SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

How do you tell who's fence it is?

lakedallasmary
15 years ago

I could not find a forum to ask this, so I picked this one since it was the closest thing I could find to the topic.

If my yard and a neighbor's yard both touch a fence, whose fence is it?

I heard if the fence posts are on your side it is your fence. but one person said if the pretty side side without poles) is on your side it is your fence.

Personally I believe in the old saying: "good fences make good neighbors", so both neighbors should split the cost of replacing or repairing a fence.

The deal is, a wood privacy fence in our back yard keeps falling over, one panel at a time. The neighbor just props it up and ties it to the fence post (also rotten). I keep telling my hubby, that he should replace that part of the fence. He says the fence is not ours. I am not touching someone else's fence. The poles are not on our side. So that is why he says it is not our fence. Personally, I think it arbitrary which side the builder put the poles on when he installed the fence.

A panel has fallen again and we have a dog other wise it would be no big deal.

Last time the neighbor, was out tying up the fence to a pole, I told him we have a bunch of old fence panels left over from when we replaced our fence that touched the fount yard. I told him he could have them. I also said, if he wanted he could come over and maybe he and my hubby could buy a few metals poles and nail the old fence up to them. He never came over. Plus, I could see that this man was undressing my with his eyes. I don't feel comfortable talking to him again. He is foreign and a renter, and it is clear he does not care about the fence.

Being that is the case, Seems it would be easier for my hubby to just forget whose fence it is and fix it.

So whose fence is it? The poles are not on our side.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH