SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kallisto_gw

seeking advice on layout

Kallisto
11 years ago

First post, but I have learned so much from lurking here and taking in all the good advice and goodwill. The resources to be found here are invaluable.

We are embarking on a kitchen remodel of our 1969 colonial with its original kitchen. The major problems with our existing layout are a bottleneck in front of the fridge, and no real venting. We are a family of 4 with 2 small children. My husband is a fantastic home cook, while I try to keep up with his dishes.

Our budget is modest. We have found a flexible and affordable GC for remodel and installation. For cabinets, he likes Schrock from Menards (we are in the Midwest) and we are also pricing out HD options. We are also interested in Barker RTA and waiting on a sample door to check out their painted finish.

I have attached our existing and proposed layouts. We plan to remove the wall between kitchen and laundry/pantry, move the laundry to the basement, and yes, we will miss our main floor laundry. Any miracle solutions are welcome!

We want to open up the kitchen to the breakfast nook area, removing the peninsula. (A future plan might be to add banquette seating at the picture window.) In general, we want better traffic flow. The space seems too small for even the smallest fixed island.

My challenges are making sure we have enough storage, as we're giving up storage in the laundry/pantry. I'd also like to find a spot for a small broom closet. Oh, and it seems that the corner cabinets will look rather crowded in there next to the full height pantry.

As a side note, our two year old has developmental disabilities. She will likely walk, so mobility/access is not a primary concern in this design. I would be interested, however, in hearing from others who may have experience about things to consider as we plan this space. Her disorder means that her movement will be somewhat clumsy, in layman's terms, so fewer barriers are probably better?

Thanks for reading this far. I look forward to hearing suggestions!

existing layout:

and proposed new layout:

Comments (10)