SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Can someone tell me about carpet (wall to wall)?

lkplatow
13 years ago

All of my adult life, I've lived in old (or reproduction-old) houses with hardwood floors throughout. I've never shopped for wall to wall carpeting and in fact, my last encounter with it was some circa-1979 shag my parents installed in my bedroom when I was young.

We are turning our basement into a playroom and I really want nice cushy wall-to-wall down there (I think I'm rebelling against years of hardwood -- while beautiful, it's not very comfy to roll around with the kids on the floor, LOL!). When I look at ads or wander through the carpet section at Lowes, I'm overwhelmed by the number of selections and the variation in price. There's different textures, different fibers, and WAY different prices. I don't even know where to start as far as comparing one kind against another or knowing what would be best.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? The carpet will go down the stairs (I think -- or I could leave the stairs hardwood as well, since they have nice finished treads) and through the basement. I don't think I want anything shaggy because it will get beat-looking on the stairs, right? I was thinking berber, but then I hear that berber is cheap and doesn't last well. I'm looking for something that's kind of fun and funky because it's a combination media room/playroom - maybe something with a geometric pattern.

Any input/suggestions/guidance at all would be most welcome!

Comments (6)