SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vicky4x4

Question for today 4/2

vicky4x4
15 years ago

Do you have a computerized or a mechanical sewing machine? What brand do you own?

I have both kinds, the majority of my sewing is done on a computerized Kenmore or Jamone we have one of each. I also have an older White sewing machine that is great for sewing rag/jean quilts.

Vicky

Comments (16)

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

I have both -- use mostly computerized, but my old singers are still built the best.

• geezerfolks_SharonG_FL
    15 years ago

Computerized....Quilter's Dream

SharonG/FL

• jennifer_in_va
    15 years ago

yes lol

I have 2 computerized Janomes...one is my workhorse, 1 is my backup

I have 1 mechanical Juki on my quilt frame.

I have 1 industrial cast iron Singer treadle/electric (mechanical) that sews through leather like butter

I also have a serger and a Brother embroidery (computerized)

(plus 2 other antiques that don'y run)

• itsmesuzq
    15 years ago

Since I just started quilting I only have one machine. It's a Viking Emerald 118. I thought this would be a good machine to learn on, grow into and then when I feel I know the basics really well I'll move up to a computerized.

I am totally hooked on quilting so I am very interested in what everyone uses...thanks for a great question.

Susan

• magothyrivergirl
    15 years ago

I have both -
    1. Pfaff Quilt Expressions 2048 new in Sept 08 - I am still learning how to use it.
    2. Pfaff 1222e - a work horse that is 39 years old - mechanical, the "e" meant electronic - and a free arm - both very progressive features for domestic sewing machines in those days. Saved up years of babysitting money to buy it & the cabinet. I love that machine. When we got married, it was the most valuable thing we owned. I wanted it listed on our renter's insurance.
    3. Mechanical LSZ Ultrafeed for heavy canvas work and sails, etc
    4. Serger I almost never use.
    5. A Brother bottom line, basic- that was my Mom's -she never sewed - I keep it around because it winds the bobbins for the LSZ better then the LSZ ( and it belonged to my Mom)

• msmeow
    15 years ago

I have both, also - a Brother PC8500 sewing/emb machine that is 6 years old, and a Juki mechanical machine, usually on my quilting frame. Right now I'm piecing with it b/c Mr. Brother doesn't seem to want to come home from the spa!

I also have a basic White serger that doesn't get much use b/c the threading is such a pain, and once I finally get it threaded, one of the threads breaks after a while and I have to start all over again.

Donna

• gininmn
    15 years ago

Mechanical. I have my trusty 45-46 yo Singer, a cheapy White that I've hardy use because I can't get it threaded properly and the manual is hopeless (blurry print, parts crossed out and overwritten in pen), and just yesterday I bought a Singer Esteem 1732. Factory rep was at Hancock's for one day and it seemed like a good deal. It's supposed to sew much thicker pieces than w/ my other, automatic tension adjustment and self-threader and has a serger foot. I read mixed reviews about it (after I bought it)--some said it was great, other that it was terrible, mainly because of tension adjustment problems. I will see when mine arrives next week.

I was considering getting a good quality computerized one in a year or two but that's out now. I spent the money on an elliptical exerciser.

• love2sew
    15 years ago

I have 1 computerized Bernia 153 and my old Kenmore workhorse from the 70s as a backup.
    I would love to have a mid size long arm but don't have the space.
    Jean

• gerizone5
    15 years ago

Jean, I also would love to have a mid-size long arm but no space:(

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

My computerized machine is a Viking Quilt Designer which I love. My former Viking which I also loved was a 450.

My mechanical machines are a Singer 221 Featherweight from 1947, my mom's Singer 15-91, and my Singer Fashion Mate 237 from 1969. I also have a Brother Serger.

• mayme
    15 years ago

I have an Elna's Quilters Dream. A Juki on
    my Grace frame. My Mom's feathrweight. A
    treadle, and 3 other very old machines I
    picked up at auctions.
    Mayme

• mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

I have both types.

Mechanical: two very elderly Singers, a Babylock serger, and a Consew industrial machine.

Computerized: A Pfaff 7570 with an embroidery unit, an Elna Pro 5000 5-thread serger, and my baby the APQS Millennium with a stitch regulator.

• nanajayne
    15 years ago

I have a computerize Embroidery Janome 9000, Baby Loc Espire Quilters Dream. I use them both but as the Baby loc is the newest that does most of the work. I have a 1955 Singer 221 Featherweight, but don't have the room to keep it set up. It's in great condition. I have a My Lock Janome serger that I use quite often. I also have a old White treadle machine but really have not done much with it. I was the one I learn to sew on a billion years ago.
    I also would like to have a long arm but there is no room in my little house.
    Jayne

• polardream
    15 years ago

Computerized: I have a Pfaff 7570 but did not spring the $$ for the embroidery unit.
    Also have a Singer Serger mechanical but don't use much anymore.

Dream about fancy longarm machines ...

• grammyp
    15 years ago

I have 2, both mechanical. I have a Janome and an old Singer. I had a Dressmaker, but gave it to DD. It was a workhorse, but limited stitches.

beverly

• deannabsd
    15 years ago

I have a Kenmore that I am guessing is 50 years old and then I recently purchased a Bernina virtuoso 153 Quilters edition. I really don't use it any differently than my kenmore except now I have 1/4 inch foot that I love!!
    Deanna