SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fyton2v

New pool build in Thousand Oaks, CA

fyton2v
12 years ago

Hi everyone. I've gained a lot of info from the forum and I thought would give back by posting some progress pics of my owner/builder pool adventure. I'm almost at 2 weeks in since the start of excavation.

First some specs:

- In-ground gunite pool with 18" raised bond beam and spa 18" above the deck.

- Approx 670 sq ft. Maybe 25,000 or 30,000 gallons. Not really sure yet.

- Beach entry.

- Spa will have cascading ledger-stone waterfall.

- Not sure what finish I'm going to use, but will probably be a pebble product.

- Going to use mostly Jandy equipment:

- 400K natural gas heater

- 580sq ft cartridge filter

- 2HP variable speed ePump for filtration

- 3HP Stealth pump for spa jets

- 2HP Stealth water feature booster pump

- Jandy Aqualink RS controls and switches

- Aquapure SW chlorination system (I have mixed feelings on this due to city water waste ordinance)

- Not sure about lights yet. Pool has 2, spa has 1. I'll do colored LED in the spa, but I may not want purple pool water.

- Plumbing stuff:

- 3 2.5 inch suction runs across pool and spa. 2 skimmers.

- 4 returns in pool via 2" pipe reduced to 1.5" pipe at inlets.

- 2 returns in spa via single 2" pipe.

Excavation started about a week ago.

Really liked the steel guy we used. So far I've received the "oh man" reaction from everyone who as looked at my engineering plans. Apparently I chose the engineer who designs pools to withstand a meteor impact.

Not too satisfied with the plumber. His work is OK, but I ended up redoing his return plumbing. I couldn't get him back out to make the changes I wanted before gunite day. I ended up redoing his work myself... and it's hot outside these days.

Gunite day was today; 95 tons worth. And it was hot. I felt sorry for this crew... but you end up paying a lot of money for most of the guys to stand around all day while one guy does all the work. They all rush in to smooth things out, but I hope the person doing the spraying gets paid more than the others :).

It's looking a lot more like a battleship than I had planned, or perhaps Squidward's house. Hopefully flagstone coping and ledger-stone walls will add some appeal.

My masonry guy will be forming the rest of this week and I'll hopefully have a big shipment of stone and boulders come in on Monday to keep things moving along. The goal now is to finish the job before I run out of money. I shouldn't have let my wife talk me into this.

Thanks all...

Comments (10)