SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

(sigh)Primer questions--Full adhesion? Hardness? 14 days to cure?

sooz
16 years ago

Our 1949 bathroom was painted pink (looks like it was a flat paint), then some kind of aquamarine (looks shiny, so probably an enamel, and it's peeling in some areas), then wallpapered. We've removed the wallpaper and have been able to peel away the [at least 30 year old] enamel (?) paint in some areas.

We decided that Bulls Eye 1-2-3 water based interior/exterior primer that sticks-to-all-surfaces was best for this job, so we did our first coat of primer today. Some of the aquamarine shows through--not a problem, we'll just put on two coats of primer unless there is a reason not to do so.

Anyway, the can of Bulls Eye says full adhesion and hardness develops in 7 days. It also says it can be used with any topcoat AND it can be recoated in 1 hour.

So if it can be recoated in 1 hour, what does the "full adhesion and hardness" part mean? I should wait a week instead of an hour to recoat it? On-line, I found something that said the Bulls Eye 1-2-3 takes 14 days to cure.

I'm dizzy!!!!! Could someone help me and enlighten me please??? What do these somewhat contradictory terms mean for what I want to do?

Also, while I'm asking, I'm going to use a semi-gloss enamel paint--is that an appropriate choice?

The neighborhood hardware and paint store has Behr and Valspar. Should I choose BM or ??? paint instead? I'll only need a gallon, so if it's more expensive than Behr or Valspar, no problem unless it's over $50/gallon!!!!

Smiles,

Sooz

Comments (8)