SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellienoelle

Foundation issues on an inspection report on older home.

kellienoelle
11 years ago

I am going to cross post this here from The Old Homes forum since I have been posting here and perhaps somebody has some background with this type of situation. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello all, I am continuing my quest on moving from my 1990s suburban home to a house with a bit more age and charm. As older homes are new to me, I am not sure what is a substantial, and want is just part of owning an older house. In the 1937 house that we are considering, we noticed some steel braces in the basement, as well as some bowing to the block foundation which the braces were obviously installed to address. I was able to obtain an inspection report. Here is the most worrisome point regarding the foundation...
"subtantial bowing and crack was observed on mainly the north wall, but also on the west and east walls. This is usually the result of excessive soil or frost pressure on the foundation. Part of the north wall has been reinforced with steel beams. It is standard practice for cracks to be sealed during foundation repairs. Unsealed cracks were observed in several locations. Additionally drywall cracking and sticking doors were observed suggesting movement has occured since the foundation repairs. Since repairs may be needed to protect the building from more serious damage, a structural engineer who is familiar with foundation repair or a company specializing in foundation repairs should be consulted to evaluate the condition and suggest corrective measures. Lot drainage and foundation should be addressed to keep water away from building."

So, a walk away immediately situation, or is this not uncommon and worthy of proceeding with an evaluation by a structural engineer and having the sellers correct to his specifications. The yard needs work so we know we'll have to do some grading of the yard to ensure water flows away from the foundation to prevent further damage.

My husband is in the run away camp, while I am still interested in at least seeing what somebody who knows a whole lot more than me do says about it. Honestly we have some cracks and sticking doors in our current "newer" house so I think its isn't out of the ordinary.

Any advice?

Comments (12)