SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scarlett001

Hardwood flooring - my preferences are not "trendy"

Scarlett001
11 years ago

I am starting to narrow down choices for new hardwood flooring in my living room. The floor that I starting to focus on is not "trendy" at all based on hardwood flooring that I've seen in flooring stores, interior design shows, as well as in showhomes.

I am leaning towards a warm golden colour of oak (not trendy at all right now) that is a good choice to meet several criteria - it works with the interior design look that I am creating and works with my trim and existing hardwood (latter is in the den) - I cannot afford to replace the other hardwood or tackle the trim. Perhaps even more strange, I find myself compelled with the visual of 2 1/4" width and the 2 1/2" hardwood (the floor comes in both of these widths and I think that I like 2 1/2" best) - I'm not that fond of the 3 1/4" width. I've been staring at photos of different plank widths as I want to like the 3 1/4" width - I cannot put into words why, but I am more attracted to the smaller width planks.

I don't plan on selling my house, so I don't think that resell is an issue in any of this. I just feel strange that I am attracted to a flooring choice that is not a pale neutral or an espresso shade etc. (so my colour choice is not trendy) and I like the narrow 2 1/2" width that is also not trendy. I just feel as if something is wrong with me and it makes me second guess myself since my choice is so out-of-sync with current flooring trends - I guess this does not matter as this flooring will look great for the look I am creating in my house. Any words of wisdom??

This post was edited by Scarlett001 on Sat, May 11, 13 at 4:11

Comments (21)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH