SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

New house, bad kitchen, how would you tackle it?

Fori
13 years ago

I will be relocating soon to a new house, very much like my old one, except--the horror!--this one has been "done", and done strangely. Naturally, a full remodel is in order, but I am not yet recovered from (or completed) my last remodel. There is one feature (which is actually two features) that I don't think I'll be able to live with very long: electric downdraft slide-in range that vents into the crawl space. Ew!

I could crawl into the grease and add a duct--it wouldn't be terribly difficult. But then I'd still be stuck with an electric range. Now, I respect those who can cook on these, really I do, but I wouldn't be happy.

I could plop in something nice, like an induction range--if I had to go slide-in, it looks like Electrolux makes one and it would be the easiest swap. Gas would be doable as well. Then I'd have to use it when I remodeled, which could be years out, depending on how bad everything else really is. I assume slide-ins are okay appliances? But. I'd have to install a proper hood, which is fine and probably not prohibitive since it's a one story house that needs a new roof. But. It's on a peninsula kind of thing. So I'd need an island hood that would be visible from everywhere because someone some time removed a wall. (This is a small house.) Popup downdraft? Cut into tile?

Some Realtor photos (staged) to explain:

This second photo is from the door into the kitchen--on the left the first thing is the oven stack (I like this and redid it in my current house) and the right is just a cabinet. And yeah, the refrigerator is THERE. Down there. Sad and lonely fridge (Originally it would have been where the range is, against a WALL.). The luxurious wood on these cabinets is a petroleum product. The cabinets on the sink side are refaced originals from the mid 50s, just like mine were. But mine weren't refaced with fake wood. The tile is not my cup of tea but was installed well. But the range is sure in a weird spot.

How would you tackle this if you weren't up to a full-on tear out? Seems silly to go with a range style just to avoid damaging counters I don't like. But I can't put new counters on cabinets I don't like!

Should I just rip up the stuff on the range side, put a range/cooktop (of my choice!) next to the oven (the original location, and the ductwork is even still in the attic and roof) and Ikea butcherblock that entire side?

Or is there a chance I will be won over by the magic of Jenn Air and its switchable elements?

Y'all aren't gonna make me live with it first are you?

Comments (19)