SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
demeron

Another earnest $ question, sigh

demeron
17 years ago

We dissolved the contract with the second set of buyers-- signed that contract I think early November, went through inspection, updated electrical per their request ($1700), and then about ten days before settlement we hear there is a 15K IRS lien on their current house. Then we hear it's ok, they still want to buy the house and they're going to pull it together. A week before settlement, yeah they're fine if they sell their car (!) A day or two before settlement, they can't do it-- husband's student loan came on line after finishing college and they now no longer qualify for the loan, and produced a letter from the lender to that effect.

My realtor says they misrepresented their financial situation and hence are out of contract. My realtor's partner says that the money tends to go to the party with the free lawyer. (It is a small amount, $2K.) I know that obtaining financing is part of the contract, but it seems off that they can lie to get preapproved, sit on our house for two months, require us to lay out money, and then days before settlement fall apart leaving us holding the bag. Meanwhile our house is now vacant and less attractive to buyers.

Anybody with experience in this kind of situation?

Comments (26)