SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hosanna_le

selling house: buyers lender requires new easement to close

Zanna Schoeppner
5 years ago
I am in the process of selling a home for sale by owner. We have already gone though much of the process but today I got an email saying that the buyers lender will not close the loan unless there is an easement on the property due to the land surveyor using the verbiage "common" driveway. We do not in fact share a driveway but instead our driveway (which is on our property) is adjacent to our neighbors driveway (on their property). Our side of the property has more driveway than the neighbors but no one is using anyone else's land and if either property were to decide to move or remove its driveway it would in no way impede on the others right of way or access.

To my knowledge, there has never been an easement on either property and neither I nor the neighbor is currently complaining that one is necessary.

Sellers agent says whatever the lender says goes. Is this true? And is there any negative impact on me as the seller if I agree to get an easement for the sake of closing the sale? (FYI this is an FHA lender).

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths