SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
green_eyed_longhorn

New Pool Build in Austin

Is this a good deal? We have a small backyard and are trying to squeeze in a pool. The design isn't final but we are very close. (for salt pool lovers--they don't do this in Austin anymore. Out climate here causes major corrosion....so they tell me)

NOTE: Pools in Austin are much more $$$ because I am on a hill of granite, rock, limestone, etc. But my backyard only has a 5" slope, whereas our front goes straight down. But when you dig, a couple inches down you hit rock.

86' perimeter

428 sqft area

14-15,000 gallons

3' shallow, 6' deep end

25' pool steps & benches (7' of it a baja shelf)

40 sqft, 18" raised spa w/ 5 jets, 1 air-blower 1.5 horsepower

Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP

Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP

Pentair Quad DE 60

Pentair MasterTemp 400k

Legend Platinum

2 skimmers

2 returns

4 main drains

1 pool light 400W

1 spa light 100w

1 gas hook up

Pebblesheen Ocean Blue

Oklahoma/Arizona coping & chopped for raised areas

1 2' water sheet

1 4' water sheet

EasyTouch PS8 remote (includes 2 actuators)

1 Rainbow 320 Chlorinator

1 Paramount Ozone O3

$45,619 ("List price" was 53k)

Comments (18)

• courtlynn12
    14 years ago

Very nice.... I really like the shape. Have you considered a bigger deck. The only reason I ask is because I have been told by just about everyone that this is the number one regret, not enough space to entertain. You have a beautiful yard and may be trying to save some room of yard but it seems that you could add more decking on out to the end of the house and get the best of both worlds. just my 2cents..take it or leave it... I know you are excited, we are just getting ready to start our build too...sounds like a great deal to me...is the landscaping included or will you do that on your own? what do you mean in the difference of price and list price... did you talk them down on the price?? CONGRATS!!

• margestephen
    14 years ago

I still think you could get it a few thousand cheaper. Your pool is similar in style to what we are looking at but a little bit smaller. We are at 550 sq ft with 100' perimeter. Have you gotten any other quotes?
    I like the design of your pool - very pretty.

I agree with the other post - add deck that goes to the end of the house. It'll look better and you'll then have room for a dining area on one side and a sitting area on the other side.

Is that a tree in the middle of the patio? There should be an area around the tree without concrete - it's no healthy for the tree - no room for growth or irrigation.

• Related Discussions

New Pool Build North Texas-Formal Pool Design

Q

Comments (1)
    Pool Build Photos Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Build Pictures
    ...See More

New build Natural Style Pool NJ with East Coast Pool Concpets

Q

Comments (32)
    jhmjr, Sorry for the delayed response. I actually made a completely different thread for the final product. Here are the pics and a youtube video for you: We opened up the Pool June 24th, and thouroughly enjoyed the pool the entire summer. East Coast Pool Concepts out of Manalapan NJ did an incredible job from start to finish. I would HIGHLY recommend them for anyone considering a pool in NJ/NY/PA area. I cannot say enough about the quality job these guys did, the attention to detail, and the follow up. Even after the job was done, and I finished my payments, they were still checking up with me and stopping by to make sure all was going well. They build a great pool, they are great to work with and they stand by their work. Here is a youtube video of our pool: Natural Style Pool CNJ by East Coast Pool Concepts Here are the completed pics of our pool: Here is the before pic:
    ...See More

New Pool Build North Texas-Formal Pool Design

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you, we have belabored every single detail as, I am sure, everyone does. No, we still have the deck to be laid, sprinkler re-route, cleanup and then plaster last. I am right outside of Dallas, so we are still having spring showers and it might be a bit. Plus, the travertine we ordered for the deck is honed and the decking place only carries tumbled, so I am not sure how we figure that out.
    ...See More

New Pool Build - Any Advice on Quantity of Pool Lighting?

Q

Comments (13)
    This is very helpful feedback. It sounds like I need to consider putting two lights on the house side, one near the deep end and one in the shallow end both pointing toward the raised beam. But I could get away with just one down the center with no major shadows. racket: the pool will have Stonescapes Tahoe Blue. I'm not sure I understand what you meant by "If its dark/pebble one length" Could you please clarify? About the drains....The engineering drawing (which I don't have a copy of right now, it may be out hanging on the fence) and my contract indicate only 2. The sketch always showed 4 though...not sure why. njfolks: At the rate we're making changes, it may be next summer before digging... Please let us know how your lighting works out. Anyone have an opinion about having only one skimmer with a vacuum side cleaner?
    ...See More
  • green_eyed_longhorn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I love the design. I am trying to get a variance with our HOA to bring the pool closer to the fence line and house to make the pool bigger. I will add more decking for sure. That was actually one of the things I told him to do yesterday! Basically the deck will go all along the back and out toward that center flower bed. Adding that will still give our dogs plenty of room and one day a play scape when our babies are older.

courtlynn--the list price was in our quote and then he deducted a bunch of promotional discounts. My husband is leery of this sales tactic because it makes it look like we are getting a huge discount, when we actually may not. Unfortunately the landscaping around the pool is not included. The beds in the yard are existing.

mommyofthree--That tree is a live oak that we didn't want to cut down while building (adds shade and privacy) so as of now our concrete decking is built around it and there is dirt. They will just spray the Sundeck over the existing concrete so it will have a good amount of dirt around it. This is my second quote and I am by far getting more bang for my buck. Our first quote was 49k, kidney shape and not nearly as pretty or had any water features, other than the spillway over the raised spa. This design is more our style and flows with the modern interior of our house. I think I'll do formal cut coping (square cut) rather than flagstone to give it more of a modern kick. I am also going to call Bayside Pools today. I had not heard of them so thank you! :)

• airborne101
    14 years ago

Pretty design, but have to echo mommy's concern about the tree. Actually both of them. DH is hardscape contractor so we look at trees a bit different, they cost major bucks when the roots unearth decks. Not familiar with TX soils, but you may want to consult an arborist. I would definitely rethink the one between house and pool, maybe you can relocate it to another area. Hope this helps, Barb

• green_eyed_longhorn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Barb! This drawing is incorrect in regards to the tree and deck. We have not finalized the deck plans, this is simply the pool design. Currently, there is a huge perimeter of soil built around the tree and we have a bubbler from our irrigation system at the base. They will just spray the Sundeck over the existing concrete deck. These trees have been here about 20 years so we won't be moving them. Austin soil is basically nonexistent since we are on granite and limestone so these native tree roots are very much used to making their way around things. So far, so good about the decking surrounding it. I won't cut them down so I can only hope for the best. Thanks for the tips!

Glad you like the pool design. Any other design tips are greatly appreciated!

• mashmasher
    14 years ago

We just built in Austin and we have a salt water pool. We love it. I think it is more about it being more expensive since they can't use limestone for coping, they need to use oklahoma flagstone. And it costs more for the pool builder.

Which company are you looking at?

• Txjay J
    14 years ago

We are in Austin (Round Rock) and have our first estimate for a pool, It is similar is perimeter & volume to your pool, but no spa. Although our is more of a "free form" style; your design is very nice. The estimate was for 50K and want to get 2 more estimates. We also would be interested in knowing the name of your pool builder.
    Many thanks for any info you can provide.

• mashmasher
    14 years ago

We went with Cody pools and were happy. We almost went with Broadway pools.

• green_eyed_longhorn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip about salt pools in Austin. Our neighbor had to convert their salt pool into a chlorine one after 2 years because the corrosion was so bad. I never asked PB about it because I assumed they didn't do it since the brochures I got from the companies talk about some new high tech "ozone" something or another. Good to know I have choices--I will do some homework! Oklahoma flagstone is what I will be using anyway.....

This design is Cody and I am 85% sure we will use them. Bayside Pools is coming out tomorrow (this will be the 3rd and last quote I get so if they don't wow me, Cody is the big winner). At this point, it's who will give me the most features for less, as they are all pretty reputable PBs. Anthony & Sylvan was the first PB to come out and quoted me 50k for a basic kidney shape and although it did have a spa and "grotto", it seemed pretty boring for 50k. I wasn't impressed with the high pressure sales tactics either. But 50k is what we expected to spend in Austin so you can imagine the pleasant surprise with this design and quote. Anthony & Sylvan's design wasn't nearly as pretty and this design that Cody came up with is just my style. I really love it. There are a few design things I will tweak, but overall Cody has been great. We had a slight misunderstanding in the beginning that they felt really bad about, so they tell me I am getting many upgrades for my inconvenience. If you compare my two quotes, this seems to be true.

For my fellow Austinites looking for a PB, I will post tomorrow after my meeting with Bayside Pools and let you know how it goes. Hope everyone had a great 4th. Been on the lake all day and am beat--would love to jump in a pool at my own house! ;)

• cmoses
    14 years ago

I would recommend Cody for your pool. We are having our second pool built by them. They just laid it out yesterday and should begin digging Wednesday or Thursday. Our pool cost is lower than yours, but we are not putting in a spa, so 1 less pump, no heater, etc.

Pool is a free form design, 89' perimeter, larger sq ft, Oklahoma Peach flagstone and raised beam with 2' sheer over one of the benches, water shelf, Stonescape Mini Tahoe Blue finish. We are going with a ozone system. We had salt in our other Austin pool and did see some of the corrosion that you talk about. We are also having them install about 500 sq feet of decking that will be covered in Sundek.

We are working with the Bee Cave office and have been very pleased with them.

• margestephen
    14 years ago

green eyed longhorn - Have you gotten a quote from Bayside? How did it compare to Cody? I still haven't had Cody out for a quote yet so I'm curious on how these two companies compare.
    Thanks!

• green_eyed_longhorn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, he came out on Monday and I haven't heard from him. Still waiting on the design....by the looks of his portfolio pics I am not sure they can do the type of look I am going for, but I told him exactly what I want so we'll see. I did not show him this design from Cody because I want to see what he comes up with. He was a very nice guy named Jason.

Our HOA is giving us push back on some things so I will need to file a variance which means it's looking like we might have to wait to build this winter. :( If we can't start digging by August, just seems silly to go through with it this summer.

I recommend getting a quote from Cody. I will post as soon as I hear from Bayside! Gonna email him right now. :-)

• green_eyed_longhorn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mommyofthree-- I got the design and it's pretty cool. Still waiting on the price and specs....I'll keep you posted. You meet with Cody yet?

• margestephen
    14 years ago

green eyed longhorn - Can you post the Bayside design? How is it different from Cody? We are leaving town tomorrow morning and we won't be back for 10 days. I'm having Cody come out after we get back.

• green_eyed_longhorn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mommyofthree--Well, Bayside never got back to me. I guess they don't want my business. I replied immediately after he sent the design, asking him the price and specs (I am surprised he didn't give me a price without me having to ask, since he knew he was competing with 2 previous quotes). This was 2 weeks ago and I never got a response. So, we will be going with Cody. Not building until January but I will post the finalized design and specs when I have them. Should have them soon, as I need to get the ball rolling with the HOA. Let me know who you end up using!

• womanowned
    14 years ago

Ozone is an excellent alternative to salt. I use the UltraPure brand in Houston, but have read good things about the Paramount product. Ozone gives you the same water quality features as salt without the corrosive nature of salt. In the south, use the type of Ozone generator that works off of UV light to create ozone. Having said all this, I do still build salt pools all the time. The caveat is that I will only do it if I seal all the stonework with a premium, long lasting sealant (Adecco Sealants) and issue warnings to my customers about the potential problems of salt. Ozone is also less expensive. It is not a stand alone system. It has to be combined with an old fashioned chlorinator, but you don't need the amount of chlorine you would without the Ozone. Limestone will corrode quickly.

• margestephen
    14 years ago

green eyed longhorn - Sorry to hear Bayside did not get back with you. I have heard great things about Cody - congrats! We have a change of plans. We went to visit my husband's 91 year old grandmother and found out she isn't doing really well and can't really take care of herself anymore so we brought her back to Texas permanently so we could take care of her. So our pool plans are on hold now. I think it's a great idea to build in Jan. That's what we were aiming for. Good luck!

• green_eyed_longhorn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I realize this is overdue, but I just want to clear up that the mix up with Jason from Bayside pools was due to the fact that his emails to me were going to my spam folder. He did follow up promptly and I highly recommend Bayside to anyone looking to build a pool in the Austin area.