SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcdaisymom

Do I really want a pool? Help -- pros/cons

mcdaisymom
16 years ago

Okay -I have been on a pool kick for a while now. My DH is fine with it (actually he doesn't really care). Is it worth the money -- and how much would that be? I would want a weeping wall or waterfall but no spa. We live in Texas so we can use a pool for a good portion of the year and we have a 1 1/2acre lot so we have the room. We are not planning on moving anytime soon and have an almost 5 year old. Are you glad you did it? What would you do differently? Help me decide, please! =)

Comments (43)

• skinnydipper
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cost can be anywhere from 30k-75k for the average gunite pool, depending on what you get. There are many many many options.
    Consider the following basic features, then you can get a better idea of a price range...

*Size of pool- average small pool is 15x30
    *depth of pool-many companies charge more for pool deeper than 7'
    *Gunite, fiberglass, etc?
    *plaster, 3M, pebble?
    *Color of plaster, 3m or pebble (some colors cost more)
    *heater?
    *# of sq ft of deck
    *baja step?
    *Coping- many options with big price differences
    *natural rock or artificial rock waterfall?
    *diving board or slide (slide can be art rock w/ waterfall)
    *white light(s) or colorlogic or ?
    *in floor cleaning system?
    *salt system or chlorine
    *will your area require a rock dig?
    *will you want an outdoor kitchen, firepit, patio, pool house, etc
    *fencing requirements
    *landscaping

There are soooo many other variables, but if you give an idea of those points we may be able to give you a better idea of the price based on our experiences.

As for my opinion, get the pool sooner rather than later to get the most use out of it while your child is young. My son was 5 when we started ours and he uses it at least 5x per week spring-fall.

• Related Discussions

Pool Pros...I need help!!

Q

Comments (4)
    Your description sounds like "scaling" caused by high pH or TA. While I have only been doing this 22 years I have never seen excessive calcium do this. Lack of calcium in the pool balance chemicals can cause etching but usually without color. Acid from a chlorine tablet and an isolated high chlorine level can cause etching and staining. This is normally caused by an "unsecured" floater. Floaters are designed to be anchored. High chlorine brings iron from solution in your pool's water. If you want an easy test, take a vitamin C tablet and grind it on the stain and a bit of the rough area. If the stain leaves and the spot smooths out, use a bit of wet-dry sand paper and an Oxalic Acid like Stain Treat (spotting bag works too) or Super Sequa-Sol. Put the Oxalic Acid in a white gym sock and leave it 12-24 hours on the stain. If your troubles are in a larger part of the pool then try a NoDran acid wash with lots of brushing. Ken Here is a link that might be useful: Stain Treat
    ...See More

Pros & cons - raised counter @ island. How do u deal w/messes?

Q

Comments (5)
    caffeinequeen: Your trap door idea is great! :) It's just me & hubby & hubby is not the 'problem'...so...guess where the blame lies? I do like to be organized, it's just sometimes I'm in a hurry & things get set down on the table. My 12" space includes the wall area - I was thinking of something like this (without the beverage thing) I will also use my office - this will be just 'transitional' stuff waiting for me to put away. Plus, a phone & message place. I got the above from http://simplystated.realsimple.com/home/2008/09/where-busy-moms.html "The Kitchen Command Center" shows a kitchen organization makeover. Here's a great entry/control center (I'll link it below as well so you can see the entire site) yakkinyetti: I was thinking the same thing...a catchall & too high to sit comfortably. Thank you both for your input! Here is a link that might be useful: I'm an Organizing Junkie
    ...See More

Down to 3 floor plans. Can you give me pros/cons to help me decide?

Q

Comments (7)
    The more bumps, roof lines etc the more expensive. The cheapest to build is a box, so the closer to a box your footprint is the cheapest, therefore I would say the farmhouse would be more to build. I noticed the laundry was upstairs in the farmhouse also, will this be a home you live in when you are older? If so you may want main floor laundry. I do like that the dining room is part of the kitchen, never had any use for a seperate formal dining room myself. In #56 the master bath seems odd for some reason, and a long way to walk to get a quick change of clothes, I would probably put a sliding door to one of the closets from the bedroom. Laundry does seem ackward here because its not a straight shot or even semi straight from your bedroom to it, where all your clothes and towels will originate. I love the front porch and overall look of the house though. The William one has some good things, the sun/kitchen nook is large enough to be a dining area on its own, allowing you to re-purpose the official dining area and use it as a library/den, etc. You could even make the kitchen larger: taking away space from that dining room, and use the smaller new room as a office/workout room etc If you added 4 extra feet to the bottom of the kitchen, the remaining "dining" room would still be more than large enough for office/workout space. That is still larger than bedrooms I have seen in smaller houses! It has lots of storage and a great porch. And everything you need as you get older is all located on the main floor. You don't mention kids so I haven't really taken them into consideration much, but he farmhouse does have a nice activity/playroom on the 2nd floor, and the William one has the bedrooms spaced a little apart which could potentially avoid some sibliling conflicts, plus that huge future room as they get older and want friends over or a media room. For me I would narrow it further to the farmouse or William. And probably lean more toward the william one because its squareish, seems to have more useable space, and potential with just a few changes.
    ...See More

Which do you prefer? Saltwater or Chlorine Pool. Pros & Cons

Q

Comments (11)
    We just installed our third Hayward salt cell in June. Each of the previous cells lasted about five years before finally dying. My second cell died this past winter and I spent the spring battling green algae while waiting on a sale or rebate offer. It was a freaking nightmare of constant monitoring and testing. Right after installation I added several bags of salt to reach an appropriate level for cl production and haven't had to do a thing since except vacuum the pool. It is worth every penny to have a salt cell installed. Also, our pool is a 35K gallon vinyl liner and using a salt cell instead of liquid chlorine has kept the color of the vinyl from fading like it used to do using jugged chlorine. If you do go with the Hayward brand make sure to buy it at an authorized dealer as I read a lot of complaints on Amazon about them not honoring the warranty for ones sold through Amazon. My second cell came from Amazon but we luckily never had any problems with it. Hayward has been offering an $80 rebate on cells sold.
    ...See More
  • geebeekc
    16 years ago

Daisy, I've been asking myself the same question. We are empty nesters, but kids live near by. This website has been a great source of information. But we visited an aquaintance on Sunday that has had a pool for 25 years. They were willing to just sit and talk to us about it. I am now more convinced than ever that I want to do it. I wish I had done it when my kids were little. But this couple said the same thing someone else did above: it changed their lives. Almost every evening, after the dinner mess is cleaned up, they get in the pool and just float around and talk. He said they do more talking and communicating all summer long while floating than they ever do in the winter. That reason alone would be good enough for me! Plus, they are both very physically fit, and the only thing they do for exercise is swim. We have now talked to one PB, scheduled a second one that did not show up (twice!) and have a third one coming this evening. The cost is a concern. I made the mistake one day of figuring out if I use the pool for 10 years, how much it will cost per hour! Don't do that!!! (3-4 months a year, 1 or 2 hours average per day x 10 years) I sure didn't tell my DH about those numbers! Go for it. Once you get it in your head you want one, you probably won't be able to be reasonable any way!
    Gloria-KC

• snookums
    16 years ago

Seize your someday!

YES it is definitely worth it. I wish we had done it sooner. Before you know it in the blink of an eye, your 5 year old will be grown and out of the house. There is nothing better to bring a family together in your home than a pool.

In 2005 I had two cancer scares - resulting in two surgeries - luckily they were only scares. But it made me realize that LIFE IS SHORT and we started interviewing pool builders right away. The kids aren't going to get any younger and neither are we. If you ever thought that "someday" you'd like to have a pool, trust me, there is no time like the present. You never know what turns life will give you later on.

About the spa - if you are forgoing it in order to save money - don't - you won't save much if at all. Plus - the spa gets used more than anything. It's also a great escape for my dh and I after the kids are in bed.

• tommy281
    16 years ago

remember you only live once!

• bubbapool
    16 years ago

Absolutely, positively, worth it.

I didn't really want to do it - but it's been the best thing I've bought.

• tagprod
    16 years ago

I had this same conversation with my sister a couple of weeks ago - she wants a pool. The only thing that kept me waiting 5 years to put in a pool were the financial considerations. I'm assuming you're OK with the cost and the additional electric bills. After that the next thing to consider is the time and expense of maintenance. I'm like johnmgreen - I love taking care of the pool and all the maintenance that goes along with it. When I step outside my back door and see a pool so clean you'd be proud to give birth in it - it all seems worth it. I just enjoy being outside doing things.
    If you're OK with that too, I say go for it. My kids will start swimming at 11 or 12 noon and won't stop until 5 or 6 pm. I won't let them swim without me or my wife outside so we spend all this time together. It has been helpful in that regard. My son and daughter are both well above average swimmers and I know it's because of all the practice at home. My 5 year old can swim to the bottom of the 6 ft pool and retrieve things. Lastly, there are safety issues to consider.

I never try to talk anyone into getting a pool because of all the responsibility that goes along with it. I enjoy mine immensely and I couln't be happier with my decision to have it built.

• mcdaisymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are convincing me. =) I need to get out a measuring tape so I can visualize how big a 15/30 pool would be in our yard -- for a point of reference. I pretty much know where I want it -- we have a guest house where my parents live for part of the year and it would go behind it. It has easy access to a bathroom and washer/dryer, fridge. There is a covered patio between the GH and main house that we can use and could put an outdoor kitchen there if we want. Of course DH points out that then we will have three kitchens we don't use. Every time I sit on that patio I think how nice it would be to look out at a pool.

Snookums -- I am from up north and loved spas there but here in TX its so hot the pool feels like a spa half the time! The real reason though is that we are in a semi-rural area and would have to put in a propane tank for the spa and don't want to mess with that.

Gloria -- I won't do the numbers on cost per use. I stopped when a realtor friend said expect to get about half of what you spend at resale. But as I said we aren't going anywhere anytime soon. At least where we are we can use a pool from at least late April through October without a heater.

I guess I'm going to have to learn all the pool terms so I can figure out what I want.

THANKS!!!

• K Jensen
    16 years ago

mcdaisymom: sounds like you are convinced... but just in case you are not totally convinced I'll add my .02

We bought our current home seven years ago. The biggest selling point was the size of the lot compared to most homes we looked it. We knew there would be plenty of room to build a pool since we had not seen any homes with pools that we liked. We finally began our build this March and just finished. This past weekend my DH, two kids (aged 6 and 3) and I were floating around the pool having a blast and really enjoying some quality family time together. My DH, who absolutely hates parting with money (deep pockets/short arms) says to me "why didn't we do this 7 years ago? This is the best money I have EVER spent!" And we spent A LOT of cash!! Then the other night as we drank Ammaretto on the rocks relaxing in the spa and staring at the stars... my Dh says "Why didn't we do this 7 years ago?"

I say if you've got the money it's an absolute must!

As the MasterCard commercial goes:

Fun floatie toys: $100.00
    New swimsuits: $150.00
    Pool: $###,###
    Massively rewarding quality family time: PRICELESS!!

• kristenfl
    16 years ago

mcdaisymom,

I am originally from a small town in New Jersey where we had one inground pool in the entire neighborhood. It was owned by an older couple. With 60 kids in the neighborhood, we would all stare and dream about that pool. I had a blow up one that held a lot of water and made excellent whirlpool. It was fun but we still dreamed of the real thing.

When I graduated from HS, my parents built a house in Southwest Florida with a small pool. I lived around it throughout college. After I got married and had kids, we were lucky enough to be close by and visited all the time. My husband never wanted a pool because of the work it involved. Our parents are the working type, house always dusted, landscaping perfect, etc. We're not. We love to play. I still wanted one though. I craved a place to just jump into after the kids had a soccer game or we got home from work and school.

Well, two years ago, I won. I promised to take care of it. We created enough equity in our home to do it. We were on the fence about a spa, but my husband always spent more time in hotel spas (yuck) then he did in the pool. I knew it would be our way to get him out of the recliner and into the swim of things. I was right.

We love it. It's so nice for us to go for a swim as a family. I wish that I had done it sooner for our kids. they were 11 and 15 when we built it. They had my parents pool, but it's not the same as having your own in your backyard. My husband and I love the spa. Even though we live in a hot area, we use it year round. We can't keep the pool warm enough all winter, but if we want to jump in the spa, we can.

Just yesterday, I worked in the yard, and then jumped in the pool. It was a perfect. I swam and exercised, and then finished with a jump in the spa. I turned on the jets, bubbles and the heat pump (electric) and loved the feel of the warm water on my back.

Our pool is definitely worth it! Good luck with your decision.
    Kristen

• skinnydipper
    16 years ago

One more thing, just because you live in a warm climate (I'm in so cal) doesn't mean you have no use for a spa. During the summer months, I heat mine only to 90 (if the water isn't that warm already, ugh!) as opposed to 95 the rest of the year. No matter how warm it is outside, the jets feel great.
    Oh, and one more selling point on the spa that I almost forgot, Uno is a great game in all climates, right kids?!!

• cncguy
    16 years ago

we have 2 children ages 8+11 and back in march put a deposit on an above ground pool to be installed in may.after visiting a relative who has an above ground pool,we decided that we would rather have an inground so cancelled the above ground and we are waiting paitently for the L shape inground to be installed.i say go for it.

• skinnydipper
    16 years ago

as for the price of it all...

{{gwi:2044610}}

• Boby Huffard
    16 years ago

As others who have responded, we are happy we put in our pool, but keep in mind you are on a pool forum and probably will be hard pressed to find someone here who would advise against a pool. Maybe you should post the same question on another forum. A forum about renovating, financial decisons, leisure/vacationing, or something like that. Just a thought from one of us biased pool owners!
    Boby

• looony2nz
    16 years ago

We've lived in our home for 12 years. When we first moved in, there was only my daughter and she was barely 4. We didn't have the pool, and the community didn't have one we could have access to either. It was no big deal for a while, even after my son was born, it wasn't such a big deal, but shortly there after we started longing for a pool.......I would put the kids baby pool in our empty backyard, lay in it with my legs hanging over the end and close my eyes and imagine I was in a REAL pool. Financially it wasn't a consideration, but we definitely wanted one.........fast forward 9 years.......we finally made it happen. The pool was done just a little over a year ago....14x28 (small area to work with, but perfect for us) and we just had our 2nd July 4th party. This time around, there were probably 15 people in the pool give or take the few jumping in and out.......it was FUN, and we were actually doing this in OUR backyard. We'll never regret it. We're here in S. Florida and my husband mows the lawn in the hottest of hot but can now look forward to jumping in the pool when he's done. Makes it all worth it.
    GOOD LUCK !!!

• snookums
    16 years ago

Skinnydipper, we were not going to tell her about Underwater Uno...yet! lol

The comic is hilarious - where'd you find that?

• sandradee
    16 years ago

OK...here's a split opinion. As for me, I absolutely love having a pool. But then again, I've been a water baby all my life...spending summer afternoons at the local pool when growing up, swim team, lifeguard, camp counselor on a lake, etc., etc. I'm also in TX and in a small city where there are pools in many, many backyards.

DH has never been "into" water the way I have and he'd rather have a big expanse of green grass in the backyard and a vegetable garden. Sure, he'll go into the pool after working hard on a project, but he'd truly be happier without the pool - sigh.

Anyway, if I were ever going to have a pool in my lifetime, this would be the area to have it, so that's what we did.

Like johnmgreen and tagprod, I also enjoy the maintenance of it. Sparkling water at all times!

If cost had been no object, I'd have put in a spa. After using the pool daily, it's hard to do without it when the weather gets colder. Which also brings to mind that if cost were no object, we really should have put in a heater/heat pump....

Good luck with your decision!

• jmporter
    16 years ago

mcdaisymom,

I can only echo what everyone else has said. Go for it! You will not regret it. We use the pool every day.

My wife has wanted a pool for as long as I can remember. I was always the one, who said no, I don't want to take care of it. But after having the pool, I told her that I cannot imagine ever having a house without a pool in the future.

It really has changed the way we use the backyard. It has made our backyard a little sanctuary. It makes doing outside chores a joy. Work a little, get hot, jump in the pool, cool off, jump out, continue working.

If you get a pool, be prepared have your idea of "proper attire" changed. You will find that a bathing suit becomes the most used item of clothing during the pool season.

Like johnmgreen, I actually find taking care of the pool to be very relaxing. It is a real kick to have a pool service man come to your pool and tell you how great it looks. It really only requires about 5-10 minutes a day (if that) to take care of. But it is like a 2-year old. When it needs attention, it needs attention.

Hope this helps in your decision making process.

• snookums
    16 years ago

We originially were going to hire a pool service, but didn't, because my dh enjoys taking care of the pool so much. We don't even maintain it daily, more like weekly, when he adds acid and tests the water. That's it. If you get a salt water system and an automatic pool vac, there isn't much to do besides that.

• tommyw
    16 years ago

After 20+ years as a pool owner, I can tell you that a pool is a hole in the ground in which you throw away money. The initial cost is significant, the annual cost of upkeep is expensive and eventually you will have to replace the old equipment, resurface the pool and "modernize" the "look". All in all I'd join a local public pool/tennis club if available.

• skinnydipper
    16 years ago

Everything costs money and very few things gain value, in fact most lose value.
    Lets look at something we all know well...cars. Most vehicles cost as much as a small pool. You aren't going to get as many years from a vehicle as you will your pool- yet people spend ridiculous amounts of money on them, knowing they will be worth almost nothing in 10 years. A vehicle does not make for a great place for family fun and bonding time, unless it's an RV- but that's another money pit we won't go into.
    Basically, you need to figure out what value you would put on the family time and enjoyment of a pool for you and your family and decide if it's worth it to you.
    I am happy knowing that the memories that my children will have from their childhood will include summers filled with swimming, bbq's, and being playful with their parents in a world where we're all a little too serious sometimes.

• happymrsf
    16 years ago

We are in the process of building our pool. We have 3 community pools in our track of 329 homes - one of the pools is no more than 1/4 mile from our home.

My kids are very excited about their pool, as are DH and I.

Will the novelty and excitement wear off? Maybe. Will it be a money pit? Possibly. Do I envision good times with family and friends? Absolutely!

Why did we make the decision to spend a boatload of money when we have a "free" pool close by? Because last summer my kids came home from swimming and said that some kid dropped his drawers and p**d in the pool! That is all the reason I needed..

• houseful
    16 years ago

LOL, Happymrsf!

I spent 11 years driving to one or the other grandparent's house to swim. When it's 105 degrees that's not much fun. I wouldn't even consider driving to a public pool or club -- not everyday anyway. We definitely wouldn't get our money's worth from a club.

I'm one that also enjoys taking care of the pool for the same reasons mentioned above.

• madelineg
    16 years ago

Mcdaisymom,
    We went back and forth ourselves. We used to have a motorhome for around the same amount of money. We could only use it on weekends and trying to get the whole family with grandkids with days off at the same is a nightmare. Now for the same money we get pleasure from the pool everyday. We decided to make it an extended living area that we can enjoy all year. so...
    1. We put in a picture window so you can see the pool and landscaping from the family room while you play on the pool table.
    2. We put a TV on the patio and watch it at night in the cool breeze.
    3. We landscaped to look like a retreat to relax in with water spills.
    4. We put in a franklin fireplace to enjoy by the spa while we watch TV from it on cold winter nights.
    5. We made sure to have plenty of nooks to visit in for family.

It has been well worth the money and we live out there most of the time. Plus the grandkids are here (captive teenagers!)

• scl4
    16 years ago

We've had a pool for 14 years and it is still used alot. My sons were 1 and 4 when we moved in and it was, and still is, a source of great pleasure for everyone.

The 1-year-old learned to swim without arm floats the day he jumped in the pool without them and I came running to rescue him. He managed to swim the 2-3 feet to the edge and promptly told me that he didn't need the arm floats any longer.

Since the pool came with the house, I don't know what portion of our electric bill runs the pump. The pool itself is solar heated only during the winter.

We love our pool. I swim laps and like the 35' length; the teenagers LOVE the diving board and the depth (8.5'.)

• snookums
    16 years ago

"Why did we make the decision to spend a boatload of money when we have a "free" pool close by? Because last summer my kids came home from swimming and said that some kid dropped his drawers and p**d in the pool! That is all the reason I needed.."

I hear you on this. Where I live, in Rancho Santa Margarita, we have four pools and a beach club/baby beach. Many neighborhoods also have their own pools in addition to the four city pools.

Just as we were deciding to put in a pool, I had taken my kids to one of the pools to swim. That day, the pool was pretty empty, but one mom got in with her NAKED baby, and another lady was sitting on the steps picking at her feet. That was all I needed to see...

(Granted, our pools have strict rubber pants over swim diapers rules, and the water is tested hourly. But after the lifeguards leave, after 5:00, parents don't always abide by the rubber pants rules. That is when I was there.)

• mike78613
    16 years ago

As skinnydipper says, yes it can be costly. But how much do you go out and spend to eat dinner & lunch. Buy staying at home, you will enjoy the outdoor cooking and enjoying everytime you throw a party w/ guest or family.

Honestly, I do not think pool service is expensive. Maybe b/c I gone SWG setup, but I had my pool for about 1 year, I shocked it only twice. Rain here this past 3 months (in Austin, Tx) flooded, so that forced me to shock and lower the PH. I probably only spent 50.00 in one year on chemicals, if even that. Go to a local/ public pool, they are full of chlorine, that probably make your skin itch when you go out, all the kids and even maybe adults pissing in it. Now thats a floater, huh? I like having my own pool. I get in or out when I want, no life guard gonna blow the whistle and tell everyone to get out @ my place. Gosh!! Best investment yet.

I say get a very good pool cleaner, go w/ liner pool and invest in a SWG. Neighbors down the street has everything opposite, minus pool cleaner and he spent way more on chemicals to up keep his pool. Plus IMHO I have better looking water.

• muddbelly
    16 years ago

As a fellow Texan with a pool, I can give you my take on pool ownership.

We have pool w/hot tub, and it makes a big difference having the tub/heater. This year, with all the rain, we didn't really start swimming until May (although we usually start in April). The season usually ends sometime in September. I have 2 young children, and they love smimming for a couple of hours every few days (you got to watch that sun). I love it for exercise, and an escape from the heat - especially after mowing. Unfortunately, from around late June until mid August, it turns into a bathtub which is really not refreshing at all. The rain this year has really helped keep it cooler for much longer than normal - we didn't hit "bathtub" until just last Sunday.

The other six months a year, you must remove leaves, continue to run the pump, and maintain the chemicals. This really seemed like a waste to me until we got the hot tub heater working again. Now we can get some use in the "off" months. I would really recommend the spa/heater.

Now the cost. I don't think you can get anything nice under $45K here anymore (by the time all is said and done). I have know many who have gone through pool builds, and it can be quite a nightmare.

I do not have any water features, and I estimate the pool costs me around $125-150 a month in electricity. That is a 2 hp pump, and a booster pump for my pool cleaner (Polaris 380) which I only run about an hour a day (longer in "leaf season"). I actually had my pool out of commision when the old heater burst, and saw these cost in comparison. The more waterfalls, fountains, etc. will cost you more in electricity. You also will see a gas bill increase when the heater is used. During regualar hot summers, I have to put the hose in for a 2-3 hours a week - so up goes the water bill.

The chemicals are not too bad - maybe $200 a year. There is also the occasional repair. In the past 3 yerars - $1750 for a heater, $150 for a filter grids, $250 for pool cleaner parts, etc.

All in all, I figure it costs $250-300 month to maintain a pool. I usually spend only a few minutes a week cleaning the skimmers/shocking/backwashing as needed. When the rain really washed mud in the pool, I spent several hours cleaning it for a few days (this has happened 3 times in the past 3 years - twice in the last 3 months). Leaf season needs daily attention - and our neighbors have live oaks which creates a second leaf season in spring (weeee).

If you really want a pool, I would suggest you buy a house with one. I would not be happy with a pool payment on top of the maintenence costs. All the grilling/hanging out/etc. is usually done on the patio - not in the pool. I think your agent may be a little optimistic on the pool's resale. You may see a little return, but not much. Of 4 people house hunting: 1 wants a pool; 1 doesn't care; and 2 absolutely do not want it. One of those last 2, one has had a pool before.
    I don't know if you care about this, but one thing a pool is definately not is "green."

Reguarding the previous post about the previous comment: a little defensive, eh? The OP asked for pros and cons - not just pros. You think your few months of ownership outweighs a guy with 20 year experience with a pool? I know a lot of pool owners around here who would agree with him...

• looony2nz
    16 years ago

hello !
    I read the previous post and I only question the quote >
    If it cost me that much each month to maintain my pool, I'd probably be eating bread and water. That is not an accurate representation of what it costs to maintain a pool. Maybe if you're running your heater every night etc.
    That cost is going to vary greatly, all depending on size, features, etc.

• nanhsot
    16 years ago

I really think this question varies widely by family circumstances and individual preference. For OUR family, our pool is very much a focus. My dh and I start most days with coffee by the pool and end most days with wine by the pool. My kids spend hours per day minimum out there...swimming or just enjoying the deck area, more if friends are here, MANY hours on the days we host a gathering (once per week) of friends. We entertain a lot, we eat outdoors, etc. For our family, being outdoors is natural and normal, that may not be true for all families. We homeschool and we own a business, officing from home. Home is the hub around which everything else hinges. Our way is not THE way and our way is not what works for everyone.

I think each individual family must evaluate the way their own members interact and how much use you believe a pool would get. For my own kids I was not personally comfortable with a pool until they were very strong swimmers, age 7 or so.

Biggest con is cost of course, for me time isn't that huge a factor at this point, I enjoy the maintainance so far and the overall work is reasonable. That may, of course change over time. I also live in Texas, which makes the swim season longer. We hosted a GREAT polar bear club party in January and began hosting regular homeschool swim days in April, which will continue until at least Sept-Oct., so our swim season is long.

I think whether or not a pool fits into your life is not a pro/con issue but an individual issue based upon your own lifestyle, activities, interests, issues. For us being outdoors is definitely a priority, I feel cooped up indoors and choose to spend most of my time outdoors. That is clearly not true for everyone, I believe pool ownership is something very individual and can't be categorized easily.

Good luck in your decision.

• muddbelly
    16 years ago

I didn't mean to grenade - you just really went off about it, even though you have just begun to live "the pool experience." I actually LOL when I read it because it was so against what every one else here was saying. Maybe he doesn't like to type as much as us. I almost think it is a cliche, because I have heard it somewhere before. And I think you know that you will be paying for vacations again soon (a pool is no substitute for Alta, Steamboat, or Kirkwood).

As for the pool maintence cost quote, mine may be a little high compared to others because of the heater replacement, but there is no doubt it is at least $200 a month. You may not realize what you are actually spending. I rarely use gas, and figured maybe $10 a month. $125 electric, $25 water, $20 chemicals/DME, and there is always some little part that costs way more than it should (lets say $20 a month). I'm not sure how much more my HO insurance is costing me. I do think newer pools have more effecient pumps, but they tend to have several of them. Electricity is not near as much here as it is in So Cal. Speaking of which - all you Californians need to gather your rakes, pitchforks, torches and storm those greedy soms of beeatches. 41 cents a kW!!!!! I just signed up with NPC (National Power Company out of Houston) for 16 months at 11.8 per kW.

Don't get me wrong - I like having a pool. In fact, I just got out of my pool - which had cooled down to a nice 88 since a few days ago (85 is my fav). My 3 year old loves it too (the 1 year old could care less). How could a hot backyard be better? But you also got to factor the costs in your decision - as well as the safety hazzards with kids. I worked in a pediatric ER for several years, and while you may hear about drownings in the news - you don't hear as much about "near drownings" which can be, in some ways, much worse. Get a fence with a self closing gate, and make sure you get them in swimming lessons.

Finally the car depreciation comparison. A car is a necessity (here without mass transit), and it generates income by taking you to your place of employment. Sure, you can spend too much, and they do depreciate over time, but not like a pool. A pool depreciates instantly. Safety alone has many parents with young kids absolutely avoid them, and it's not like you can just take it out. That is again why I think the most prudent choice is to purchase a house with one already built. I didn't make these rules, that is just how it is. I know I probably have PO'd a lot of people here, but I will always be honest...

• snookums
    16 years ago

I have to partially disagree with the safety issue. I actually think that kids are more at risk of drowning when they don't have a pool. Kids that have pools generally become avid swimmers very quickly. I was much more worried about my kids in pools before we put one in. They were not strong swimmers. Now that we have one, they are both little fish.

That's not to say that I'm not cautious and I don't worry, don't get me wrong, but I think they were in much more danger of drowning in a backyard pool before we ever owned one. There is nothing better to create strong swimmers than being a pool owner and swimming every day. Before that, they only swam a handful of times, outside of swimming lessons, each summer.

• skinnydipper
    16 years ago

"Finally the car depreciation comparison. A car is a necessity (here without mass transit), and it generates income by taking you to your place of employment. Sure, you can spend too much, and they do depreciate over time, but not like a pool."

I must disagree, sort of. Sure a CAR is a necessity, but a BMW, Mercedes, Hummer, Range Rover etc is NOT a necessity and if you ever visit So CA, you see them EVERYWHERE. Heck, even a full size pick up truck averages $40k, when new. When you drive a brand new vehicle off the car lot you INSTANTLY lose A LOT of it's value, but people have no problem buying these vehicles. However, a car is a daily ego booster. When you put a pool in, you impress only the few people you invite over, rather than everyone you sit in gridlock with everyday-as you do with a vehicle. I guarantee that if we did a poll of what type of vehicles each person on this forum drives, very few drive cars that didn't instantly lose their value. People rarely purchase a luxury vehicle for any reason beyond status symbol with little or no regard for the depreciation. While a vehicle generates income by taking you to your place of work, most people could do that with a $5k car, but when buying a new car most spend $35k -MINIMUM. By my calculations, that's a 30K difference that could be spent on a pool.

So when you're deciding on putting a pool in, you are deciding if your family is worth it, since few others will ever see or use it. It's more difficult a decision for some than others.

• snookums
    16 years ago

Skinnydipper - I totally agree with you. When you calculate the amount you spend on luxury cars, and even vacations, over a period of, say, 10 years, it's far more than the cost of a pool.

• muddbelly
    16 years ago

With that logic, you could also buy a cheap pool; you can get an above ground pool and save $33K. Your vacations can be cheap too - go camping. I don't understand where people get replacing a life of vacations with a pool - its not going to happen. Its another upgraded feature of your house - like a media room or covered patio. You will still want to get away.

There is still no comparison between the car and the pool. One is a need, and the other is an indulgence. A pool does not replace your daily driver, and I sure won't be driving a "cash car" just for a pool. No one MUST have a pool, and they do cost quite a bit of money - even when they are paid off. Paying more for a car gets you increased performance, features, safety, etc. (just like a pool). They lose 20% when you drive them off the lot. In 5 years you may still get 40-50%. The pool will not get you that on the day it's finished. Also, super fancy pools with illuminated deck jets, fire cauldrons, and infinity edges are also staus symbols (just like the BMW). When I look for my next house, a pool will not be a requirement (I am neutral when it comes to cost vs. benefit). I MUST have a big flat backyard for the kids. The ultimate is that close to the neighborhood pool. A big yard with a pool as well comes in a close second. Would I ever pay to have one put in? Probably not. Just my personal opinion - you usage may vary...

• ktdave
    16 years ago

mcdaisymom,

I can't offer experience on owning a pool (yet), but I grew up with one in my back yard and used it almost everyday of the season. My wife and I have been toying with the idea of getting a pool and finally took the plunge. I will say this, the build itself is trying my patience as we are in Texas (katy) and I think it has rained all but about 12 days of the 60 or so days since we broke ground. I added a link below to my pool build thread on another forum. Reading all of the great experiences of all the people here is helping my peace of mind (at the moment).

Good Luck with your decision!

P.S. tagprod said
    "When I step outside my back door and see a pool so clean you'd be proud to give birth in it - it all seems worth it." ..........I can't get that picture out of my head, thanks tagprod!

Here is a link that might be useful: pool build

• lindasewandsew
    16 years ago

Hi, Our pool is in the 'winter' of it's life. It's being demolished in the fall ($8k to $10k). It's about 30 years old and still ok, but could have the usual replaster, retile, etc. in the near future. It was used a lot until the kids got out of high school around 1990. DH used it for a few summers after that. This is probably a very common story in the lives of pool owners.
    I don't recall ever not doing something else because I could swim instead. It's doubtful that you will drive a different car, not go on vacation, not eat out, etc. because you have a pool. 'I deserve it' or 'I only have one lifetime' are not valid reasons to install a pool. Pools do cost quite a bit to own. The utilities, repairs, chemicals, and general upkeep (DH has always been the pool boy here) can add up fast. As far as investment, it's hard to say what a pool might bring in any market. If we put our house up for sale, it will cost over $20k to have the pool refurbished. The pool cost more that to install in the 1970s. Even if upkeep is not entered in, I doubt that my house would fetch half that money back. Without the expensive face lift, it would surely lower the price of the property. I agree with someone else here who said to post the question on some other forums, maybe landscape or remodel.
    You didn't mention if money is at issue at all, so I'm guessing not. I don't think you mentioned if you actually like to swim. A question I have is what makes anyone think that people wouldn't pee in THEIR pool. It seems that people who do that don't care about anyone else, no matter where they swim (not to mention whatever critter may be cooling off when you're not looking, lol). Anyway, hope this isn't too 'con' on the issue. In hindsite, we would probably go with the above ground pool and it would have been gone over 10 years ago. We're not anti pool, just done with ours. Linda

• mcdaisymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input -- pro and con. That's why I asked. Part of the reason we are considering the pool is because there isn't a neighborhood pool nearby and we aren't really the country club type. We are members of a health club with pools (indoor and outdoor) but that means packing up and heading over there which can be a real hassle and that would be true with a neighborhood pool or country clue. Right now I work full time but when my daughter starts school next year I am contemplating switching to teaching ( I work for a community college) so I don't have to hassle with finding care for her during the summer. A pool would be a great way to get her outside and have fun. It would also make it easier to be the house where she and her friends want to hang out as she gets older. I would much rather have her at our house with her friends so I can be the one keeping an eye on things.

That being said -- I know its a lot of money to spend and I do agree that it doesn't mean we will never take another vacation elsewhere. I do think it will cut out the mini-vacations to Texas beaches -- an easy thing to give up for me. I also am not counting on big bucks on resale -- that's why I think it is important that we don't plan on moving unless there is some unexpected career change. Another plus for us regarding resale is that we have a big enough lot that the pool won't be the entire backyard. That was one reason we didn't buy a house with a beautiful pool that we looked at -- you walked out the backdoor and were practically in the pool. We have almost 1 1/2 acres so we can have a pool and still have a yard. Maybe that only makes a difference to me but I have to think that factors into the purchasing decision for others as well. I also think it helps a bit from a safety standpoint. We will be able to fence a pool separately from the "play" area of the yard if we want to and not have it look strange. And no neighbors that can check us out from their backyards or the second story of their house.

Finally -- I am married to a 50 year old kid so he will probably be the number one pool user -- whether our daughter is around or not! =) He is a SoCal native and misses the water. Of course he is no help with this -- he told me if I wanted a pool to get it -- he doesn't worry about the finances. He knows that I will spend all this time figuring things out and researching before I do anything. I guess opposites do attract. =)

Keep the opinions coming. I really appreciate the input. I probably will post on one of the other boards as well. THANKS!

• homersgarden
    16 years ago

We moved into a home with a pool almost two years ago. I had never had a lot of experience with pools, but my husband wanted one badly as his grandparents had one growing up.
    I can honestly say I love it. The thing needs some renovating and has had some problems (recently gas connection had a leak), but with time these will all work themselves out.
    We wanted to create a home where people could stop by and visit and felt comfortable. We also wanted a home where my son and daughter's friends would want to come to. The pool has made this happen.We do have family and friends drop by all the time. They know that I can't always entertain them (such was the case last night when my brother came by to swim and I was making dinner and could not chat), but it has forced me to relax more. I am a high strung person, but with the pool I have learned to relax a little and let things go. I love the imprompteau parties and gatherings.
    My son's friends love to come to swim and since I have to watch them swim I have gotten tanner and read more than I normally would.
    We love the pool and what it has added to our lives!

• snookums
    16 years ago

"I don't recall ever not doing something else because I could swim instead. It's doubtful that you will drive a different car, not go on vacation, not eat out, etc. because you have a pool. 'I deserve it' or 'I only have one lifetime' are not valid reasons to install a pool. Pools do cost quite a bit to own. The utilities, repairs, chemicals, and general upkeep (DH has always been the pool boy here) can add up fast. "

I absolutely couldn't disagree more on this. Maybe this was the case for you, but please don't generalize.

We very often forgo a different activity and choose to swim.

We have definitely cut back on other things in order to be able to afford a pool.

I only have one lifetime is a very valid reason to own a pool. It was the deciding factor for us (see my post above). Perhaps its not valid in your eyes, but please don't pass that judgement onto others. My pool, my reasons. Is there ANY valid reason to own a pool for you?

I know this probably isn't the case for a 30-year old pool, but for new pools, the upkeep is next to nothing. If you have a salt water generator you won't be throwing chemicals in all the time, and if you a built-in vac you won't be scooping junk out all the time. And if you have it computerized it all just does these things at the touch of a button.

Just this pool owner's .02

• kardut
    16 years ago

Interesting to read all these responses. My DH and DD were sold on a pool a long time ago; I was the one who needed a lot of convincing. The money was one thing, but we have a boatload of equity in our house, so I'm not so concerned about resale value if and when we decide to sell. Like you, mcdaisymom, I didn't want a backyard that was all pool, and fortunately our yard is laid out so that the pool will only take up one portion and leave a good amount of play area. The one thing that totally sold me on a pool was visiting my brother and sister-in-law, who had had a pool built over the winter. I have never seen my SIL so relaxed and happy...that's all it took. We started calling pool builders the next day.

• skinnydipper
    16 years ago

"I don't recall ever not doing something else because I could swim instead. It's doubtful that you will drive a different car, not go on vacation, not eat out, etc. because you have a pool. 'I deserve it' or 'I only have one lifetime' are not valid reasons to install a pool."

We opt to stay home almost every weekend during summer. It's a lot more fun than most other places. In fact, this year we saw no reason to renew our Disneyland annual passes. I'm sure we'll renew then someday, but this year we have no use for them.

DH now drives a Toyota Camry to work (25 mpg) while his Ford F250 (8 mpg- due to 10" lift & huge tires) and my GMC Yukon XL (11 mpg-also lifted w/ big tires) sit in the driveway. It kills him, but I refuse to waste extra $$ on gas when we have paid so much $$$$$$$ on this pool. It saves us almost as much $$$ in gas savings as our mortgage went up. Now if I could just convince him to sell his truck- yeah right! Our 16 yr old son just started driving, but he has VW bugs so they get good gas mileage.

As far as eating out, we bbq almost all year now, unless it's raining. That doesn't save us too much money because we invite people over quite often.

All in all, we are conscious of the extra cost this generates and we do try to balance it out so that it isn't such a hit on our budget.

I think the lifestyle change it has on a household depends greatly on how much the family enjoys swimming. We enjoy it enough that we created a pool area that we can spend an entire day at.

• jayp387
    16 years ago

I never wanted a pool. Wife wanted one at previous house and had to 'talk' me into it. I finally gave in and it was the best thing we ever did. Now that we have moved, one of our first priorities was to build a bigger, better pool and outdoor living area. I haven't talked to anyone who hasn't spent more than they planned but everyone also says it is the best thing they have done. A pool is a lifestyle. If you like to be outdoors, have parties (small or large), cook out, relax, swim, enjoy family time, etc. then by all means build a pool. If it's not your thing and you enjoy being in a climate controlled environment all day long, then don't build one. We enjoy just looking at it from the inside of our home as well. I think if done well, it can add value to a home. If done completely on the cheap, it can be a big negative. Good luck with your decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: pics