SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sun_n_surf_chaser

Random babblings and young whipper-snappers.

sun_n_surf_chaser
16 years ago

After staying with my sister for two weeks and using her salad spinner,I decided to treat myself to this nifty kitchen gadget. I found one at walmart for $3.00. Last night before dinner, I tore off the cellophane to wash it prior to using it only to discover that the label, which is about 3"x6", is stuck for life to the thin plastic outer bowl. I threw it in a Walmart bag with my receipt. I figure I'm worth more than a $1 a day and I'm not spending 3 days trying to remove that @#$% sticker. I've been around paint and wallpaper for 29 years now and know more about adhesives than I care to know. If some young whipper-snapper behind the customer returns counter gives me any flack,even the slightest eyebrow twitch, they will hear at least 45 minutes of what I know about removing @#$% glue!

I'm pretty sure that the only thing that can explain what I'm experiencing lately is Tinnitus.I wish I had the whooshing wave noises but I have the unpleasant plague of crickets in my head. I know I'll probably have to go through a battery of tests but it will have to wait for two weeks when I return home since we're working out of town for about ten days and I will only see my doctor. At times I'm doing that cute doggie head tilt when I walk around to balance myself,lol.

While at the grocery store the other day, it was just about my turn in line as the woman in front of me was swiping her card. I politely asked the young man who was bagging for "double paper, please". "We don't have paper bags, only plastic", he retorted. Hearing this before and actually finding paperbags, I looked on the shelves at the end of the counter anyway. "You don't have any anywhere?", I asked again in my sweetest voice. "No, all the Asians steal them so we don't order them anymore."

Sheeeet, I about gave birth to a cow right there and then! And guess what race the woman was swiping her card?!?! You guessed it! The Asian woman's eyes grew ever so large as she tried to maintain her composure from the young whipper-snapper's words and get herself the hell outta there. My Opal Dragon got the best of me as I decided to embarrass him back. "Well now", I said while laughing right at him, "there's a sweeping generalization for ya!" I added sarcastically: "Do all the Blacks steal the plastic bags, too?" The black cashier got a kick out of as she did her best hiding her grin towards me from her nasty co-worker.

Guys, I did my best under the spur of the moment but that little !@#$ didn't turn red enough for my satisfaction and I should of gone straight to his manager.

When will I ever get over gender biasness? I've taken a lot of it in stride over the years but I guess when I get hit with it more than three times in one day, I risk losing my patience. A new client asked: "So, do you like do the brush work and Jimmy does everything else?" Uggg. I was nice and said: "Umm, I kinda do everything that he does."

That same day the knob guys came to the job site. Yup, there are actually people who install knobs on cabinetry for their job. I always call them the knob guys. While I was standing there holding wet wallpaper, one knob guy ask me if I was the cleaning lady. Sigh. "Umm, nope, I'm kinda hanging wallpaper,I said nicely. Later, when I was painting the bathroom with wallpaper primer, I somehow remained calm when the super threw the light switches to the 300 heat producing halogen lights for the third time on me. You would think a super of a 38 unit building would know that you can't see where the heck you're painting under bright lights. I just smiled threw my sweat and asked him not to do that. Don't get me started on supers. Lets just say, many of them are hired for their ability to schedule and be diplomatic rather than knowing anything about construction.

In all fairness, I think I've done pretty well during these situations considering Jimmy and I worked 14 days straight in a gazillion degree heat and humidity. Okay, well, maybe I could of been more pleasant or patient regarding my next and final story. It was day 13 and I was starting to run out of steam,lol.

I was in Home Depot with a small wood chip trying to match the stain on the Miniwax chart only it is set at eye level for someone who is 6' tall. Hmmm, now who do we all know who average 6' tall?

MEN!

(My 6' 2" son Michael thinks he's funny when I ask him to get something off a shelf. "Oh, that's right. I forgot you were a hobbit.")

okay, okay...it is funny

Anyway, while struggling with the chart and my 5'2"ness,lol, I notice 5 gallon buckets on the floor behind me. Ignoring the young Home Depot guy stacking the shelves, I pull out the 5 and scoot it over with my leg. Having tons of experience trying to lift 5 gallon paint containers, I opt to use my leg so I still have a working back next week. I position the 5 at the stain chart and hop on top of my ONE FOOT tall makeshift stool. Ahh, now I'm man height and can see the chart! I am intently examining color differences when the young Home Depot whipper-snapper comes over to me. He speaks. Bad move. He addressed me as "mamm". Very bad move. He's doomed and doesn't know it. In his most condescending, snobby tone, he says: "Mamm, I'd rather you not do that." I pull my glasses down my nose and say. "I have a lot of work to do today and I refuse to stain twice so it's important that I get a perfect match." Then I look ALLL the way down to my teeny tiny stool and say; "Don't worry, I won't sue Home Depot if I fall."

God help the person working the counter at Walmart when I return that salad spinner,lol.

~di

Comments (18)

• Janis_G
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm just glad I don't work at the Walmart where you're returning the salad spinner. :0)

You go girl!!!

• shadowgarden
    16 years ago

You are just lucky you did not try to return it to the walmart where we were trying to get a job for DH. We figured instead of a Walmart greeter he could be a Walmart Grumper. He would answer inquiries with remarks like "PLIERS ARE ARE THE HARDWARD SECTION YOU DUMBHEAD!!" or "NEXT TIME YOU COME MAKE UP YOUR MIND WHAT YOU WANT BEFORE YOU COME SO YOU WON'T ASK ME SO MANY TOM FOOL QUESTIONS!!"

• maryb_sw_mi
    16 years ago

Di - you rock girlfriend!! Thanks for the late night smile! Please let us know how Walmart went, ok?

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

This is great~~ another lol at the beginning of the day.

I hate returning stuff. Not the actual return, but the long wait in line that invariably precedes the transaction. I figure my time is worth about $40 an hour... that's less than my office salary, but 40 times more than my home pay. Any way, I'd look at that label and allow 6 minutes for removal (cost of item $4 = $4 of time). If the sticky didn't come off, I'd turn the spinner into a plant pot. In other words, the item has to cost more than $40 for me to be willing to stand in line for an hour to return it!

Oh, Di... if you think gender bias is bad now, just wait until you're another 30 years older and get the gender + AGE bias! Very few little old men are considered [or treated] to be as helpless and incompetent as any female with white hair and wrinkles. Sheesh, know-it-all adolescents are mature in comparison.

• mwoods
    16 years ago

tinnitus here too.I've had it for 15 years and it's no surprise considering all the music I've had in my ears for longer than I can remember. I'm used to the crickets now and rarely do they annoy me..kind of like a ticking clock. Sometimes you can't even hear it.

• shadowgarden
    16 years ago

You know I think I saw something on TV about a new medication for tintinitis. I had that once and it drove me batty. It went away after a while.

• treehouse
    16 years ago

For tinnitus, before thinking of meds get your ear canal professionally cleaned. You won't find gold, but you may be really grossed out with what is in there.

di~ you are so funny. My monitor and keyboard are now clean!!!!!!!

Jan

• Janis_G
    16 years ago

Tinnitus? So that's why I keep hearing cricket noises in my head,
    ears, whatever. Thank goodness! I thought it was one of
    those earwiggy things gnawing away at what little brain
    matter I have left.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    16 years ago

It can also be an indication of damaged hearing: my father suffered badly with his tinnitus, combined with partial deafness. The hardest thing, he said, was trying to filter out background sounds (such as music, in a restaurant) as well as filtering out the tinnitus hissing, so that he could follow the conversation.

We all managed, generally, to filter out a degree of background noise, but the additional tinnitus strain made it almost impossible for him to eat out anywhere with music.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

You all have made my Saturday. I was feeling like the hardest person in
    the world to get along with and now have had a good laugh and found people of a like mind.

Had to go into town yesterday,did'nt feel like getting out of bed much less go to town and yep to Wally world. My pet peeve is those #^*% squares of pills that each pill has to be dug out with a jack hammer. I had to get some benydryl caps. I looked at the box and thought of those nasty little pockets of pills and walked over to the pharmicist and told them my arthritic fingers refused to mess with them and if they wanted to sell them they could take them out of the package and put them in a bottle and go complain to the company that packaged them. To my surprise they complied without a murmer. I've felt like a monster ever since. Now i feel better.

Now i can have a lot of fun sometimes with these young whipper-snappers(have'nt heard that in a long time)that have the little ole lady syndrome. I will make slaves out of them while i'm in the store. "Can you hand me that can, it's just out of my reach (About 2" above me) and that bottle over there. I can't make up my mind do i want wood glue or gorrilla glue? On the one hand..........but on the other hand...........or maybe just plain Elmers glue." If i'm not in a hurry i can keep them tied up for 5 min.or more.

My DD is worse than i am. She makes a hobby of returning anything that has a flaw in it,if it only cost .50 and she loves to argue about unfair practices. She made an art of that when she was a teenager at home than found out it would work with people outside the family. LOL

• shadowgarden
    16 years ago

You know I am thinking that there is a new job possibility here, something like flawed stuff returner. Someone who takes stuff back to the store for those of us who hate to do it. They could take half of the proceeds. Last time DH did it because he knew I wouldn't, it was only $20.

• tibs
    16 years ago

Yeah, there are professional shoppers, so professional returners makes sense. My co-worker would be great at either job. She loves to shop and can sweet talk anyone into taking an item back.

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Di, if you're having balance problems as well, it might be labrinthitis.

• kathyjane
    16 years ago

di---you've got me doing belly-laughs! I would love to be a fly on the wall as you go through your daily rounds---

---I have crickets with a waterfall behind them...caused by the same malady Marda has...had some vintage Alan Parsons playing on my way to what's left of my job today---it was so fun, except for the little voice which kept saying, "You're gonna pay for the fun, lady!" Sheesh.
    Get older. Get slower. Makes it harder to run from that little voice.....

• ofionnachta
    16 years ago

Next time you have some kind of sticker glue on a purchase, why don't you squirt some lighter fluid on the sticker. Works for me every time. With real stubborn glue, maybe two applications--but it works.

• calliope
    16 years ago

They still make lighter fluid?

• Josh
    16 years ago

Suzy, they make lighter fluid and you can still find flints and even wicks...look in an oldfashioned grocery/pharmacy near the snuff and roll-your-own papers...LOL I even bought 3 bottles of snuff 'cause they were such cute little fat brown bottes for mini-bouquets...josh

• emagineer
    16 years ago

I have a friend who works at HD, consider the rest of her co-workers worthless, and always head to her for whatever I'm after. She was standing with 3 of them and all talking about furnace thermostats. Behind her, I said "Jeesh, you guys have a hard time figuring out what I need, now you're training a girl". She whipped around ready for a face off. Then hugged me and told the guys I was one of the good people.

No friends at Walmart, but wish I had your spunk. Bought a White IPOD because it had to be installed in my car..wanted black but they were out and I was on a mission. Exchanged the IPOD the next week and when the guy asked me why, I said it was a BD gift for my son but he wanted black. Guy looked right at me and said "Your son must be spoiled rotten". I just grabbed the new one and got out of there fast before he changed his mind about exchanging it.

The girl thing and construction also eludes me. Have always done it and my daughter too. We chuckle about watching guys take hours doing something so simple and listening to their complaining. Usually a few bets too on how long it takes for them to ask for a bandaide. I volunteer at the Habitat store (addictive), bosses have no qualms with any of us doing our jobs or what we are capable of. Greatfully, the majority of customers are wonderful too and have no problem asking this little old lady for help. We were sited as the best hardware store in the county. I love it there.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer
More Discussions