SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Cataract surgery update

alisande
12 years ago

Things have improved greatly since my Cataract Surgery Whine, but I'm hoping they'll get better still. I can drive at night now, which is a big plus. A rather large minus is that I can no longer use my left eye at my camera's viewfinder, but the good folks at DPReview.com tell me there are things I can do to make that possible again. I was happy to hear that.

I'm puzzled why my right eye focuses at such a long range (far distance down to about two feet) and my left eye has an extremely shallow depth of field (like a camera with the lens wide open). I think it focuses over the span of no more than about one foot. I asked my doctor about this, but he just said we'll see how it's doing in three weeks. When I pointed to one of his instruments, he said it was in focus for my left eye, and I said no, it's in focus with my right. So I have the feeling my vision isn't exactly what he expected following the surgery.

However, what I don't know about eyes would fill a library of medical books. So I'll be patient until my 3-week appointment, and see what happens.

I was reading posts on DPReview from a man who had Crystalens implants (the ones that Florence Henderson advertises). My doctor won't use these because of the risk of problems. I got the impression that he tried them when they first came out, but some patients didn't do well. Anyway, the DPReview guy insists he likes them, BUT in the past two years he's had to have two additional surgeries because his vision kept deteriorating. I believe Crystalens implants cost more than three times the $2,000 I paid for my Toric lenses. (Torics are designed to correct astigmatism.)

The other thing I have to get used to is using reading glasses. So far I've bought four pairs, and I'm not thrilled with any of them. I'm trying to find which strength is best for rug hooking, and I'm going to give sewing a shot soon. I've given up reading in bed for now. In fact, I've given up reading anything for now, until the dust settles a bit.

I stupidly ordered one of those split, ergonomic keyboards. I always wanted to try one, and this model got rave reviews on Amazon. But when it arrived, it was yet another thing to get used to. Instead of throwing it out the window (my first impulse), I sent it back. I had to pay for the return, but it was worth it not to have to think about it. My son says we'll find a nice keyboard for me at a hamfest (amateur radio operators' flea market, for the uninitiated). :-)

Comments (2)