SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
concretehole

Contract / Off-Contract - Bait and Switch

concretehole
16 years ago

I am not sure if this is the place for this but it is good for me to vent and maybe someone has been down this road before.

Around the end of April we interviewed 7 pools companies and we had one salesman that was very helpful and nice to our family. He even stayed one night for dinner with us and prayed over supper. We like this guy but his price was over our budget.

One of the other pool companies came in several thousand dollars lower and on track with the budget. We contacted our first guy and he stated he would have no problem meeting our budget and getting us in on target.

We had the first guy back out and drew up the contract for 81K which was just 1K over the budget. This was to include the pool, wall and a small pit area. I explained that we were already over budget and asked if there could be any other expenses down the line. He stated as long as they did not hit rock on the dig we would be fine and he could keep to the budget.

He wrote us up two separate contracts to sign and when I asked why he told me that to hit our budget he would have to write up the decking and landscaping as a separate item which he would not get commission. He assured me that this was the only difference and they would take care of everything.

We never saw his again but the PB came in and took over. He was a slick guy and the only time we have seen him is when it is time for a check or a major disaster is happening.

He dug the pool but when it came time for the coping and decking he stated that was all off-contract and he would recommend some names. He has sent out a guy for our wall that ended us raising the wall price 1500. He has sent out a guy for the coping and I am wondering if this is his first coping job. They had me helping dig the steps the day before the pour. I also spent a day driving around with the coping guy trying to find the best price on foam.

The PB has not provided any support and acts like he has done me a big favor every time he sends out one of these clowns. I had to give his guys a check for $50 today for gas to haul the dirt hill out of my yard. This is only a couple of the daily antics that have been playing out at my home. The PB had the nerve to ask for his third payment today even though we are weeks away from tile and it looks like the coping will need to be ripped out before the decking can go in. I have not slept in weeks and my wife has cried enough to fill the pool.

If my math is right we are going to come in way over budget and I am looking at raiding the kids college funds.

I feel like I have been tricked and the sales representative for the PB committed fraud by misrepresenting the product they were selling me.

I was certain that I was buying a turn-key product in the beginning that I would just need to add water and enjoy. Had any of this been properly explained to me I would have never chosen this company. I know some PBÂs may say this is ignorance by the homeowner is no excuse but how is a average trusting Christian family supposed to be up to speed on the shell games that some low-life contractors live and breathe by.

I guess this will end up being one for the courts. I know the PB will state that he was only responsible for his portion of the contract but I have documented everything and I do have witnesses of what was originally presented to me. I will try to update this story if we ever have an end.

Also thanks for reading all of this as it is therapeutic for me to have a chance to write this out....

Comments (13)