SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misplacedtxgal

Need Help with Kitchen Layout in Cottage Remodel

misplacedtxgal
7 years ago

We recently purchased a vacation cottage that had been remodeled badly at least twice, but it has a view to die for so we took on the challenge. Due to the carpenter finding things almost daily that need to be addressed my decorating budget continues to decrease. Just today DH told me to try to keep the existing cabinets. Therefore, I could really use help with the overall layout if I am to get any new cabinets on my tightening budget.

The first two photos are the current kitchen from the MLS listing. Shoot me now if I have to keep this. I tried for weeks to try to make it a cute, eclectic kitchen worthy of Pinetrest post, experimented with gel stain, chalk paint etc. all the while wondering why they would put solid walnut doors on cheap cabinet boxes from the 1940s.

Finally the carpenter told me by the time he tried to salvage the cabs while tearing out the drop ceiling, then trying to retro fit things in order to move the fridge (I'm a lefty and it's current location just won't work) I could probably afford new cabinets. This brings us to the layout in the third photo. By removing the peninsula I can move the fridge. The drawn in island is the end of the peninsula we would salvage and update with bead board, paint, & butcher block top. I have just enough floor tile to fill in the gap. (We are trying to keep the existing tile).

After much thought it has since evolved into Layout 2 in the fourth picture. The only change from this is to put in a pantry cabinet and fridge surround. I gained 12 inches of counter/storage to the left of the fridge. This also allowed me to turn the island thereby making it larger. But the price has now almost doubled! And that just won't do on my tightening budget.

Should I just go back to Layout 1? Is there something I haven't considered?

The house is now very open concept. The bottom of the layouts would be the dinette and beyond that the family room. We must keep sink and range in their existing spots.

I don't think I will be cooking a lot here and I've got a great kitchen at our home. I just want it to look nice and be functional. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)