SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

BOUGHT some pillows. What do you think?

16 years ago

Bought some pillows last night.

I'm almost afraid to post the green ones because it looks like they clash horrible in these pics. They're silk. In person i think it looks nice. It is slightly off color but i really don't think anyone would even notice. Nobody should be trying to drag my pillows and curtains outside to compare color.

The only thing is they only had one green one. I figured i'd buy it and see, if i liked it i'd order the rest online. Well wouldn't ya know, they don't have the green ones online. gold, bronze..etc. NOT GREEN! So, I was going to call around to stores today and see if they can find any.

Before I do that what do you think?

{{!gwi}}

loveseat

{{!gwi}}

loveseat and view of chair

{{!gwi}}

sofa

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

close up view of both in natural light

{{!gwi}}

Forgetting about color for a min....I was going to buy two pillows for the sofa. How many for the loveseat? One or two? I was hoping to get away with one.

TIA

Comments (42)

• 16 years ago

Pretty pillows! They really look comfortable, too, which is always a good thing.

• 16 years ago

I think they work with the sofa and loveseat. In terms of numbers of pillows, I'd consider getting rid of some of the matching pillows- you can use one of them on the chair if you haven't gotten the pillow for it yet. For the sofa, I'd get the two green pillows for the ends and the loveseat the one pillow for the middle. One the sofa, you might try switching one of the matching pillows out with the dark red/burgandy diamond pattern one on the chair. that way, you'd bring the pattern from the sofa and loveseat all the way around the room, and you'd have a different pattern for the middle of the sofa pillow as well as the two ends (which would be green).

sorry that was so confusing....I wish I could draw this out for you;-) I think it's coming together nicely-- you've been working hard!

• Related Discussions

Some folks said this might be a fig - what do you think?

Q

Comments (6)
    IMHO, I would trim the largest limb on the left. The limb is too long in proportion to the rest of the tree and it does not benefit the tree. In addition, check to see how much sunlight you are getting in this spot. Since I see ferns at the foot of this fig I am inclined to wonder if this tree is gangly because it is not receiving enough light. Depending on your location you may want to consider moving this fig to a better position. Yadda out.
    ...See More

I bought the rug, what do you think?

Q

Comments (38)
    Hmm. not sure what I am going to do just yet about the placement. Unfortunately I can't play around with it until my DH returns home next week to help me... Until then it will stay just where it is!!! @prill, it def. is not a turquoise blue.. more of that blue/grey/green (or spa) color -Similar to what Restoration Hardware called Silver Sage. It changes with the light but it does not show turquoise in my house.
    ...See More

Ok finally bought some furniture--what do you think and 1 ?

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm assuming you will have a coffee table or ottoman, along with a side table or 2 and a lamp or 2 in the space. So, I would say go for the second chair in the same fabric (it would be nice if it was a little different style, though). My first thought was to add in something different but then I thought about the tables, lamps, and other stuff that will add in other colors. So my suggestion switched to "stick with these 2 colors, it will give you more leeway on curtains and other accents." It all sounds pretty, if you can share pics when everything is delivered that would be great :)
    ...See More

What do you think? I need some help with window treatments!! Please!

Q

Comments (18)
    I wouldn't go with a plain fabric but something such as what Jodie White posted on the right - something with some texture or as kelleg69 suggested, a geometric pattern that is a tone on tone. You also really need to think long and hard about how you feel about colour. If you do like colour you could try a yellow/grey pattern or an aqua/grey or cherry red/grey (ok that might be a little out there). Do you have some ideas as to what colours you will have as an accent in towels, mats, etc.
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

thanks guys.. i'm starting to feel a little better about my LR.

decorpas - that makes sense about moving the diamond pillow to the middle of the couch. you don't think the size of the diamond pillow or the ones on the sofa/l.seat are too large for the chair?

don't think the green pillows look hideous with the curtains? like i said they look much better in person. they don't match perfectly but ....

i'm going to call now to see if i can get two more. crossing my fingers...

• 16 years ago

they have three! think i'm only going to get two (two for the couch, one for the loveseat)

heading over at lunch.

• 16 years ago

I think the diamond-patterned red one is wrong for your room...too much harsh contrast. If you put it on the sofa it won't look right, either. The green is a nice color and goes well with your furniture.

• 16 years ago

I've been out of touch for awhile-- last I knew you were looking at the craigs list chair. I think it looks great!! Good eye! (and good thing you saw it before I did-- it was right in my town haha)

I LIKE the green-- I also like decorpas' idea to use the red diamond pillows on the sofa with the green. I think the different colors and patterns give it that "special" touch.

You are doing great! What's next?

• 16 years ago

The red diamond pillow is too red for the couch, and perhaps the wrong shape for the chair. I would look for a lumbar pillow or a small bolster pillow instead. The pillows shouldn't feel like a barrier to being seated, and that is kind of what the red one does on that chair. Try taking one of the couch pillows that you are going to replace and if you can remove the cover, roll it into a bolster shape and put on the chair.

I think the green pillows are fine. I know you keep saying the drapes are green, but on my monitor they are taupe like your flooring.

• 16 years ago

funkyart - i forgot you're around there! It was posted back in mid April... i'm not sure how i missed it! I'm glad i got the chair now but when i first got it home the more i scrubbed the more irritated i got. since the lady was saying how there was nothing wrong with it. Oh well ...it looks pretty good now! Check this one out...(see link) looks more tan to me. white would be scary.
    les - computer monitors are so fun. especially when ordering things. The pillow does look more red on here than what it does in person also. it actually is pretty accurate with the couch material. it's silk though so i think that's why it's showing up a different color with the camera/monitors.
    i think i would like the red pillow i bought more if it were cut in half (more rectangular) i just loved something about this pillow but the whole time in the store i was thinking to myself..."what about the shape.. it could be too large..blahblah"

it's sort of funny while shopping since i found this forum i catch myself thinking wish i could call someone from the forum and be like..."what do you think about this" or email someone quick. haha

Here is a link that might be useful: Pretty Chair

• 16 years ago

funkyart - i just realized that zip is in shippensburg. not sure close but still a nice chair!

• 16 years ago

I like the idea of using one of the couch cushions on the new chair. I'm not crazy about the new red cushion though. The red seems off and out of place, not quite right. Also, you have a lot of the red already in the couch and loveseat. It might be nice to see something lighter. Can you post a pic with one couch cushion on the chair? It's hard to tell the colors in the couch. They come off a little on the persimmon side? Not red? I like the pop of the light green.

• 16 years ago

Hey there,

Well, in a perfect world, the diamond pillow could be smaller, but frankly, I think it adds texture to the sofa and differentiates it from the love seat. Try it out and see if it works. I like the idea of using a sofa pillow on the chair-- you can try it out for size, but I wouldn't get too hung up on that at this point. It would be great to have the room feel good, and then work on fine-tuning it as time and finances allow. I am also a fan of not having things perfectly matched, so the reds being slightly off wouldn't bother me one bit. You add texture and visual interest this way. You can beef this up later with accessories that are different shades of the red color, greens, taupes, golds.

The curtains looked more taupe to me than green, but again, this didn't bother me. Things don't need to match, just to please your eye and feel like they belong together.

Long term, you might find a smaller bolster pillow in a color like the curtains and use that in the middle of the sofa. You might use the fabric from one of the sofa pillows to make a smaller pillow for the chair. You have tons of options...but this is a process, and I would enjoy where it is right now.

It's all evolving, and that is supposed to be the fun part-- getting there. Not arriving;-)
    I like what you've done so far!

• 16 years ago

oops, sorry- glad to hear the pillow is a good color for the sofa; it looked that way on my monitor, but you never know!

maybe you can eventually make a smaller pillow out of that diamond pillow? I also love the texture on it and can see why you bought it.

I may have gotten a bit esoteric in my post:-) "the journey" and all....that comes from me having to constantly tell myself that I can relax, it doesn't have to be perfect today. But here you are, actually working on your room, so you probably didn't need to hear my ramblings!

Can't wait to see it tonight after you get the other green pillows.

• 16 years ago

decorpas - thanks so much! thanks to everyone else as well. That made me feel better.
    Just got back from picking up my other two pillows and was second guessing myself again. You're right about the "journey". I want the whole room done NOW. ha we've only lived in the house about 1 1/2 months! I've been second guessing myself over everything from the curtain, furniture to pillows, carpet color... . i should lighten up a bit as none of these material things really make the house a home. When i start to get about half rattled with this sort of thing i usually just totally stop thinking about it for days, weeks... just for a break. I think that's the point I'm at. I'll take some pics tonight. I'm also going to float the furniture. I did take some shots of the loveseat floated in one of my other threads in OPT2 but didn't have the other stuff situated around it. Maybe someday i'll be able to see past my nose and something will look 'right' in the LR as far as the arrangement.

• 16 years ago

sheesharee,

Your post made me smile. I can totally relate! Your room is already looking good-- it's just hard to tell when you're in the thick of it. I know I need to stop over-thinking sometimes, so I can listen to my heart about what I love and how I feel about the room. You are making good progress! The floating project should be fun; and it might help to take pictures of it. DH hates it when I float things sometimes, but he has taken to putting everything on an angle now. Even when I don't want it that way;-) IF you take pics, you can look at them later with an objective eye. During the floating, it can look out of whack sometimes because we're so used to it one way.

you've only been there a month and a half! I've been here a year and a half and I still haven't picked out paint for ONE room. Usually, when I have the house the way I like it, we move within months or weeks of that moment. ha! Maybe I'm just trying to stay here longer?

Can't wait to see your pics! Here's a phrase I say to myself when making big decor decisions: be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.

I don't know who said that, but it makes me smile anyway.

• 16 years ago

Hi Sharee, one thing I notice is that all of your room fabrics seem to have a sheen to them. A mix of textures is good. I also think the diamond pattern of the red pillow is too similar for the tufts on the chair (and the pillow too big for it also : )

Just a couple things to keep in mind! : )

• 16 years ago

what about this pillow for the chair? i know it's still shiny but it's smaller and i like it.
    {{!gwi}}

• 16 years ago

that's very nice, like the use of gold to tie in with sofa colors and the size looks perfect.

• 16 years ago

here's some pics of all the green pillows and the new red one on the couch.

i didn't care for the red on the sofa. it just wasn't cutting it. maybe too much shiny stuff. i took a pic. but when i loaded them this morning it's really dark and you can't even see it. sorry about that! i just love this pillow but i may end up taking it back because of the size. i questioned that when i bought it. when will i learn to listen to the instinks... might buy the smaller red and gold one i posted above. going to look around more tonight.

Still not sure if i'm going to keep the green pillows. I've come to the conclusion i like the fact that the green breaks up the dark and i think i do need something but perhaps in a different texture. I had a gift card i was trying to use. ....

here's a pic that shows both pieces of furniture

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

gosh they look so metallic in these pics! eek!...........

• 16 years ago

follow your instinct and return them; they pop out way too much; I think the cat agrees with me, lol, as he walks away.

• 16 years ago

ha the next to the last picture of Shorty the green is shining off his face!
    back to square one. should i go with like a suede/microfiber material? a lot of pillows are like that. can i get away with a darker green such as this...? or do i need to go lighter? I'm also thinking the pillows should be slightly smaller than the ones already there.

{{!gwi}}

should i bag the green and go with a gold color? there's both green and gold in the couch. Only reason i'm suggestion that is because i don't think i'll ever be able to find a green that will totally match my curtains. it might not be as bad though if i get a material that's not shiny.

• 16 years ago

I like the green color- is it the shiny texture that has you re-thinking this? I actually like the way they pop off the red and pick up the accent color, but maybe if they were in a velvet or some other rich but not shiny fabric, you would feel that they balanced more. The sofa fabric is very weighty and maybe that is what is throwing it off for you.
    Maybe you need to look at some natural fabrics that are strong- like chenille, tapestry, velvet etc.
    Also, try looking at pillows with some fringe to balance the visual weight of the sofa.

Do you sew? I'd throw some fringe around those guys and be done with it-- but then, I'm kind of lazy like that;-) You can glue gun fringe on, you know. There was a great blog form some women who glue gunned her whole house together and it was gorgeous. Does anyone remember who that was?

Inspiration:

What do you think about these? They are very expensive, but they are good examples of weighty pillows which you can find for much less. Imagine them in gold or green or taupe like your curtains:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: luxury pillows

• 16 years ago

I like the green, but do think the shiny ones seem to flash a bit much. I think the microfiber pillows in green would still bring in that punch of color, but in a more subtle way.

Love the kitty! :-)

• 16 years ago

decorpas - i LOVE all those pillows! they are a bit out of my price range right now. I don't really sew. I've done the occasnional button or hole. the glue gun thing sounds easy. i would feel more comfortable doing that. find me some cheaper ones! :)

these pillows don't look that shiny in person but the color is a bit more...shiny olive? If my curtains were different i don't think i'd mind them as much. i do like fringe but since the other pillows already had it i thought maybe i should stay away?...

my curtains are these.....

{{!gwi}}
    this pic i would think shows them better than my pics. they're really not a taupe color. they're labled "sage"

if you look at the darker sides of the pillows (where the flash isn't hitting) that's pretty close to the color they look in person.

• 16 years ago

It is hard to read the couch colors. Is it a red or spice color and dark gold? I would pick up on the darker gold/ bronze maybe and see how that looks. For the chair I would look for a lumbar type pillow. I know you wanted to bring in a third color in the green. Target has a great selection of pillows. Here are a few:
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• 16 years ago

kmcg - i like that pillow. target's where i've been looking actually and got both the green and red pillows from. (gift card) i honestly don't shop there much. trying to convince someone to buy it off me. ha ANYONE? I was hoping to see that first pillow you posted in person but they didn't have them in the store.

someone want to photoshop a gold/bronze pillow on the furniture.

i'm sure everyone's tired of seeing my cats but this is a pretty accurate color of my furniture.
    i would call it a crimson color. it's...changes color slighty if you brush it. little lighter to dark. overall it looks dark. that sounds confusing but hopefully when you see the pic you'll get what i mean. there's tanish gold color in there, dark green...even a little black if you start looking real close.
    {{!gwi}}

• 16 years ago

here's a few ideas. I am sure I have appalled many people with the glue gun thing. However, now that I managed to do that, I might as well take it all the way-- you can also hand sew fringe onto an existing pillow if you want to later. See blog link below for instructions (not my blog). Sorry about the links below-- you have to copy and paste because I couldn't get more than one link in per post.

http://www.designerlinensoutlet.com/store/product1.asp?Product_ID=110383&ProdName=Mohawk-Home-Huntington-Chenille-Decorator-Pillow

in aspen gold:
    http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25436&CatID=29143&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=C&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=13ebdb1&ProdSeq=12&Cat=accent+pillows&Dep=Bed+%2b+Bath&PCat=bedding+accents&PCatID=29097&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=35&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0amp;RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=29097&RefDeptID=25436&Page=2&CmCatId=EXTERNAL:29097:29143

tarragon:
    http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25436&CatID=29143&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=C&GrpTyp=STY&ItemID=13fbe9d&ProdSeq=13&Cat=accent+pillows&Dep=Bed+%2b+Bath&PCat=bedding+accents&PCatID=29097&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=35&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0amp;RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=29097&RefDeptID=25436&Page=2&CmCatId=EXTERNAL:29097:29143

lentil;
    http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/ProductsHOM.aspx?DeptID=25436&CatID=29143&CatTyp=DEP&ItemTyp=C&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=13eff99&ProdSeq=22&Cat=accent+pillows&Dep=Bed+%2b+Bath&PCat=bedding+accents&PCatID=29097&RefPage=ProductList&Sale=&ProdCount=35&RecPtr=&ShowMenu=&TTYP=&ShopBy=0amp;RefPageName=CategoryAll%252Easpx&RefCatID=29097&RefDeptID=25436&Page=3&CmCatId=EXTERNAL:29097:29143

Here is a link that might be useful: glue gun lady's beautiful blog:-)

• 16 years ago

I like the green pillows & think that you could definitely use them.

What I like better however are the examples of pillows that decorpas & kcmg posted. I really like the color variations and coordinating shapes & sizes.

I agree w/ Les about the red pillow on the chair & considering a lumbar style pillow for it.

• 16 years ago

after many different stores...

i finally found pillows at JC Penny that i liked.. they're called "brass"

not sure what it was about the green ones that weren't working. whether it was the color, shine, or the fact that it was really plain.. they're going back. i also think i'm going to take back the burgundy one on the chair. everytime i see it on pics i think it looks just too big. :(

it came down to these and green ones i found.
    here's a pic of the green one that i didn't buy. ignore the other gold one in the pic. they look square in the pic but they were rectangle and big.
    {{!gwi}}

here's what i ended up with

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• 16 years ago

decorpas - thanks for all the links! i like all those pillows! and yes that lady did hot glue! i'd be afraid to glue $35 a yard silk also!! ha. she is right about just peeling it off later. I need to hunt for a glue gun..:) My mom used to have one. She hasn't used it in years so she probably got rid of it.

• 16 years ago

The quilting looks PERFECT with your sofa texture and the colors rock. Great job!!! What is on the chair now? are you still looking for that one? I was shocked by JCP - everyone talks about how they've changed, but I hadn't looked there until I was searching for pillow examples for your room...I found a few other pillows there for another friend. So, your room inspired me:-)

Yes, that Nesting lady is bold and fearless. I am lazy and take short cuts, but have not yet glue gunned onto silk. I have however used the seamless glue stuff to make many silk taffeta seams. And I did glue (sans gun) some fringe onto a table cloth just a few weeks ago.

Great job-- Looking forward to your next pictures. Let us know what you find for the chair. It would be great to bring that red over to the chair, or if you have a red throw, you could put that over the arm of the chair and use a green pillow with some red fringe (your colors, not Christmas colors, which is what my description is sounding like). the first bolster type that kmcg posted is what I am thinking- with a leaning toward the green if you have a red throw.

I have a red throw that I no longer use. If you want it, let me know:-) It's chenille. It's not fancy, but it's soft and comfy and it looks like it is the red of your sofa. a cranberry kind of red.

• 16 years ago

decorpas- thank you!! I'm glad my room inspired you!

this is what's on the chair currently. (the chair is isn't in this corner anymore)

{{!gwi}}

I love the pillow just wish it were smaller! i'm not about to try and rip it apart and resew. It's silk and i'll end up ruining it Does the seamless glue work well? There's a valance i want to buy. Don't think i feel like taking a chance to sew it myself. But if i bought it i'd want to add some fringe to the bottom. I may end up gluing instead of hand sewing.

I think the green pillows were making me feel like it was getting Christmasy. I know everyone says you can decorate using red and green and not have this happen but just because the colors relate so well...it just wasn't working for me..

I have fleece throw someone bought us for Christmas...it's not the right color red and cat hair would stick horrible to it. I vacuum regularly both my floors and furniture but you still find it. How does cat hair do with chenille? Would you use a throw and a pillow? The bolster type, the more i looked at it, i was afraid it wouldn't look right. I picture them more on a bed. I was looking for something about half the size of what i currently have.

• 16 years ago

Yes, half the size would be great. I'm afraid cat hair will stick to chenille pretty badly! sorry! I would have loved to send to you!!! Let me know if you want it anyway:-)

I love the seamless sewing glue. It works very well. The only caveat is that you shouldn't use it on light fabric- like sheers or a lighter silk, to do side hemming, as I have had the little spots show through. But for putting trim on, no problem! My method is to glue the trim on, use pins to keep it in place and let dry overnight. If your trim is super heavy, you might try your glue gun instead.

I'm so excited for you and I think you've made the perfect choice with the pillows. The gold is so pretty and the pattern on them is elegant and right with your sofa.

You might notice that you like that diamond pattern, as it is on your chair, the red pillow on the chair, and those new pillows. Just sayin, in case you are wondering what you're drawn to. You might think about repeating that pattern eventually with a lamp shade in gold harlequin or whatever.

Have fun and let us know what you find for the chair!

• 16 years ago

you really don't want your chenille blanket??.....

going to buy some seamless glue also!

i did notice the diamond thing. wasn't sure if that was also too much for the chair. getting maybe too matchy matchy as i've notice is a big no no on here.

found this floor lamp on the JC Penny site and now i'm kicking myself for the flower lamp.
    {{!gwi}}

It was a wedding present from my sister and brother in law. i actually picked it out! at that time we didn't have the house or anything for in it. Don't want to crush my little sister so for now it will have to stay. in another thread someone suggested i could move it to a bedroom.

Do need to find a lamp for my round table...

i'll post more pics when i find something else for my chair!

• 16 years ago

I am not doing red anymore. I am actually having to put up for sale an antique red and goldish/bronze chair today! Wish you were close by;-)

I moved to a humid climate and for some reason, the red just isn't where I am at now. I loved it while I had it and I'm sure I will do it again.

Can I send you an email with my email address so you can send me your address? If so, I'll ship the blanket to you. It might not happen this week, as I am currently avoiding work which is pilling up buy the second...but it would give me a good feeling to know it was being enjoyed and I do think it would be nice in your room.

Love that lamp! well, there's time for all of that. You might want to do a different texture/pattern on the chair because it is tufted and has that pattern already.

• 16 years ago

that chair sounds awesome!

my email is mosscow9@hotmail.com i can pay you for the shipping.

i have my friends keeping their eyes peeled for pillows for the chair. everyone carries cameras with them when they go out! ha i love having mine with me. even though people look at you funny.

• 16 years ago

I sent you an email with the subject GW chenille throw:-)

• 16 years ago

what about this pillow for the chair? or should i not go with a pattern that bold because of my other furniture? here's other pics so you don't have to scroll back up.

pillow
    {{!gwi}}

chair
    {{!gwi}}

other furniture
    {{!gwi}}

• 16 years ago

yeah..i'm bumping my own thread..

• 16 years ago

Sorry, I wasn't on last night! While the colors are great on that one and the size seems just right, I think if you look for a solid or a pattern other than the paisley, you will have better luck. If you want a pattern, try a wider plaid or stripe (like a taffeta type). You could also get a velvet pillow (reddish) with gold or bronze trim.

It's really about feeling some harmony when you look at the room- and the two different paisleys might fight one another or compete...and you know how that is:-)

What do you think?

• 16 years ago

decorpas - i think you're probably right.....

guess i was hoping that since it was across the room the pattern wouldn't be a big deal. I 'really' like this pillow. More of a jacquard..

I'm not the biggest fan of stripes and never been a fan of plaid. I think it looks great in people's houses when done right. I just can't see it in my own. ...

Wish i could find a velvet like pillow with tassles. Like those really nice expensive ones you posted way above. Just cheaper. ha you get what you pay for.

• 16 years ago

LOVE THESE! ha i'm assuming these wouldn't work either. .....

Here is a link that might be useful: brown with black velvet

• 16 years ago

they have gold and black too. Maybe i shouldn't go with with a red/crimson color pillow for that chair. My lamp right beside it is burgundy and the pic frame i have on the table is the red color.... there is other black accents in the room such as the curtain rod, the hardware on the entertainment stand and the pic frame i have on the round table had a black boarder.
    i know this has a loud pattern...

Here is a link that might be useful: gold and black