SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

What are you known as?

alisande
16 years ago

I never knew the names of the two female gym teachers who used to live a couple of miles down the road; they were always referred to as "the lesbian couple." (Actually, my neighbors didn't use the term lesbian, but we won't go into that.) Other nameless people live on the road as well. For example, we have "the retired teacher," "the artist," and "the woman who has peacocks." And how could I forget "the family with the pool"?

When we first moved here we were known as "the New Yorkers." I would hope at this point I've been given credit for my 32 years in this house, but you never know. I do know some people who used to think of me as "the flower gardener," but I doubt that applies anymore. I hope some still think of me as "the blonde," although these days that does seem doubtful. But some labels stick . . . and stick and stick. "The guy with the limp" will probably still be known that way long after he's had his knee replaced.

Labeling doesn't just happen in rural areas, of course. At a certain age, most of us are thought of, at least by strangers and casual acquaintenances, as "old woman" or "old man." Children are children. Teenagers are teenagers. Gays are gays, unless you live in a more evolved community than mine. As for colorblindness, I hope it will happen in my lifetime but I'm not counting on it.

Getting back to my dirt road, I've heard mention of "those people from Maryland," "the old man with the buckets" (he feeds his horses), and "Edna's sister's kid." As for me, I'm probably known as "that city woman who always has a camera around her neck" or "the one who lives in the Indian's house" (people from India lived here in the 1950s, but my neighbors have long memories) or "the one who doesn't go to our church." I don't know any of this for sure, but I know I'll never ask.

How about you? What do you think you're known as?

Comments (53)

• carol_in_california
    16 years ago

I am know as "that lady who has the big lemon tree" and by some "Carol, the nurse."
    I keep telling everyone I am retired and no longer have a RN license but I still get called for advise. Generally my advise is "Call your doc.....but you can try this in the meantime." (I was a triage nurse.)

• maryanntx
    16 years ago

I used to be known as the cake lady because I decorated cakes. Now I'm known as the computer lady. When someone has computer problems or needs help with something on the computer they call me.

• Related Discussions

Goat people: What do you wish you'd known before getting them?

Q

Comments (14)
    I wish I would have known how much fun they are to have around. I would have had them sooner. Not over feeding them grain is important. You can kill them with kindness...and they are pretty convincing when they tell you they are starving. I have a dozen goats of various breeds and ages and mine free range with no problem. They are a friendly group and the first few weeks I stayed with them and walked with them where they were allowed to be. Now they have their own routine. I still need to walk out back with them to get them out of the barn, but once they start eating I can slip away without them following me. They seem to keep the same routine everyday...browsing their favorite spots in the same order....finishing with the pine trees then back to the barn. One thing I do keep in mind now, is that when I am purchasing a goat, I make sure they have been handled and are used to people. They are just easier to handle when you do need to get ahold of one for hoof trimming or whatever. Have fun! Carrie
    ...See More

You thought you were being clever, but you should've known better

Q

Comments (35)
    I've never had either of those salvias travel. They just get monstrous and overshadow everything around them. The centranthus on the other hand spreads like wildfire by seed and roots. You can't get the dang things out by the roots very well, either. They break off, leaving sections and those pop out new growth within days. Self-perpetuation at its best. Morning glories fortunately don't do that well here. I've never grown them, but I understand they are more of an annual here.
    ...See More

Have you ever not known what you did wrong?

Q

Comments (4)
    Spike sent me to Disney when I was very new to the forums, and it was traumatic, to say the least. I had mentioned another forum, and zoooooom, there I went. I begged, groveled and pleaded to be allowed back, and asked what I had done wrong. The reply was, "Who do you think pays the bills, the tooth fairy???" Well, after a couple of days, Spike allowed me to return to the KT.
    ...See More

What 'known' designer would you hire?

Q

Comments (44)
    Good to read this thread. I thought about it all night. Who would I use? I seriously couldn't come up w/ an answer for the most part! I feel stuck in 'something' for some reason. I'm not seeing anything that excites me lately. Mostly due to lack of time anymore so I seem to only know all of the same old same old designers (not a bad thing in anyway - they're tried, true, tested and great!). I'm barely able to find time to get on the internet anymore to look for new designers and I'm tired of the same stuff in magazines to the point of cancelling almost all of them. I've just seen a bunch of names tossed out that I am not familiar w/ so I am excited to go check out their work. Thank you! I'm bored - I need inspired! If Windsor Smith could do my home similar to this kitchen I'd be happy. I've coveted this kitchen since it first appeared on the Sept 2010? issue of HB: Source: Uploaded by user via Tiffani on Pinterest Source: Uploaded by user via Tiffani on Pinterest
    ...See More
  • grammahony
    16 years ago

At work I was known as YaYa, as that was/is my license plates. I could have been know as something else as well, but just never heard it. At home here, I'm the woman with the flowers, and the bird lady.
    Leslie

• nan_nc
    16 years ago

In our small community, I'm generally just known as DH's wife, as he never no NEVER introduces me by my name! I have to speak up! And I will not start on the rant which that inspires! He is a well-known BSer, and never met a stranger.

• donna37
    16 years ago

We used to be "those people from California" that was over 25 years ago and I think they have forgot that.

"that nurse that worked at the health dept"
    "that woman that has that flea market store"

• kayjones
    16 years ago

I am known as Memaw, Gramma, Mom, Mother, Jo, Jodie, Josephine, Crab, Sunshine, The Mouth, Crazy woman and a host of others I just can't think of at the moment!

• whidbeykathy
    16 years ago

DH's wifw, or "she weaves baskets" Kathy

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

I wonder what our neighbors do say. Probably "That crazy old lady with the little weiner dog." LOL. I used to be known as "Tommy's Mom, the Librarian."
    Clare

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

I have snowball hair, and everyone comments on it! duh

• marilyn_c
    16 years ago

I am sure the people that go up and down the bayou in boats, refer to me as the "raccoon lady", because they always slow down to see the raccoons that I put food out for.

I am known to most people for the animals I rehab...possums, mostly...and waterlilies. I have raised waterlilies for over 40 years.

I really keep to myself, and I am sure a lot of people think I am pretty weird. Or, crazy, more precisely. And, I guess I am. I also have a lot of cats....so I guess that cinches the "crazy cat lady" title.

I live on "the old Hailey place"...altho the Hailey's moved away from here in the '70's. Before moving here, we lived on the "Van Zandt dairy" for 30 years. It wasn't a dairy while we had it, but the locals still called it that.

• lynne_melb
    16 years ago

The lady with the 4 little white dogs.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

For the couple people who don't know us well on our cul-d-sac, I am probably "the woman we never see" (I'm always at work) and DH is "the guy who washes his car every day and then the neighbor's cars" LOL

Jodi-

• joyfulguy
    16 years ago

Probably "the guy that lives at Old Stuart's place".

ole joyful's place

• bestlawn
    16 years ago

The obituary lady
    Brings a smile to some people believe it or not :)

• Cherryfizz
    16 years ago

I like reading this thread. LOL

When Lucy was a tiny kitten I used to bring her down the street to visit my friend's Mom. Emily the little girl who lived next door would come over and pet Lucy and one day she stopped by my house and brought Lucy a cat toy that her cat didn't play with. I was at a store one day and I heard a whisper "Mom, there is the cat lady" Bwahahaha. I only had one cat so I never thought I would ever be known as "the cat lady"
    I am also known as the "Good" daughter who took wonderful care of her Mom (I've overheard that one many times) and probably the woman who walks the black dog. I don't know what the newer people who have moved in the last years refer to me as. They could think I am divorced or separated since I live alone. They probably think my brother is my ex. LOLOL

I have lived on this street my entire life for the most part along with a few other neighbours. When we refer to newer people we call them the people who moved into Peck's old house, or Kempson's old house, etc. We don't know their names yet.

When I was a kid there was a man who walked down the street who would swing his head round and round. He was dropped as a baby (really!) We called him the "swing man" but I am not sure if it is because he swung his head all the time or because he would give us swings if we asked him too. We called him "Bill the swing man" Over the years we have all wondered what became of him and I recently heard he is in a nursing home now.

Everyone refers to my neighbour as the "crazy lady" who moved in next door to Anne.LOLOL

Anne

• cindyb_va
    16 years ago

We live on a tight knit street in the city, so we all call each other by first names. But ont he surrounding blocks, I am known as "that woman who is always walking her dog".

• momcat2000
    16 years ago

"Miss Margie, the Fire Mom" or
    "The Lady with all those Boys"

• lindyluwho
    16 years ago

I don't know what we are called on our street. DH is probably that nosey old man in the green house. I call him Gladys Kravitz. He is home all day and stays outside alot so he knows what's happening on our street. DH can't remember names and calls the neighbors various things.

College students are "the Kids".
    Man from Colorado - "Colorado".
    The people who live in the ditch. (house built on steep lot)
    People with the twins.
    Granny and Grandpa (much older couple)
    Glassbowl (I cleaned that one up a bit)
    He actually does know and uses the names of a couple of the people. One day he referred to Colorado as Bob and I didn't know who he was taking about!!!

Linda

• IndianaKat
    16 years ago

In my hometown I'm still referred to as "the oldest Parker girl". On our block here I'm known as the "bird lady" or "that woman with the camera"......or "Aaron's grandma"....

~Kathy~

• dirt_yfingernails
    16 years ago

Our priest used to hand out Tootsie rolls to the kids when I was little. My little sister used to call him the "Tootsie Roll Man", and refused to call him Father Stanley.

My childless uncle used to save his pennies to give my little kids. The oldest DD used to call him her "Penny Uncle".

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

Just the other day I was talking to a woman that lives down the street. My neightborhood is mostly older folks. She said no one can ever remember my name so they all refer to me as "the girl with the pretty red dog". LOL!!! This "girl" is 55 years old!!!! hahaha

~Betsy

• jannie
    16 years ago

When I was a kid I was "one of the three blond girls". My two sisters and I had long blond hair. My hair turned dark over the years, you wouldn't recognize me. Now my friend Marilyn calls me "The Quiet One." I'm very shy. Always have been.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

Everyone in my community knows my family. But, I only moved back to my home town 2 years ago, after being away for years. So, some would refer to me as the "Daughter of the Depot Dispatcher", "Daughter of the Q.P. Lady", "Sister of the Blues Guy".

Or, "the people in the pink brick house with the Motorhome in the driveway".

Gayle

• gazania_gw
    16 years ago

Probably in my neighborhood, I am known as "that crazy lady on the scooter thats always out in her yard digging in the dirt"

I had a friend that called me "mediocre Margaret", all in fun...I think.

• momcat2000
    16 years ago

In high school, my gang call me "Sister Margaret Frances" cause I was always such a moral prude ...

• sjarz
    16 years ago

Some of my tenants call me the b***h...lol.
    Some of my tenants call me Mom, as does my daughter and her boyfriend.
    My boss sometimes call me the crack boss, due to the drug problems in our area.
    My brother calls me Sue, a name I've always despised for unknown reasons.
    MouCat calls me Chicken because when he sees me he thinks food..hehe.
    Suzan J

• alisande
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL Suzan, I dislike "Sue," too. My parents, husband, and stepdaughters called me Susie, which was fine. I don't mind Suze either. But not Sue.

I'm enjoying all the responses!

• curlysue
    16 years ago

The swing lady-I sit in my swing all the time
    The flower lady-I have a lot of flowers
    We are also known as the people on the hill.

We have a hat lady in our town. She walks around town all the time and she always wears a pretty hat. The bicycle girl-she is probably in her 30s and she rides a bike everywhere. Can Man-an older man in our town who you always see out all over the place collecting aluminum cans. Fast Eddie-he is in his 50s, originally from New York, goes in all the businesses in our strip mall bumming free coffee. I could go on for hours, as we really have a cast of characters in our small town. We always joke that hey if you have someone just a little quirky just drop them off at the county line, we'll take them.

• sayhellonow
    16 years ago

It depends on where I am. I'm sometimes called "the singer" because I sing with a local jazz band. In my former neighborhood I was called "Keri's Mom" because my daughter lived down the street and everyone knows her. In my current neighborhood I'm referred to as "the lady with all the flowers."

• uxorial
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure our neighbors refer to us by our names. And we call them by their names, although some we call by their last name and some by their first.

It's likely that the UPS drivers call us "the people in the big log home," "the ones with the locked gate," or "the couple with the big white dog."

Among the Master Gardeners, I was known as "the woman who does the newsletter."

To my older sisters, I'm "baby sister."

• angelaid
    16 years ago

We're probably "the pug people" cos we walk Conway everywhere all day and night long. Everyone in town knows him. Complete strangers have approached me, even when I don't have the dog, and ask me "Aren't you Conway's mom?"
    We have "crazy booby lady" in the basement apartment. Her windows are just street level and, apparently, she likes showing off her boobies. LOL
    We used to have "the door nazi". Lady who lived right by the front door and was in charge of locking the building up tight precisely at 7 p.m. and unlocking it at 7 a.m. She passed away last summer.

• waddles
    16 years ago

The one that laughs in vowels

• irishdancersgram
    16 years ago

I'm thought of as the "Crazy Cat Lady" because of my love and rescue of cats...(Also, the lady that lives in the "Cat House")
    And my DH calls me the "Blooming Idiot" because of all my flowers....
    And I could be know as the "lady that hangs out her wash"...See, I'm crazy, an idiot, but I'm clean....

• wildchild
    16 years ago

I don't know what they call me. Probably the "strange" or crazy lady in the Red Hat who comes and goes late at night. Many of us are original to the neighborhood. Some would know me as the one who won the "war" with the evil neighbors. (they had to move).

We have a new neighbor down the block. A pleasant ,friendly fellow who appears to have a super OCD problem. He goes out late at night and washes down the sidewalk in front of his house,the one across the street from his and all the neighbors 3 doors down.He also has taken to hosing the treetops on his property.He wears a hooded rain jacket. I wave at him when I pass him doing his thing and he always waves back. He keeps adding lengths of hose. Pretty soon he'll be able to reach the whole block.
    DH and I affectionately refer to him as "the hoser".

We have neighbors that live next door that seem to avoid sunlight at all costs. They have a pool they never use. They only take walks after dark. They are "the vampires".

• jmzms
    16 years ago

Funny thread. I've never thought about it, but I'm sure there are several. We generally refer to people by their house, their pet, or their occupation - aren't they couple who live in the blue house; or look, there's the lady with the German Shepherd; or looks like Muffler Man's having a party tonight.

I live in a cul-de-sac and we all know each other well, but outside of it, I'm probably "the lady with the white dog" (I have a Samoyed, which are pretty rare to find in Georgia). Or "the lady with the garden." Or perhaps, we're "the couple who did all that stuff to their house/yard" - when we moved in, we literally gutted the yard, and did a ton of minor-but-recognizable home improvements (windows, paint, etc.). Undoubtedly, I'm the cop's wife (DH is an officer and has a take home car that's hard to miss). :-)

When I lived in an apartment in NJ, I'm certain I was the "crazy lady with the poop bags" - everyone would walk their dogs in my "backyard" and let their dogs poop and not clean it up. It wasn't unheard of to have me fling the window open and ask if they needed a bag to clean up after their dog! :-)

• alisande
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just remembered that our veterinarian calls me THE BIG BOOB because I founded the county's first La Leche League group. :-)

• evatx
    16 years ago

I've lived here long enough now to have outgrown "that lady who bought Melba's house." Now I often get called "the newsletter lady." And sometimes "Ken's wife" or "the mayor's neighbor." Growing up I was "one of the twins."

• ritamay91710
    16 years ago

I guess I am probably known as the cat lady. Doesn't bother me one bit!!

• curlysue
    16 years ago

OMG I can't believe I forgot Mr Orange Drawers. He would wear a bright orange speedo type thong to mow or do yard work. EWWWWWW He moved last year.

Also the Road Warriors-a dad and three sons lived in a house a few doors down, them dang boys played in the road all the time. I would have to stop on the way to my house to drag a big wheel or some other toy out of the middle of the road at least twice a week. We live on a dead end, but still.

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Part of my job for the last 20 years has been operating a huge switchboard. A couple of years ago, we installed a new system for which we had to record our own voice messages. My boss insisted that I make the recordings, so now I am known as "the voice of _________". It is quite hilarious when someone presses "0" and then can't decide whether this voice is real, or an extension of the recording!
    At home I am just known as Mom...I raised 3 of my own kids and 75% of the neighborhood kids....My DH and I married late (2nd marriage for each of us), and now all of his kids and grands and great grands call me Mom or Grandmommie.

• kacram
    16 years ago

Gee, I don't know! LOL I know all of our neighbors names, at least the last one. WE have 40 homes in our neighborhood.

• dances_in_garden
    16 years ago

When I was a supervisor out back in the warehouse I was "The Dragon Lady". Not that I was a bad boss, but I didn't take any crap and had no problem punching your card and sending you home if necessary.

As for what the neighbours call me? Bwa ha ha haaaaa! The naked dancing lady, the crazy lady, the witch, the devil worshipper, I am sure there are some worse and some better LOL.

DD's friends call me "DD's Mom" mostly LOL. Some call me by my first name. I don't mind being called Mrs. and my hyphenated name, but I don't like being called DH's last name (that is my MIL) or my maiden name (that is my mom). When I am doing an organized thing with kids I prefer they call me "Miss Krysta". The schoold doesn't allow that, as they want the kids to refer to us formally.

DH calls me "Dear", he calls me "My wonderful wife" at work - or so I have been told LOL. His union buddies call me "Wonderful Wife" too - tee hee.

My dad calls me "Krysta Faloochi" (or Felooch - I have no idea what it means). Or Charles if I am REALLY in trouble. Collectively, us kids are Potlikkers or Onion Rings. My grandfather used to call me Krystalinski. My aunts and cousins call me Krysta-Belle-Darling. My oldest sister calls me George or Mouth. Or is that Face? Anyway, my other sister is Fred ROFLMAO.

My brother is just about the only person in the world who calls me Krys. And gets away with it ;).

• kacram
    16 years ago

Ooops! I take that back. Some of them refer to me as the one that drives too slow! lol

at one of the HOA meetings, a LOT of the neighbors were giving me grief! But all I couls say was "I'm not driving slowly, I'm driving the speed limit! and sometiimes 5 miles over!" sheesh! just because I don't drive 10 or 15 MPH over the limit! LOL

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

I imagine I am the "B*tch that called the sheriff" to my one neighbors. My other neighbors would call me "the lady that sells on eBay".

Most neighbors would call me "Jim's wife". He knows everybody, I'm less neighborly/social.

• paula_pa
    16 years ago

I'd be happy if they noticed me enough to call me anything. I only know the next door neighbors on both sides and those across the street. I know those all by name and we talk to each other and socialize but otherwise I don't know anyone else in the neighborhood even well enough to even give them a nickname. Okay, there's one man I refer to as the 'Ensure man' but only in my head. A case of Ensure was once accidentally delivered to our house instead of his.

• Mystical Manns
    16 years ago

Well, I've got to be the neighborhood dog lady, since we have ten of the furry beasts who run along the fenceline and bark when people take their evening walks. Woofman's Mom is what I hear when I go to PetSmart without him ... aren't you Woofman's Mom?

When I call DH to tell him I'm on the way home, he jokingly answers the phone with ... who's this? And I respond, Your Beloved. So he occasionally will introduce me as My Beloved.

At work, I think I'm the NCS lady since that's one of the systems I support.

• mcmann
    16 years ago

wildchild - loved your 'hoser' story.

We've been here 25 years and most of the neighbors are more recent and since all 3 kids are out of college they don't know me as Mike's Mom or Matt's Mom or even the 'library lady from school.'

But they might refer to me in unflattering terms because I have informed several neighbors that I don't want their dogs running loose and that I expect them to clean up after their dogs. Our town has a leash law and a p**per scooper law and I've been known to remind people of that.

We've owned as many as 3 dogs at a time and they were never off leash except in our fenced back yard. When we walk them we make sure they do all their business in their own yard before we leave. I've gone so far as to clean up after a roaming dog and then take the bag to the owner's house with a copy of the town's regulations. I then ring the bell and when they open it I hand it to them and tell them that their dog left it in my yard.

I'm sure they don't call me the nice lady who returns things.

• alisande
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sure they don't call me the nice lady who returns things.

LOL I'm sure they don't!

PS: Do they say, "Thank you"? ;-)

• ronf_gw
    16 years ago

My Dad and Mom have lived in the same small community nearly all their lives. At age 52 I'm still Les and Della Maes' boy.

Ron

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

We're know as the people with the prettiest yard with the white picket fence,and some also say with the American and Marine corps flags flying every day.

When my kids were home i was known as mom,Ms Davis,Scott's mom.

When i lived in my hometown growing up i was either one of Vive's girls, or Smiley.

I'm also known as Nana these days also.
    Kathi