SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dizzy8

Comparing contracts

dizzy8
17 years ago

I have two estimates so far. One left a few items as "allowances" and didn't add them into his final amount. Things such as grading our sloped lot where we don't know how much grading we will need. Ok with me. When he put in his profit/management fees, he did not have these allowances in the calculation. Therefore, his fee is several SEVERAL thousand dollars less than our other builder.

Both builders put rough prices in for things like trim (based soley on the linear feet of trim they would need and not on what style we would pick), electric (based on the average number of outlets/switches that most people use)etc. Both builders left off various items that we requested, so we know the final price will be higher than what they showed us.

I wonder what to expect when it comes time to firm up a final price with either builder. Would you all recommend waiting to pick a builder until after a final bid or to pick one based on the estimates? Am I right to expect that after we add in all the things they didn't include and increase allowances to what we know it will take, that they will increase their management fee to the percentage of the new total? Or, should I be expecting that the management fee will stay the same and then see if the one with the higher fee is willing to base his on less? Seems like I would be better off keeping all my allowances way low so that the management fee is based on a lower number and then just paying the extra for going over things. Am I missing something?

Comments (5)