SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tlaloc_gw

IntelliTouch or Hayward automation with IntelliFlo VF 3.2 KW

tlaloc
15 years ago

I have the following pool/spa setup.

18500 gallon Fiberglass in ground pool with tile around the top and stamped concrete decking.

400 gallon Fiberglass in ground spa with same tile and decking.

Current Equipment:

Lars Gas Heater, Hayward C3020 (300 sq-ft) cartridge filter, Polaris Pool Sweep (380) with booster pump, 240V spa blower, WhisperFlo 1HP single speed pump, and a 400W pool light. 100 Amp subpanel w/ 2 mechanical clocks (one for recirculation pump and one for booster pump).

The plumbing coming up to the equipment pad is 2'' suction for pool and spa, a single 2'' return for spa and two 1 1/2'' return pips for pool (1 comes out side of pool for sweep and 2 skimmers on the far end of the pool).

The whisperflo pump is leaking at the seal when turned on, so it needs service or replacement soon. I plan to redo my entire equipment pad plumbing since it's currently wacky in that the intake value is a 2'' and the return valve is 1 1/2''.

One last snag, my spa is separate from the pool and has no overflow into the pool, will this be a problem? Currently when the values aren't in the exact right position running the pool filter sometimes slowy drains or fills the spa, which I manually correct by running water from pool to spa or vice versa.

I've been reading this forum for some time now and based on a number of posts I've read here and other research I've done I feel an IntelliFlo VF pump will save me a ton of money over my current pump. I plan to keep my current heater, filter and booster pump, but replace everything else on the equipment pad.

In addition I want to add solar heating and possibly replace the pool light with a LED based one in the future.

I was all set to get the IntelliFlo VF 3.2 KW pump, the IntelliTouch Load Center, IntelliTouch i7+3 (or possibly i9+3), the Intellitouch PC Interface and the IC40 IntelliChlor, an extra value actuator for the solar and a set of solar panels which would go on the roof of my single story ranch home about 20 feet from the equipment pad.

Then I read about the new Hayward Sense and Dispense system which would get me fully automated control of the salt cell and allow the option of adding and acid pump or CO2 dispenser as well (currently I'm using liquid chlorine for my pool sanitizing and the PH seems to keep itself pretty much in balance, so unless the salt cell will push the PH up even faster than the liquid chlorine does the PH might not be an issue).

So the other option I've been considering now is the Aqua Logic Combo Kit PS-8, with the Hayward Sense and Dispense - Total Pool Chemistry - AQL-CHEM (and possibly later the AQL-CHEM2 for the CO2 dispensing)

However I'm not quite sold on the TriStar Variable Speed pump, so I'd end up having getting the IntelliFlo VF 3.2KW and Intellicomm to use the VF pump with the hayward system, which seems a bit costly.

Here are my questions:

* Currently I plan to go to all 2'' plumbing on the equipment pad. Is there any point going to 2 1/2'' or 3'' there or to the solar panels?

* How does the TriStar Variable Speed compare to the IntelliFlo power usage wise? Living in CA that's my #1 concern.

* Does anyone have experience with Hayward Sense and Dispense and is it worth it over just a plain salt cell for residential pool/spa combos?

* Can either of the control system run water from the pool to the spa or back, or can I just manually move the values even with the actuators?

* Any other comments on reliability for the above 2 setups?

Comments (4)