SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Are you watching 'the' wedding?

socks
13 years ago

I haven't paid a lot of attention to the wedding hoopla--Friday, right? I work Friday and would like to tape it. Anyone know what time? Will it be on CNN?

Comments (34)

• bulldinkie
    13 years ago

Im gonna try,have to watch it at dialysis with crappy 6" tv that barely works,I bought the original dolls of Princess Diana and Prince Charles in thier wedding attire.The first set they put out,so now Ill have to get William & Kate I guess.

• Lindsey_CA
    13 years ago

Socks, many different stations will be airing the wedding, and repeating it in the evening. Just remember, if you want to see/tape it live, you'll need to figure out how far ahead of your time zone will be the live event.

In other words, the middle of the night here on the west coast will be "live wedding time" in England.

• Related Discussions

Will you watch the wedding?

Q

Comments (14)
    steve----am I nuts, or have you moved? I'm nuts---never mind. Yes; I'll watch the wedding as much as I can get in of it between chores. I'll have coffee, chocolate, some kind of muffins---UNLESS, my daughter invites me over---well, then it would be the greatest breakfast ever----her husband makes the best breakfast in the world!! I keep telling him he should open a diner and serve breakfast all day long. Wow---a ROYAL WEDDING and one of his breakfasts in the SAME day.....Heaven!
    ...See More

Are you watching the Royal Wedding right now?

Q

Comments (14)
    Bulldinkie, the only time I saw them show the queen during singing was when everyone was singing "God Save the Queen," and she wouldn't sing during that! As for Diana vs Camilla, Diana was glamorous and did lots of good, but Prince Charles looks much happier with Camilla to me. I guess when you've been in love with someone for almost 40 years and finally get to be together, it must be nice. I felt bad for everyone in the Charles/Diana split.
    ...See More

Do you watch 'The Closer'?

Q

Comments (14)
    Love it too. It is well acted and well written. Their romance was so funny before they married and tried to hide that they were living together from her parents.
    ...See More

Have you watched "The Wall?"

Q

Comments (17)
    Watched one show, that's about all I can handle. If the contestants used their brains for a winning monetary result (aka-Jeopardy) it would be more enjoyable to watch. All theatrics.
    ...See More
  • pammyfay
    13 years ago

It'll be on CNN -- and 9 other networks (including Telemundo if you can follow in Spanish!) Plus iPad, iPhone apps, Hulu, simulcasts on network's websites. oohboy. I hate to say it, but this might be wedding overload (I will watch some of it but hopefully miss the reporters' dopey questions to onlookers, like "Why did you want to be here today to witness this?")

Here's a Washington Post link to the TV grid. MSNBC and BBC America start their coverage at 3 a.m. (Eastern time)

Here is a link that might be useful: washpost

• samkaren
    13 years ago

I'm CST in Illinois and would have to get up at 4:00 am to watch it.

Actually I wish I could watch it. Friday is our "end of the year" celebration at work. I have to be at work at 8:00 and work until 4:30. The ceremony is at 5:00 and goes to 8:00. I won't get home until 9:00 pm. Only good thing is my overtime will give me 6 hours of comp time. I could take the money but after taxes it's not worth much.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

I'll dvr it.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

Nope. Not into weddings. I don't even like to attend those of people I know much less watch on on TV.

Have a traditional wedding to attend in August. Ugh. Dressing up. Ick. Barf. But I'll suck it up and go since I want to be there for the bride and groom.

So glad my DD had an alternative style "wedding". So did her friend. Went as a gnome to one and a pirate to DD's. Fun and memorable.

Poofy white dress weddings? Yawn.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

I'll record it. It starts at 4 AM here and will be on every major news channel.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

No, I won't be getting up at 4 AM to watch, but considering all of the coverage before, I;'m sure I'll be able catch re-runs.

• jannie
    13 years ago

I'll be getting up early to watch. I remember getting up to watch the wedding of Charles and Diana so long ago. I remember her long train.

• suzieque
    13 years ago

I'm one who doesn't understand why it's such a big thing and no, I can't imagine spending my time watching it. I know I really don't understand the whole royal family bit and what their role/power is. I should learn and then maybe I'd get why this is a big deal. They're certainly not the rulers; aren't they simply figure-heads? Please don't blast me for saying that - I don't mean anything mean or nasty by it.

I know they've got gobs of money and some of them do altruistic things. But what is their "job", so to speak? Do the Queen/King trump the PM? Other? Is it just tradition?

Diana was special - pretty, apparently innocent, etc. Kate is attractive, but not hugely so. William is, in my opinion, unattractive (Harry is mischiefly adorable!). Of course those aren't the reasons I don't care to watch the wedding; I just honestly don't know why it matters.

Suzieque

• maire_cate
    13 years ago

Do I have a choice? It's going to on all TV all the time!

Actually I will watch. Since it starts here at 3 am I thought about recording it but then realized that watching the whole thing would be akin to sitting through a long rain delay at a baseball game...the announcers run out of things to say and that's when they start discussing obscure baseball records. Even my boys who love baseball get annoyed and bored.

So I figure there will be more than enough specials on TV that will give me all the highlights of the day.

I don't particularly admire the British royal family. While it does seem like they are ever so slowly adapting to modern times (and we have Diana to thank for a lot of that) I still think they are far too removed from the commoners and citizens they preside over. I've watch quite a few documentaries on the British monarchy and I am stunned- maybe even stupefied by the precise rules governing every aspect. Have you ever seen the preparations for a formal dinner with the queen? The minutiae is overwhelming- from measuring the placement of every single utensil on the table to the hours spent polishing the silver. The support staff needed for all the residences is mind boggling.

However I am fascinated by the historic pomp...the fashions, the hats, the cathedrals, the rituals, did I mention the hats? I can't imagine Britain without a monarch so I can at least enjoy it from a distance.

• minnie_tx
    13 years ago

I'll probably have it on since I dont get to bed early anyway. In 1986 I spent 5 weeks in England -Mostly the London area so a lot of the sites are familiar to me It was in June so got to see the Queen troop the colors and saw the royal family come by in their coaches - including the Queen Mother and Di then everyone ran over to the palace and saw the royal family come out on the balcony and wave to everyone. Lots of Pomp and lots of fun

• oldgardener_2009
    13 years ago

No, I have no interest in it whatsoever.

I'm already tired of hearing about it. ;)

• Adella Bedella
    13 years ago

I'm not getting up that earso may record it or watch it later in reruns. It's so different from how I live my life that I find it interesting.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

Here's a schedule of events:

Here is a link that might be useful: schedule

• sleeperblues
    13 years ago

No. I'm sure I'll see tons of endless re-runs, whether I want to or not. I did get up to watch Diana and Charles' wedding, but I was young then. I really don't care anymore.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I'll be up at 3am, that's when BBC American starts their programming, but I know nothing will really begin until 4am - there was a schedule printed in our newspaper but I tossed it. I think it said the actual ceremony would begin at 6am? Maybe Google can find that schedule.

• socks
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, that's true, Sleeperblues, there will be lots of re-runs, re-hashes of every aspect. I don't have an avid interest, but I would like to see some of the tradition, her dress, etc. My oh my, her life will be changing. I think she's beautiful.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

I will set the DVR. I expect it to be sufficiently entertaining as I knit for the newest baby that arrived this week. I like to watch tv as I knit or crochet. The pomp and fashion show will be perfect for my day. Then DD and I can talk about what we liked and did not like. I suspect Katherine's stylist has continued to give her good advice on planning her wedding gown. She certainly has hired an excellent stylist from looking at her wardrobe in the past year or more.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

Oops, spelled her name wrong. It is Catherine.

• ntt_hou
    13 years ago

I am too, tired of hearing every single little (and I mean little) detail about it. The media is just too much! Nevertheless, I'd love to see a royal wedding. I watched prince Charles and Diane's wedding and was in awe with the ceremony and the music. Love to watch it again. But really, do I need to know where William and Kate have been for the past few days, where they ate, what they ate and drank, with whom they ate with, where they pooped, oops... sorry... Well, you got the picture.

I was planning to record it, but then I figured that eventually a DVD of the event will be on sell later. So, why bother. If any of you that are recording the event and decide to offer a copy for a reasonable price tag, please let me know. Thanks.

• joann23456
    13 years ago

Sure, I'll watch. Probably not at 4:00 a.m., but certainly by 6:00.

I'm just so happy that the news won't be about the newest murder/rape/home invasion ...

• ntt_hou
    13 years ago

My emotion is running up and down like a roller coaster right now. Watching the news and seeing the devestation in Alabama is so hard to control the tears. Then, the news switched over to the wedding, showing where Kate has her hair done, etc.. Really! Are they for real?!?! I want to see the news happening here, in our US country.

At this time, I am really more concern about people in Alabama and other areas that the bad line of weather hit last night. I truly don't care about the Royal family at this time. I don't know whether the media in the US have a sound of mind or not. It's so idiotic!

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I'm not watching any of the Kate and William pre-shows, reality bits or news stories (if I can help missing the news reports). It's already a given that the wedding will generate all kinds of revenue for all involved, why keep hashing it over and over, the hype spoils it for me.

I also watched Prince Charles and Di get married,I was late for work if I remember correctly.

• ann_in_florida
    13 years ago

I have to work but I already have my DVR set to record the entire thing. I was a huge fan of Princess Diana and I know how much she loved her children and wanted them to be happy in life. I think Diana is smiling down on William for choosing Catherine to be his bride. Besides....I still love fairy tale weddings.

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

I will be watching but from a recording not actual time.

I like to see the elegant attire, the pomp and ceremony and it is, after all, whether you like it or not, history being made....

I think it is wonderful that many of us still have that little spark of loving the fairy tale as Ann mentioned above.

• cate52
    13 years ago

according to what i've read & seen already on t; the essence of the wedding will be available by the evening news or news shows like dateline. Will be about a 2 hour production. -- but like ntt_hou, i suspect it will also be available on dvd..shortly, just like 'the dress'..

• chisue
    13 years ago

I'm an anglophile, so I am interested. I'll be happy seeing the TV news AFTER the event. (Much nicer than having to arrive at the Abbey at 8 a.m. for an 11 a.m. service; seriously, that's in the schedule.)

I'm interested to see that the Middleton family has taken over The Goring Hotel. The bride will be sleeping there tonight. DH, DS and I stayed there before a Baltic cruise a LONG time ago. DS was intrigued with the very elaborate bathrooms, and his little room under the eaves overlooked the hotel's large private garden. The palace is just 'round the corner.

One of the best trips we ever took was driving around the counties outside of London, staying in self-catering places. I've loved England since touring when I was 14.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

The official time line
    TIMELINE: The Royal Wedding

the actual wedding starts at 6am EST which would be 5am for those of us CST

world wide time zone map
    Time Zone Map

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I posted that yesterday, not the same one but same info.

I was going to get up at 3am, but I'm not so sure now. I'm feeling sleepy already and it's only 9:09pm. here!

• ntt_hou
    13 years ago

I'm fixing to eat something and then, go to sleep. I'll get up at 3am to watch. Was going to record it but after setting up all components, I'm unable to. On certain channels, I get this message: "The content you want to record is protected". Sigh... What can this poor girl do?

I guess, when the DVD comes out and if the price is reasonable, I may purchase it. Although, it may not have as much coverage in the DVD content as live on TV.

Sigh... I miss the Analog world when you can just record what you want on TV.

• popi_gw
    13 years ago

Well I guess I am lucky, I am in Sydney and the wedding is on at 7pm, on most tv stations, there is nothing else on !

As the day wears on I find I am being caught up in it all.
    Silly as it is, the Queen of England is our head of state. Yes we have a foreign head of state.

It is important for them to enjoy their day, and not be sidetracked by all the onlookers. I think it would be quite stressful.

• ruthieg__tx
    13 years ago

I do believe that Kate and William offer the hope of a new Monarchy and a new approach to royal life and I suspect that at least for awhile they will be able to enjoy just being married. When he finishes his military service and they move back to London, It will probably be different but for now, they bring new life to the Monarchy.

• wildchild
    13 years ago

My TV is only on when I am actually watching a program I like so I have been able to miss all the hoopla. I watch most stuff online when I can anyway.

With luck the whole thing will pass and I will remain ignorant. LOL

I'm sure I will see a picture or two online, that's unavoidable, but I won't need to see all the details . I can just read them here and at other forums and wonder at the "why" of it all. ;-)