SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yolande_1951

Judy needs layout help badly

yolande_1951
16 years ago

Hi all, I need help!

Here are pictures of my current kitchen that I love. We are hoping to redo it to get rid of the wall that houses the angled pantry (picture 042jpg). We have a design from a KD, and I want to do a white kitchen again with oak floors, black granite, and I would even use the same tiles if I could find them (they are discontinued from "Country Floors" - any ideas?). My goal is to get rid of the wall and to have an island for more usable counter space. I also would like 2 ovens, if possible and a reasonable place for the mw. I am undecided as to gas or induction - have a 25 year old electric coil hotpoint stove right now that is still working fine. The kitchen would then be 14 ft x 14 ft.

Once we get rid of the wall, we will be minus the 2 pantries on it. Fortunately, on the north wall that you can see just beyond the angled pantry in 042jpg, there is a large closet that runs under the stairs and therefore goes from full height to about 2 feet high. In the KD's design he put 1 or 2 ovens in the high part of the closet along with the mw; to the left there is a type of pull-out pantry and then to the left of that, as the cupboard gets lower, there would be drawers or some other rollouts to fill the space.

I do not want my mw so far from the fridge or from a counter and I don't want the 2 ovens that far from the cooktop. In the design, the cooktop is on the south wall and a large clean-up sink is on the west wall. There will be a prep sink in the island, where I expect to do most of my prep: facing out into the family room and outside to our lovely garden.

We have toyed with exchanging the large sink/dw with the cooktop.

Some alternatives that we have thought of are:

1. Still on the south wall, use a range instead of a cook top to give us one oven, and then rearrange the closet/pantry on that north wall so that the high part would be a more efficient pantry, with rollout drawers or vertical pullouts. A second oven would then go into the lower part of the closet, wherever we could fit it. When we moved into the house 24 years ago there actually was an oven in this position.

2. Still on the south wall, use a cooktop, either gas or induction, and then put a wall oven into a lower cabinet either under or adjacent to it, and continue the closet/ pantry as in 1. above.

3 Where does the mw go? ? in the island?

Hope you can give me feedback and help with my layout. People on this forum have great ideas and wonderful experience.

Thanks,

Judy

wall that is coming out with angled pantry and wall containing closet/pantry 0042jpg North wall

south wall and door to diningroom

tile that I love.

south wall of kitchen

west wall

view into kitchen to the west; south wall on left, penninsula ahead"

KD's design

Comments (8)