a lot of different things.

In answer to rivergirl's questions, yes, I would be willing to participate in a larger or smaller block lotto. I only play the GW lotto game, but I do participate in other quilt-related activities online. I am working on the Round Robin that we started here last year, I am involved in a "Secret Quilt Angel" project (like Secret Santa) that is a year-long endeavor, and a Boomerang Block Swap (both from another website). I do the birthday blocks here, in 2 groups. I love to quilt, and these quick little projects are just plain fun. But being in so many does sometimes give me pause as to whether I should join the lotto.

Sometimes I don't join, either because I don't care for the block, sometimes it's the color choices for the block, and once in a while I am just not feeling up to it.

Would I be willing to do a theme lotto? Yup.

As for teh rules, I think they're pretty fair and straightforward. Yeah, rules are a downer, but we've got to have some kind of parameters to keep the fairness factor alive.

I believe our Lotto Matrons have done a terrific job in keeping them going and it making them fair and fun. I suggest everyone try one a couple times a year, even if it's just to stretch the brain cells a little bit. (I'm hoping to give the applique lotto a shot soon ... looking for one I like, in case I win!).

Odessa

p.s. If you join a lotto and win, and don't know what to do with the blocks once you get them, why not put the quilt together and donate it to a good cause? There are homeless shelters, women's shelters, and children's hospitals that would welcome a quilted donation. Or perhaps as a fundraiser for cancer, a deserving family, or charity organization. Plenty of the work has already been done, you just need to finish it.

Or you could just donate the blocks to me, and I'll take them off your hands! :-)

• 14 years ago

I enjoy participating when I have the opportunity. When I do, I usually make three.

Block size doesn't matter to me - 9", 12", 16" or any other size are fine.

A Themed Lotto - well, that would depend on the theme. I don't generally like themed or juvenile prints, so I have none in my stash. So blocks requiring Americana type fabrics, for example, I'd just have to give them a miss - my patriotic fabrics are bright red, bright navy, and white. Nor to I have any Thimbleberries, calicos, 30's or Civil War reproductions. I likely won't shop for them either, simply because I don't get out that often, LOL.

Do I participate elsewhere? - No.

Stricter rules? - No. The rules are clear, concise, and they work. Don't mess with them.

So my final answer is I have and will participate if I have the fabrics (even for a block I don't like), and I have the time. DH's health is occasionally an issue, but not too often, thank goodness.

I'll also say, having won a lotto once, I would prefer that all the block patterns be the same.

The lotto I won was Quilter's Choice on the block, but all were done in a black/white combination. It's wonderful that a 12" block can be divided in so many ways, but when you have such a diversity of seams, it's difficult to put together a coherent whole quilt.

Kudos and praises to both our hostesses! You're doing a wonderful job, and I look foward to more participation in the future.

• 14 years ago

Haven't always known what this project was; got the idea it was a group project. Just has never caught my interest or struck my fancy.

• 14 years ago

Petal Patsy........brought a big grin to my face. You cannot imagine how intimidated I was when I entered the first block lotto. I can relate.

• 14 years ago

I simply don't have time for another swap.

beverly

• 14 years ago

Ditto what Beverly said.

Also, these days I have to carefully pick and choose what additional projects I take on. At present I participate in one Birthday Block group here, my Round Robin group with my guild friends, order for an Etsy customer, sewing projects for friends and family, weaving projects for friends and family, and I need to make Boutique items and a Silent Auction quilt/woven scarf or two for our October 2010 quilt show. And, I'm one of the Quilt Show Chairmen this year. Plus, I work full time and spend time on the weekend with my mom and dad. My dad is in a Memory Care center for Alzheimer patients.

Teresa

• 14 years ago

I've never even checked it out, I'm one of those that when I have a big project going, I can't let myself get started on something new or I'll stray away and UFO's and me don't get along. I have a brand spanking new sewing machine sitting here from Christmas that I haven't even used because this quilt I'm working on was started before I got it and I am quilting it by hand, so I really want to finish it. When I start a new project I try not to commit to anything else. (I guess I have commitment issues!) Also, I used to know someone who did a lot of projects from an online quilting group that would wind up with many blocks that she couldn't use either because they weren't stitched or cut, etc. properly and were odd-sized or had some odd fabric used in it like a piece of gold lame or something and she really didn't like that. And also a lot of times when there was a fabric or block swap she would do what she was supposed to do but would wind up short-handed because someone who had committed didn't come through. So it's like anything else, if you can have an attitude of just let's have fun and not get too jack-booted about it, fine but if you can't it's probably better not to get involved. When I finish this project I'm on I will check out all of these swaps and contests, etc. but not until then.
    Rita

• 14 years ago

Seems like there is never enough time. I have participated & enjoy trying the new blocks - have even won a couple times. Have I done anything with the blocks I've won? not yet! Teaching takes so much time (No, it's not just from 8-3:30 every day!!!)

I think the people that organize do a fantastic job and I applaud them and their hard work. I would love to participate more & try when I am not overrun with work. Different size blocks or themes sound interesting.

Rules to the lotto are easy (if I could just remember to enclose my postage $$!!!) I agree with donating quilts if you don't have an immediate use (hope no one is offended!)

Sue/polardream

• 14 years ago

I just found the GW Quilting Forum over the holidays this past Christmas & was delighted. I read the lotto threads with curiosity, but it took a while to find the start of a lotto that explained the rules.

I hadn't quilted in about 20 or 30 years, recently retired and decided it was time. After spending the past year knitting baby blankets & sewing nursery items for my first grandchild, I was ready for a change. But starting a whole quilt project was intimidating. The lotto was perfect. I actually made a block before I signed up, just to see if the result would be acceptable. Thanks to the encouragement in the rules (it didn't have to be PERFECT, just my best effort), that gave me the confidence to go ahead and send it in.. and then another and another.

The applique was a little intimidating, but I thought, oh, well, give it a whirl. And I sent that one in. Also sent in 3 for February. And I've done April's blocks as well.

I won't be participating in March's because it would require the purchase of 4 fabrics, none of which I could envision using on any projects of my own, definitely not the style of my "stash".

As for the other questions:

A larger block would be fine. A lot of the patterns I've looked at on Quilters Cache & fallen in love with are 16" blocks I'd like to try. Most don't appear intimidatingly more complicated, even for a beginner. With flat rate boxes available, would the postage really be any different?

Themed quilt: Depends on the fabric required. If the theme is expressed through the colors of the fabric or the pattern of the block (as opposed to the pattern of the fabric) I'd be more likely to participate.

I don't do lottos elsewhere. I'm looking forward to catching the beginning of the birthday block lottos next fall.

Stricter rules? I'm just a newbie, but they seem pretty fair to me. It's nice that I have the option of making a block that I wouldn't otherwise try & just declining to be included in that month's drawing if I don't want to deal with finishing a quilt of that style.

I find the blocks go much more quickly than I think they will & hubby says that whenever he comes in my sewing room to find me working on them, there's a smile on my face.. so I'll keep on doing them! Oh, and I'm just about ready to start a quilt of my own!

Kay

• 14 years ago

My biggest reason for not participating is time.
    I enjoy reading about the LOTTOs and I always look up the block. The finished blocks are always so pretty. Finding a home would never be a prob for me. I intend to join some of the LOTTOs this year, but I will prob not have the chance to buy fabric that is not already in my stash. I live in the boonies and Wally World doesn't really carry WOW or repro fabrics LOL. I depend on online a lot.
    I also quilt for charity, knit prayer shawls, and seem to get many invites to baby showers and wedding showers.

I don't think the postage would be that much more for a 16" block.
    yes -Would you participate if the block was larger than 12" ?
    yes - if I had the fabric -Would you participate in a themed Lotto?
    yes - I look forward to seeing them-Do you even open (the Lotto thread) or follow the GW Lotto?
    no - Do you participate in Block Lottos elsewhere?
    no - they seem to work OK for everyone Do you want stricter rules?

I agree - thank you for your hard work -Woodenzoo does a remarkable job hostessing the Lotto, as did calliope when she filled in for Cathy last year. It is organized & appears to run flawlessly thanks to these two ladies during the year I have participated.
    Rosa

• 14 years ago

I know that somewhere on the site are the proposed blocks for the next few months, but if you want to keep interest up, you won't make people go hunting for them. It would help if that list were pulled up before the beginning of each month as a reminder. Out of sight/out of mind.

• 14 years ago

I wanted to post my 2 cents here . . . I used to participate in the monthly lottos, and haven't now for a while.

I think they are very well run and well organized, back then and same now. The organizers do a fabulous job.

The reason I haven't made one to send in recently is simply TIME. I know it sounds crazy that I can't find the time to make 1 block during the month, but it has been crazy busy here and has been for quite a long while now. I have barely been finding time to get my birthday blocks done on time, although I'm finally caught up there :)

I do definitely hope to be able to begin participating in the monthly lotto soon again. It is a wonderful idea and helps to challenge me to make and try new blocks and colour patterns that I haven't done before. Very occasionally, I would opt out of a certain block because it looked too difficult for me (I still consider myself a beginner), but mainly my problem is the time. I do like the occasional themes or quilters choice, but I think the regular monthly block lotto is great as well!

I do not participate elsewhere, on a different forum or anything like that. I do participate in the bday block swap here however.

I do look forward to seeing the lotto choices. I open the thread each month to see what the block is, and always make a note and plan to try to make a set . . . and lately just haven't had the time to get around to it. But I am always curious. I also love to see photos later of the winners and what they've made out of the lotto blocks.

I would love to start participating again, when things ease up a little!

• 14 years ago

I've been ill a few days & not even reading posts, so I'm just now seeing this thread. If it's not too late to add my 2 cents:

Love the lottos, have won one, scrappy trip around the world. At 1st was a little shocked (& disappointed,actually) at a few of the blocks. BUT then I remembered that they were to be SCRAPPY, & it WAS just a lotto - not blocks for a wedding quilt! lol It is what it is --- & I hope that doesn't offend anyone.
    I have the quilt together, it's 'standing in line' waiting for its' turn on the longarm. It actually turned out pretty cool! I like it a lot - & it's complete scrappiness adds to its' character. (You gotta understand this quilt has everything from Christmas fabrics to kids' novelty, Americana, glitter!, homespun, pastel, bright, black & even John Deere tractors! Quilt shop only fabrics by big-name designers to Wal-Mart sales.) Yet it's not WHAT is in the blocks or how perfectly made they are that makes it special-----it's where it came from & who made them. Originally I'd planned to give this one to charity (even before I saw it:), but now I'm keeping it. It's become a special reminder of all of you who did (or didn't) participate. It is to me what quilting is all about - people getting together to make something unique & wonderful out of nothing. We all come from a wide variety of places & backgrounds, yet this one thing brought us all together. In today's increasingly impersonal world that is a darned awesome thing!!
    I spent 2 hrs the other night choosing fabrics, cutting & sewing 3 blocks for March. I bought no new fabrics, used from my scraps. (I save nearly every tiny pc, a habit worthy of therapy I'm sure!!) I've read on past posts of some of you quilting for just 15-20 min, because that's all the time you have - & a few of those mini-sessions would work fine to add one block to a lotto in any given month. One block is great! it doesn't have to be 3 - & it keeps adding to the flavor of the quilt to be made! For one of the birthday blocks I didn't have a wide variety of brights (not my thing) & I bought a few fat qtrs. I've used off of those fq for a few other blocks - it never takes much fabric for 1 block! I've had a few friends suggest we have a 'fabric swap' soon - where what I don't want or no longer need I swap w/someone who has something I might want instead. I actually thought of you all - & how I could pick up some fabrics for birthday/lotto blocks in types that I don't normally have.
    Summing up - Yes, I will keep doing them - 16" is fine, (or whatever:) themed is fine, rules are fine. I do 3 birthday groups, the lottos, as well as some other things. Once gardening starts I may not do 2-3 blocks ea month, but I'll do at least one. I like the idea of keeping the lotto threads near the top (I once had to search a few pgs to find the color way, as I had forgotten) but the rules are listed ea month & are quite clear & simple. Hostesses have done an AMAZING job keeping it all organized & reminding us now & then what's coming due.
    I appreciate the questions, it helps clear things up & hopefully brings in some newbies & brings back some...oldbies (?is that a word??lol) I hope the lotto keeps going - it's one of my favorite things about this group!!
    ~Cindy

• 14 years ago

A big thanks to all of you for answering!

I certainly understand the time constraints - I work full time too and don't always have time to participate. I guess one of the reasons I like the lotto so much is that I can fit it in when I have time. It's a one block project that I can choose to do, or not, if it fits the available schedule. For me, that works.

Cindy, I love what you said about the group and agree that's part of the fun for me, too. Knowing it's a group project with the forum.

I like knowing the blocks that are coming and am so glad that information is now available. It gives me a chance to make a couple in advance when I do have the time. For those of you looking for the list of upcoming blocks, it's in the first post that Cathy makes about each month's lotto.

I haven't done a 16" block so I'm looking forward to that. I can hardly wait!

I like the idea of a theme too. Maybe that's something we can explore next year or even start later this year. The quilt guild I belong to has a theme each year and many of the members make 2 blocks each month. One block goes to the guild for a lotto and one they keep. At the end of the year they have their own 12 blocks that go together nicely in a quilt and maybe they've been lucky enough to win one of the lottos with enough blocks for another quilt. So it's a Block of the Month AND a monthly lotto, combined. Pretty cool.

Thanks again!

Kate

• 14 years ago

I also thank everyone who took the time to respond, especially since I so rudely piggybacked on Kate's question~LOL.

All your answers are insightful & not the least bit offensive. What we all have in common is a lack of time.
    Posting the future blocks is very helpful for those of us who do not have a huge stash or just don't fancy that particular fabric.

Since the winner of the Lotto gets to select the block & colorways to be made in the future, I think this thread is a good reminder of what people may like. It is hard to pick a block that will get enough participation & fit into the busy lives we all have. I hope the winner choosing is relieving Cathy of a little of the burden. She still has to keep us organized :).

Cindy said it perfectly. It is a Sharing of blocks - the Lotto drawing is just the venue to fairly select the person who receives them that month.

As far as the "rules"- I don't want stricter rules - just wondered if you all felt they needed to be tighter - after reading some other Lottos while searching for a popular, easy, different block. My 2 cents - I would rather send 1 really nicely sewn, pressed block that is the correct size - then 3 poorly constructed blocks because I was in a hurry. But, that is just me.

I hope this sparks some new interest or brings back someone who use to participate. The more people who submit just one block, the better-it isn't about winning so much as the opportunity to learn to sew a new block.

Thanks again for answering my questions - I will now go with my first choice of the large block. Look for it to be posted.

• 14 years ago

I was a newbie in a guild and there was a huge blow out because of the swap blocks some considered 'ugly'.
    I was way too intimidated to join and I hope our newbies do not feel that way.
    I like they way Cindy worded it. It is special because of the person making the blocks.
    We all have different tastes and I love diversity, plus I can always find someone to take the quilt!!!!
    We have had 3 fires posted in our newspaper in the past month and I can assure you not one of these poople would say NO to a comfort quilt!!
    Rosa

• 14 years ago

Cindy said it so beautifully...

I have done the Lotto twice last year and this year I'm in a BB exchange...LIFE just gets in the way of my quilting! I am slowing down a bit after 13 yrs of quilting and if you would see my UFO's you would be shocked! lol Always apprciated Sharon's efforts with monthly Goals!

Do keep posting. You'all are the BEST!
    Gwen

• 14 years ago

I'm with Gwen. Life just gets in the way here. If a lotto comes along just when I have a gap and I have the fabric called out, I will send one in. I only watch one other site but only this one for exchanges of any sort. Block size doesn't matter.

I have trouble keeping up all projects when there are "deadlines". But someday when all our elder care is over, I hope to be able to jump in more.

I love reading all about what is going on and seeing everyone's projects. Our swap moderators are awesome! Keep it up.

• 14 years ago

Hi there. I really like the block lotto. I try to participate in each one and at least 3 blocks. I try for one block first and if I get that one done then I go for 3. I figure with 3 maybe I will win. I haven't won yet but I will keep trying.
    You Ladies who run the lottos are wonderful and do a great job.
    yes - Would you participate if the block was larger than 12" ?
    yes - Would you participate in a themed Lotto?
    yes, always - Do you even open (the Lotto thread) or follow the GW Lotto?
    Not in any other group - Do you participate in Block Lottos elsewhere?
    The rules are pretty straightforward. Don't need more - Do you want stricter rules?

• 14 years ago

Same here as for most people, time or lack there of. I have 4 projects going on at the same time, while recuperating from surgery on both my hands. Over did it 2 weeks ago and paying the price for it ever since. I work, have a toddler, plus all the other stuff not conducive to finding me time right now.

Where did I leave that lottery ticket again??

• 14 years ago

I'm always intrigued by the block lotto, but lately most of the blocks have been beyond my skills (still a newbie), so I'm waiting until I'm better or you guys put up a simpler block ;)

It's funny, I wanted to start a block lotto on another forum recently, with the intention of doing simpler blocks, and got told no by the moderator, because it was a form of "gambling." ??? Seriously strange.

• 14 years ago

I see it more as a way to practice and share, instead of gambling. I would recommend you give the March block a try and see how it works for you. I think if you follow the directions you'll be fine. And each one will give you the confidence to try the next one. These are generally not difficult blocks. Cut to the given sizes, watch your seam allowances and press the seams as you go. Even if the blocks look complicated you'll see that they break down into easy pieces.

Kate

• 14 years ago

rivkadar - absolutely you should join. Commit to making 1 block - see how you do - ask questions here - start early so you aren't rushed. You may be surprised how well you do and how much it will improve your skills, providing you always try your best, that's all that's required (and the dollar for the hostess to cover mailing expense). I can't tell you how exciting it is to win and receive blocks from everywhere!

• 14 years ago

gambling???! that's a hoot!! whatever,-- different strokes for different folks I guess...
    I agree w/Kate - give the block a try for practice, you might surprise yourself! If you don't want to sign up for one, go ahead & try it & if you do like the way it turns out you can sign up. OR, do the blocks for practice & make yourself a sampler quilt w/your 'learning blocks'. Any way you slice it you can let it be good practice for you. It's all about learning & enjoying the process:) !! And we're always here to help if you need us!

~Cindy

• 14 years ago

I would be willing to try this month's block, but I don't have any 1930's reproduction fabric (only been quilting 6 months or so, and I don't really have a stash yet!) And I'll admit to being scared of it -- I haven't done triangles of any sort yet.

• 14 years ago

Here's a quilting secret: once you can do triangles you can make any quilt pattern! I was afraid of them too and it was one of my first lottos on this forum that got me to finally try them. They are much easier than they look! Well, after you mess up the first couple you try that is. But anything worth learning is worth messing up on so give it a try. Then look at other patterns and you'll see 90% of them depend on triangles. So once you get it you can do all of them!

Kate

• 14 years ago

I hesitated to add to this, but then I thought about the fact that you are trying to get respones from those who don't participate, so here it is...
    When I first visited the quilting forum, I was drawn in by the idea of the Birthday Block Exchange and that is usually my one activity that I do on the quilting forum. I did participate in a few FQ Swaps. For whatever reason, I don't get interested in the lotto. I echo what nanajyane said. I don't think there is anything in the rules that would make a difference to get me to participate - just not my thing!
    There are very nice quilters who oversee the group and participate in it, so this is not meant as any criticism of them.
    Since I am unlikely to participate, I will not go on to answer the other questions. Overall, participation in swaps seems to be decreasing. (I also do some swapping on the GardenWeb side so I notice it there as well.) I think part of that is the economy and also partly the price of postage.
    I'll bet interest will pick up later in the year!

• 14 years ago

I'm thinking it might be nice if whoever chooses the block and the colors/fabric to use would make a block and post a picture of it when the month's lotto is posted. Might be helpful to the newer quilters or those who haven't done this before. I've been a member of another forum for over 10 years and they also post a few layouts using the block. They don't call them a lotto, but a BOM.

I don't usually swap except for the BD swap here this year. I'm more into Quilt Alongs or things that don't need to be taken to the Post Office right now.

SharonG/FL

• 14 years ago

The reason I don't participate in the lotto is because I am involved in so many other quilting activities. I am doing the birthday block swap this year on two forums, belong to a guild that has a block of the month and I am also involved in a BOM at the local quilt shop. I always have several quilts of my own in progress too. I would love to have more time to do the lotto but have to draw the line somewhere.
    Linda

• 14 years ago

I like to participate when I can, but lately I haven't had the specific fabric required for the blocks.
    Buying it just for one block doesn't make much sense to me (and it's difficult to justify when you've got a family of 8!).
    :o)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals