SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

Pros & cons - raised counter @ island. How do u deal w/messes?

melaska
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm going back & forth on the issue of having a raised counter on my island. The only thing I will have in my island is cupboards below & a prep sink with pull-out trash. I'm planning to use the island mainly for prep.

It's not that big; 3.5 x 6. The thing I don't want to happen is the island becoming a 'catch-all'. I'm trying to think how we are now - my kitchen table tends to catch some overflow but it's 'contained' so it doesn't look too messy. I just don't want to do that anymore.

I like the look of a flat island but I know there are advantages to a raised counter. What kind do you all have & do you have any regrets? How do you deal with the 'dumps'? I thought having a raised counter would hide any messes that do happen.

I'm thinking of taking out my planned pull-out 12" pantry at one end of one counter run (closest to entry where the 'fun' begins!), making it a pull-out pantry just on the bottom & a small 'control center' on the counter & walls of the upper...probably some shelves, too. I will have a small office behind the dining room but it's not like it's 'right there'...I guess I think I need a transitional place until it gets sorted.

Thanks for any tips :)

Comments (5)