SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pcjs_gw

Please Help Us Build Our Small Deck

pcjs
16 years ago

Help: Here are my husband's questions as we are trying to learn how to do it. Last week, with the heavy rains, the old decking and the plywood board they put on top decided to seperate making it a huge saftey issue.

He is having his normal, we have demo'ed and are ready to start the install panic attack. Unfortantly, like several of our other projects, we didn't fully plan this out but it was also hard to not knowing what we are facing. It appears the original owner replaced the deck at some point and put in a concrete slab at the end (per our neighbor/original owner/friend). His biggest fear is an inspector will drive by and post a notice for not getting a permit.

For the record: He is very handy and everything he has done so far has turn out wonderfully!

His Questions:

The deck is 52" x 52" with walls on two sides. The highest point above the ground is 24" at the wall and sloping up to 18." The original deck used two ledgers, one on each wall with two outer joists forming the

remaining two sides of the box, meeting at a single flush anchor post. There was no beam. There is a concrete pad at one end that is about 8" thick. The original deck had the single anchor post sitting on some bricks with some mortar attaching it to the pad.

I live in Montgomery County, Maryland. I'm wondering if I have to use a beam configuration with a single ledger, or can I copy the design of the original deck by using two ledgers to help support the outer joists?

If I can use the single post can I drill a hole in the concrete pad for an anchor bolt and then use a modern post anchor, or does the anchor post always have to attach a concrete column dug 24" into the ground?

Old Deck with Plywood Top as Repair:

T&G replacement deck original homeowner built that rotted:

Original Framing using Nails (and lots of them) with some extra support when the T&G replacement was done:

Area cleans, original board on house primed/painted (in good shape)- stair is cinderblock and will be removed, there is then the concrete slab with pavers on top - we'd like to replace the pavers at some point and the stairs with decking. Originally we wanted to extend the deck, but changed or mind.

The current plan is to use Fiberon/Veranda (depending on where you buy it) in 4 inch boards (1 inch with) -http://goveranda.com/veranda_deckTD_spec.html or IEP with the thin boards (not T&G) but I'm not 100% sure as I'm still undecided. I either want a very dark composite to match the door I stained or a nice real wood to highlight it. We are waiting on samples from EastTech and Fiberon, which should be here early next week.

Any help for DIY'ers, has been and will always be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Thank you very very much, Jessica

Comments (7)