SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshing

New carpeting to sell a house

marvelousmarvin
10 years ago

I was reading through New York TImes' series about preparing your home for sale, Market Ready, when I found this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/garden/giving-the-staircase-its-due-market-ready.html

In the article, it says:

[QUOTE]
Ms. Scalo often uses Grand Tournai carpeting by Merida. "It's really fresh looking, wears well and has an organic feeling to it," she said, that resembles sea grass, but it is actually made from 60 percent wool and 40 percent sisal. It also comes in neutral hues (Ms. Scalo's favorite is Honey) that appeal to a wide range of tastes perfect when your intention is to sell.

"Its not million-dollar carpet, but its also not cheap," she said. (The retail price is $17.90 a square foot; information: 800-345-2200 or meridameridian.com.)

Then again, carpet is not a good thing to skimp on. As Ms. Scalo put it, "Cheap tends to look cheap," a signal you would not want to send to potential buyers. [/QUOTE]

I can understand the importance of getting new carpeting when its too soiled to clean, but to pay $17.90 a square foot for carpeting?

Did anybody ever that and put in expensive carpet for a house you were going to sell? Or, did you just put in new, but cheap carpet as long as the cheap carpet wasn't hideous or something.

How would somebody really know if the carpet is cheap or as expensive as Scalo's recommended carpet?

This post was edited by marvelousmarvin on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 2:56

Comments (12)