SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephmc72_gw

Aloha from Hawaii!

stephmc72
15 years ago

Hi everyone...just thought I'd check in and say hello. We're in Kauai right now; have been here since Wednesday. My parents are with us but they're leaving this Thursday, we'll be here until the following Wednesday, the 20th.

We're having a nice, relaxing time although I think I'm going to need a vacation when this is over. Vacationing with 2 kids, while I wouldn't have it any other way right now, is kinda tiring. Grant is having a great time, but he's very tired. He's still on California time I think and gets pretty exhausted, and the heat doesn't help (the condo doesn't have air - none of them do). But he thinks he loves the ocean, LOL. He thinks its hilarious when the waves crash on his legs but he wont let us take him in because it scares him. We did take him to another beach that has a protected area that has no crashing waves and he loved it. But he loves the pool the best. It has a sandy beach entrance and a water slide, which he LOVES.

Camryn is just taking it all in. She hasn't been sleeping very well but I figured that would happen. On our second night here, we had a bit of a scare. Well, a big scare. We took her to the Emergency Room. I can honestly say that this was the absolute scariest thing that I have ever experienced in my life. I am still haunted by it.

Camryn was sleeping downstairs in the bedroom (living area upstairs, bedrooms downstairs). We were eating dinner upstairs. I had the baby monitor on. Grant wanted his blanket from the bedroom where Camryn was sleeping so I went down to get it. When I was in the room, I peeked on her and she was sound asleep. I left the room and literally got about 3 steps away and heard her cough, then choke, then I heard a wierd gurgling noise, then silence. I thought I better take a peek at her again. When I went in, she had thrown up and it was all over her face, spewing out her mouth, her eyes were wide open and she was still. I picked her up so fast and leaned her forward and she wasn't doing anything. She was unresponsive and I could tell trying to breathe but couldn't. I screamed at the top of my lungs and everyone came rushing down. As they were coming, she let out a little cry, then Brent took her. She wasn't crying, she wasn't able to take a breathe, I was shaking and hysterical. Poor Grant freaked out and was crying so my mom took him back upstairs. Then I heard her let out huge crys. I was so relieved yet so worried. I am crying as I type this. We got her settled down and I got her cleaned up. She then just started crying really hard. Her breathing was short like she was having a hard time and her chest was raspy. My mom asked me if I wanted to take her to the hospital and I knew I was not going to sleep unless I knew she was okay. I was worried about fluid in her lungs and after talking a good friend who is a nurse, and also has an infant, I decided I needed to go. I was just very uneasy about the whole situation so off we went. Camryn fell asleep right before we left and slept through the entire exam. Poor baby was exhausted, but the doctor confirmed her lungs were clear and her oxygen level was near perfect. Whew.

He said she most likely did aspirate into her lungs but that she probably cleared it out herself but to keep an eye on her anyway. That night, I made her sleep in her carseat because I was worried about her sleeping flat. Even now, 4 days later, I'm completely paranoid about her sleeping on her back.

I honestly believe that had I not had gone into check on her when I did, something very tragic would have happened. And I mean very tragic. I have no idea why or how I was drawn to that room to get that blanket when I did but it was something way beyond me.

I'm having a hard time not obsessing over the "what-if's' but I need to just focus on the fact that she is fine. But it's hard. I have no idea how long it's going to take for me to be comfortable with her sleeping on her back. I'm scared to even leave her alone.

But aside from that, our trip is going great. We're enjoying our stay here. My mom has been the biggest help ever. Grant is going to be really upset when they leave. He has loved having them around.

Tomorrow Brent and my dad are going on a helicoptor ride. A helicoptor with no doors. We did this a few years ago, it's an awesome ride.

So that's my trip so far...hope you all are having a great week and Happy Belated Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Hope you had a lovely day.

Comments (24)

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh, my gosh, Steph, I'm crying and shaking right along with you! God was truly with you when you went to check on Camryn. And tell Grant that he helped to save his sister's life - - if he hadn't wanted his blanket right then, you wouldn't have been so close to her to be in the right place at the right time.

I'm so relieved to hear that Camryn is better now. I completely understand you wanting to have her sleep in her carseat.

The way you described the pool with the sandy beach entry, and the water slide, I could have sworn you were staying at our home-away-from-home - the Grand Hyatt, but then I realized you said "condo." Are you on the Princeville or Poipu side?

Just one other thing -- why didn't you post any photos?????

• stephmc72
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Lindsey...I agree, Grant definitely had a hand in this. Thank God he's so attached to his blankie! :-)

We're staying on Poipu at the Kiahuna Plantation. I love it here because the grounds are quiet and not overly crowded. There's a pool and beach access, which were important to me. And with 2 small kids, a condo is a must. We needed to be able to cook meals at home. My kids wont tolerate restaurants for every meal!

I didn't post photos because (I'm ashamed to say this), I haven't taken many. I will though! I promise!!

• Related Discussions

Kordes Aloha Hawaii

Q

Comments (4)
    I have Aloha. It was sent to me a couple of years ago by Chuck of chuck and billie on this Forum. In our zone 5, it is more of a tall hybrid tea. This is due to the amount of dieback it gets and the severe pruning required each spring. It's rated to zone 6 but mine survives with just oak leaves at its base. Mine's a grafted bush with the bud union buried 6 inches deep. It blooms like a hybrid tea with mostly one large bloom per stem. This year, with all the rain, early blooms were affected by the wet cool weather. They balled alot and had lots of brown edges. The foliage stays relatively clean and the canes are strong and upright like a pillar rose. In warmer zones with more cane survival it probably gets taller and more like a climber.
    ...See More

growing gourds

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Nan, Try this web site a great artist right on the Island www.islandgourds.com Sandy Here is a link that might be useful: gourds by Ardee
    ...See More

Chinese Long Beans (pole) support question

Q

Comments (1)
    The plants are still young, they should begin to put out runners soon (that might be the first runner starting in the back). If that is a pot or planter, I hope it is deep, since yardlong beans have a strong root system. You can expect tall vines, I grow mine on a 6-foot trellis, and they easily climb to the top & beyond.
    ...See More

Best heater fan?

Q

Comments (4)
    I get concerned about the safety of some heaters but most have several safety factors making them a bit safer than the older ones. Just my opinion...If I were to recommend one for one of my children, I would prefer they use one of the oil filled units. I'm sure you've seen them, they look like radiators on wheels. The elements are not open to the air where dust, clothing or bedding could accidentally get too close and ignite. They have a thermostatic control to keep them from overheating. I think this might fit the bill. A heater inside heats the oil and then the heater shuts off until the oil cools down. Think along the lines of a deep fryer...the oil stays hot for a long time after the heat is shut off. They aren't too expensive either.
    ...See More
  • marilyn_c
    15 years ago

God bless you, Steph. I can just imagine how awful that was.
    Actually, I know from first hand experience. My daughter had a fever seizure and I rushed her to the emergency room. They had her on her back and she vomitted and aspirated some into her lungs. She was in ICU, hooked up to a respirator and they wouldn't let me in with her all night. I knew how terrified she would be...she had never been away from me. They finally let me in but said they didn't know if she had suffered any permanent damage, because she wouldn't respond to them. Once she saw me, she was okay. She didn't have any damage, but, it damaged me for life. I have never been so sick and scared in my whole life.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    15 years ago

What a scary thing to happen. Hope you are able to enjoy the rest of the trip.

• JoanMN
    15 years ago

What a scary thing to happen. Even if it turned out ok, I can understand your fear. I'm glad I had my kids before they decided that sleeping on their stomach caused SIDS, cause at least we didn't have to worry about it when they threw up.
    I hope you can manage to enjoy the trip and get some sleep at night.
    JoanMN

• gemini40
    15 years ago

I am shaking just reading this post Stephanie. Thank the Lord things turned out fine, but scary doesn't describe it. I know when I had my 6 children everyone slept on their stomachs.Personally I don't like sleeping on the back thing for the very reason of what happened to you.My kids did the sleeping on the back with their kids until they could pick up their heads and turn them, then they slept on their tummy.

june

• maryanntx
    15 years ago

That is so scary Stephanie! I'm glad your Mom was there with you and that everything turned out like it did.
    I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.

• grammahony
    15 years ago

Stephanie, I had the same thing happen to my oldest daughter when she was a new born. I'd only been home from the hospital 1 day. If my sister hadn't happened to be walking by her at that moment, looking down at her (she was due the next month) things would have been a lot worse. I always had my babies sleeping on their stomach for that very reason. I know. Now they say to have them on their backs. I don't agree.
    I'm sure it's not just luck that you happened to be there at that moment.
    I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation.
    Leslie

• paula_pa
    15 years ago

Yikes! That was the scariest thing I can imagine. I'm so glad she's okay. Both my kids slept in a carseat for months with me sleeping right next to them (just because, nothing actually happened to make me do that) so I can understand your paranoia. I'm hope Grant is okay. The baby threw up in front of Nick once and Nick was so upset.

• lydia1959
    15 years ago

That's the kind of excitement you don't want on a vacation. Whew! I'm glad Camryn is okay. Hope the rest of your trip is a good one.

• country_bumpkin_al
    15 years ago

OMG Steph!!! That is so scarey!! I'm so glad Camryn is OK. I understand your fear and it's something you're probably going to have for a long time!

I hope the rest of your trip is filled with HAPPY events!!

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

Oh gosh Stephanie, My heart was in my throat reading about this!!! I don't know what to say to try and help calm your fears, just SO very glad you were there when it happened. Poor babe Camryn.
    ((((Camryn and family)))

• gadgets
    15 years ago

The tears welled up reading about your experience. I'm a good one for the 'what if's', so I know what you're talking about. When it comes to our kids, we're constantly on guard in one way or another.

Shirley

• sjerin
    15 years ago

That does sound extremely frightening, but I want to mention one thought that might help you feel better. You did have a baby monitor with you at the table, and I'm quite sure you would have investigated those strange noises. I'm another who had my kids on their tummies as the recommendations hadn't come out yet; they were all able to turn their heads fairly soon and I never left anything loose near their heads, so I didn't worry too much about suffocation. I know it's hard, but try not to think about the what-if's. Baby monitors are a wonderful thing! Enjoy the rest of your trip in beautiful Hawaii.

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

I'm with Leslie on this one...

I always had my babies sleep on their sides and propped them with a rolled blanket...then when they got a little older they slept on their tummys.

Doctors are always changing their minds about what is good for babies, so I'm not so sure they really know.

• clubm
    15 years ago

Glad she is ok. Try to relax and enjoy Hawaii. I was there in 2000. It's certainly a paradise.

• neesie
    15 years ago

What a scary experience! Glad your Mother's instinct made you go back and check on Camryn. Something like that happened when my daughter was about 6 years old and it still makes me cry when I think of it, even though she is a healthy 23 year old now! Try not to dwell on it, after all it couldn't have worked out better and you are in paradise. It would be a sin not to have a wonderful time with your beautiful family.

• jannie
    15 years ago

Steph, I'm so sorry about what happened to Camryn. My first daughter had a fever once and had a seizure , that was my biggest scare. I guess we earn our gray hairs that way. I had a great Mothers Day. Hope you did too. Now relax and enjoy the rest of your vacation. I understanmd Kauai is the prettiest island. Have you gone to any luaus?

• User
    15 years ago

I'm sorry this happened to you. I would've freaked out but thank heavens she's okay. I'm another mom who thinks the baby on the back is not a good thing. Mine were always put on their stomach for that very reason..so if they threw up it wouldn't aspirate into their lungs. I always made sure every thing was flat..no loose blankets or toys or even God forbid pillows. If they puked, it would roll out the side of their mouth.

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

Oh, wow, that's frightening to read, let alone experience, Steph. I'm so glad you were so close when it happened and that all ended well.

I hope you're able to relax and enjoy the rest of the stay and I hope you're able to get some rest and that those kids quit wearing you out so much! And I hope your camera gets busy, too! In your spare time, of course!

Hoooey. I have goosebumps and it's all your fault. (((((Steph)))))

• trinitytx
    15 years ago

Just reading about her scared me to pieces. I don't blame you for being afraid to let her out of your sight.
    I hope you are able to enjoy your family time and vacation, and be at peace that it was an episode that will not repeat itself.

Trin

• gwanny2three
    15 years ago

Oh you poor thing...that is so scary! I had no idea you were gone. haven't been around here much lately and wanted to check in tonight.

I am so happy to hear she is ok and your having a good time. I sent her a gift last week...I hope they didn't leave it on your doorstep. Maybe they will hold it until you get back. Hope the rest of your vacation is a good one with no upsets! Have fun...I'm going to look for pictures!

• stephmc72
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vikki, I put a hold on my mail so it will just be delivered when the rest of my mail is delivered when I get home. Unless you sent it something other than USPS, but my neighbor has been checking on my house so he would've seen a package.

And by the way, thank you for sending a gift...that was very nice of you!! :-)

• gwanny2three
    15 years ago

Your welcome...I sent it through the post office so it'll be fine then. My ups man said they are no longer requiring signatures and are supposed to leave packages on the porches if no one is home. He hates doing that....my Dh orders alot of watches and I'd hate to lose most of them to theives. Enjoy your vacation!