SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Cataract surgery whine........

alisande
12 years ago

I had cataract surgery on my right eye last week, and on my left eye two days ago. Because my insurance (or any other) will pay for lens implants that will correct my astigmatism, I paid $2,000 for them. The plan was to correct the right eye for distance vision, and to make the left eye slightly nearsighted, to give me clear vision around the house, for the computer, to put on makeup, etc. They call it mini-monovision. I would need drugstore glasses for reading.

The right eye is great; I have 20/20 distance vision. It's quite remarkable to me, as I've been severely nearsighted all my life. The only unpleasant thing was seeing my face clearly for the first time--yikes, all those wrinkles! It was like watching an aging actress on High Def TV. LOL

But so far I'm not happy about the left eye. When I looked at the letters on the screen at my checkup yesterday, I saw double: a ghosted image of the letters above them. The technician seemed somewhat concerned, but was told it was because my eye was still dilated. I was hoping I'd wake up with good vision this morning, but it's quite the opposite. My right eye is still good, but I can't find anything at any range that's in focus with the left. It's a struggle to use the computer, or to see anything that's not far away.

I have an appointment next Wednesday, so I'll bring this up then if things haven't improved. Right now the lens is still settling in and becoming fully attached, so I'm hoping that's the cause--although the vision in my right eye was great from the start.

Another difference between the two is that even though my left eye is no longer dilated, I feel a stabbing pain in it every time I go near light, even a low-intensity lamp.

Anyone else have this surgery? What was your experience?

Comments (17)