SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_32503651

Basement wall waterproofing - can someone explain this to me?

Nan H
4 years ago

Hi! I live in a 43 year old small townhouse. I know very little about home repair, but I’m trying to learn! The drywall on my front basement wall was getting moldy, so I removed it to discover that the cinderblock wall behind it was damp (at times) and the wooden slats (are they called studs?) were rotting. I had 3 different companies come out to give advice - two wanted me to buy internal “French drain-type” systems and one suggested all I should do is “beef up” the soil in front of the house. I added soil to create a gradient away from the house which seemed to help a bit, but here’s my question: would an internal French drain system work if the water never actually gets near the floor? The wetness seeps through the cinderblock about half-way up the wall but it’s never enough to actually drip down the wall to make a puddle or anything close to that. My neighbor had a similar problem and he just “patched“ the wall with something (?) and replaced the drywall with a vent in it so moisture wouldn‘t build up behind it. Could anyone tell me if a French drain works if the water doesn’t ever hit the floor? Thank you for any insight you can give me!

Comments (5)