SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

Does this seem right (health related)?

debo_2006
14 years ago

Long story short:

Had a mammography which showed something. Was told by the radiologist to get an ultrasound so they could be sure it was something. The ultra confirmed that something was there so they did a biopsy. Biopsy came back as pre-cancer (LCIS). Met with BC surgeon who said it should be removed and she also ordered an MRI to be sure there was no more of these cells showing up anywhere else that couldnÂt be seen on mamm or ultra. I also took a genetic test for BC. After results came in, met with surgeon again for results and surgery discussion. She told me MRI came back indicating the LCIS was only in the one original area and the genetic test was negative. My mom is a BC survivor so my chances are higher which is why she wanted to run all these tests. Surgeon had me schedule breast surgery for mid-May to remove the findings so they wonÂt have a chance to possibly develop into BC later.

I donÂt know how the docs office billed my BC/BS Traditional insurance, but I just received a letter from BC/BS saying they will not cover the MRI. I called the insurance company beforehand to insure it would be covered (I usually do that). IÂm pretty sure they told me it was covered which is why I moved forward. The letter says it was an investigative test (MRI). What????? BTW, this is an IN-NETWORK provider.

I would think since BC runs in the family making my chances of getting it higher, plus they found something (LCIS), that the insurance company would pay their portion of the MRI, and me my portion. I just didnÂt expect my portion to be 100%. TheyÂve always covered MRIÂs in the past for injury related things like knee, shoulder.

I intend to call the surgeonÂs office on Monday, then the insurance company for an explanation. This is going to be a huge bill and I will appeal it if I can.

Does this seem right or wrong that they wonÂt cover it?

Comments (10)