SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcrowley99_gw

Thank you for the help, our deck is done!

jcrowley99
15 years ago

I posted a couple questions here a while back when we were planning our new deck, and ,of course, I have spent considerable time reading all the sage advice available here. We just finish building our new deck last week. My BIL designed it and did most of the building. We did have a contractor come in and dig the post holes and put in the cement piers. The deck is cedar, 30' by 20' with fifteen piers (12" by 46"), we used 4 by 4's for the posts, doubled 2 by 10's for the beams and joists (12" on center)and ledger boards. The decking is 1 1/4" by 6" cedar set at a 45 degree angle. I feel that I learned a lot here and wanted to thank you all for being so kind and sharing your knowledge so freely, the contractor who did the holes and concrete for us offered to answer questions for $150.00 an hour! So here is our pride and joy. The table in front of the deck will be my new potting table placed back behind the garage. My BIL built it before he started the deck and mounted his circular and miter saws on it while he was working.

We have some left over materials to return yet, but it looks like we spent right around $10,000 for all the materials and work, including permits and the contractors work. We still need to get it sealed, we will have a pro do that. If y'all have tips on what I need to know before talking to someone about sealing the deck for us I would appreciate the help with that. We are hopeing that having a pro do this will give us a longer lasting finish. Thanks again!

Joanne

Comments (2)