SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
mjsee_gw

To those of you who do this for a living...HOW do you do it?

mjsee
13 years ago

I spent the day roughing up painted baseboards, filling the dents and divots (wood filler) and then, once it was cured, sanding. (I also filled all the dented wallboard yesterday and sanded it as well.)

My wrists are killing me. I'm pretty good at this painting stuff...but I am clearly TOO OLD. How do the pros keep it up? If I tried to do this for a living it would kill me. And it's not muscle issues...it's tendons. I have wicked tendonitis in both writsts...

Ibuprofen is my friend.

I am in awe of those of you who do this full-time.

melanie

Comments (3)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    13 years ago

Are you using all the sanding tools at your disposal? There are pole sanders (and matching hand-held model) for walls, sanding blocks and sponges for trim and corners, and long-lasting abrasives that cut nicely for an extended period. And I would advise using the right grit for the job to eliminate wasted effort. 120 for walls, 220 for spackle patches, and 100 for trim.
    Casey

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

I use very lightweight compound and I patch so that the sanding is minimal. When I do sand, I am hardly pressing at all. If you lay it on too thick, you are just creating more work for yourself. Really, this is a very common mistake that homeowner painters make. Several thin coats are better than one thick one. Stick with Plus 3 from Sheetrock if you are looking for something that is easy to sand. The general purpose compound (green lid) is not as easy to sand and nothing that Red Devil makes is easy to sand either.

• mjsee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's not the sheet rock that's giving me the problems...it's the baseboards. I think the PO's let their dogs run wild...or something. And then they just painted over the gouges...so I had to sand them before I even started to get the patching compound to hold. (And I am using 120 grit.) Patching with Ace Wood Patch. (two thin coats...not one heavy one.) Used a sanding sponge AND this new tool I found---3M's Sandblaster. LOVE that thing. It has a handle and everything.

I have had tendinitis in both wrists for years...(since The Boy was a baby--and he's 20) and something about patching/sanding seems to aggravate it.

While I'm not a pro...I'm no newbie. In fact, for serious settling cracks, I don't even use patching compound. I use Krack-Kote. Stays flexible and moves with the house. It can't BE sanded...one has to get it smooth at the start. Linked below...I highly recommend it for houses that have a fair amount of movement. (We have a lot here--clay soil and periodic drought/deluge cycles.)

Thanks for the tips...it's good to know I'm not really doing it wrong...it's just my bum wrists. I've decided to farm the painting of the open staircase out...but I've got all the prep work just about finished...so I'm hoping it won't be heinously expensive. (Since good prep is 80% of any painting job.) I'll post pics when it's all finished!

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: Krack-Kote's website