SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
egor_sb

Building deck...advice appreciated

egor_sb
16 years ago

I am doing a major remodel to my 100year old mountain house in SoCal and the deck is hopefully going to be my favorite part. No, I am not building it myself, I have a competent contractor. :)

Drawings of proposed front decking: http://www.eprepservices.com/emilio

Anyways, I have a few questions for the "experienced ones" here on GardenWeb. I got outstanding advice over in the HVAC forums last year!

1. The wife and I love the rich dark brown look of IPE, but are not crazy about the dull gray it becomes. Is there an easy/simple maintenence routine to keep it looking rich dark brown? My contractor says that everyone says this in the beginning but after a few years they just let it go gray. :)

2. Other than IPE, are there some other woods I should be looking at that are cheaper either to purchase/install or maintain that would look the same? Or is IPE just the best thing since sliced bread to come down the pike? I live in the mountains at 2500+feet and get some "weather", but nothing like the extremes of winter/summer that other parts of the country get.

3. My contractor says he can install the IPE with hidden fasteners or just SS screws straight down with wood plugs or brown heads. He says the screws is easier, faster, and cheaper way to go, and works better in the long run. Any thoughts?

Thats it for now, I have read several threads here about IPE and will buy from eiither EastTeak or AWDS as recommended by several here. For the 1400 LF I will need for the two decks (there is one in the backside of house not shown) it looks like about $5.5k for just the decking (about $3.85/LF + shipping + Fasteners). Steep $$$ but worth it I am told.

Comments (14)