SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edie_tn

fiberglass pool - should I worry about flooding & pool popping ou

edie_tn
14 years ago

I have contracted to install a 28x14 fiberglass pool. The pool is 3' to 6' deep. My home is 45 years old, and just two years ago FEMA decided we were in a flood zone. So now we are forced to spend an enormous amount of money for flood insurance. Never has this home flooded in the past. Also, there is a huge ditch & easement right behind our back yard. About 5 years ago, prior to our purchase of this home, there were torrential rains in this area and the homeowner next door on the west side(who is not in a flood zone and their back yard is definitely lower than ours) flooded up to their back door and ruined the vinyl liner in their pool. According to our other neighbor, our yard did not flood. We have one area right at the edge of the fence on the west side that has standing water when it rains (about two feet wide and 6 feet long along the side of the fence), but the area the pool will sit has never had standing water.

The pool guy seemed a bit concerned when he was first told by my husband that we are in a flood zone. He studied the yard and feels there is an area where water flows from one side of our yard to the other. (Right about where I want the shallow end of the pool to be).

He said that we could raise the pool a foot or so higher than the ground which would help. Also, when he found out how much concrete deck I want poured on the one side (east side) of the pool, he said "if you are gonna have that much concrete over there, you will be fine". He also said that he would place a drain pipe under the concrete at the area that looks to be the area of most concern (this is an area that I have never seen standing water in, but would be the most likely area for water to travel towards the west side. He also said that he would have a footer placed around the edge of the concrete deck area. He also said that he would grade the ground to make water travel around the far side of the pool area. Also, this pool will be laid in gravel instead of sand.

My husband just had a little tantrum with me about my choice for this pool and won't listen to anything I am telling him the installer is going to do because he says he found a website where FEMA states any fiberglass pool should be placed on concrete pilars.... Also, he says the website he read said not to build above the existing structure, he says that by raising the pool we are doing this and it is a mistake. If we are grading to re-route water, how can a structure raised higher than the house be an issue?

My pool was ordered yesterday. The pool installer feels confident that we will be fine with all of the things that he will do.

Have I made a mistake? Should I be worried? In all honesty, I cannot imagine, especially with the precautionary things he plans to do, that this pool will be in trouble. I can't imagine it being in trouble even if we didn't do all these things. Am I just trying to talk myself into it?

I would appreciate some input from someone that knows about fiberglass installations.

Comments (5)