SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammyw_gw

Pretty but durable everyday dining table?

tammyw
9 years ago

We are moving into a new home in one month. It's a very open floor plan, which I love. Attaching a picture - we will put a couple of counter height stools at the very large island (it's huge!) and then want to put a nice table under the "chandelier". The family room furniture will be over by the fireplace of course.

In our current house we have an Ethan Allen set - mid-color wood table top with a dark metal base and black wood chairs. I love it, but the table top would desperately need to be refinished, and the chairs have numerous paint chips. I believe it's all solid wood though. I love the contrast of the wood / metal / warm wood.

For our new house, we'll need to decide if we want to buy a new table or have the existing one refinished. I'm thinking it would be too expensive to refinish the chairs? Cheaper/easier to buy new?

If we buy new, what are good brands to consider? We LIVE on our table, never use a table cloth, pad, or placemats. Are we doomed? Do we need to consider using placemats? I'm okay with that, but even this table, when it was new, had too shiny of a surface, and when we used fabric placemats with hot plates of food, ended up leaving a mark. If we do decide to have the table refinished, we won't use a shiny finish.

Thoughts?

Comments (32)