SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pressurepros

srercrcr.. couldn't post on previous topic

pressurepros
17 years ago

I have no problem with someone using composite decking material. I don't have to live with it everyday.. the consumer does. I share my experiences with it and I think most professionals take a bit of a harsh stance against the composites because Trex led the crowd with false claims and, in my opinion, still mislead people into believing they are buying something durable but does not live up to its claims of low maintenance. Factors of longevity are of course dependant upon geographical location, which composite is used, and orientation of the deck (southern exposure etc) and whether ort not the person has pets that use the deck.

You missed my point in the post above. The majority of decks built are not ipe or hardwood. Though growing in popularity most people still use PTP. A composite (or an ipe deck) will cost twice as much. I personally am not a huge fan of ipe. I would build my deck from cypress and would spend half over using a composite.

I look at the cost of something factored over its life span. Factors like appearance are not as tangible but still important. If I were to spend half as much to build a 500 s/f deck I would have money left to pay for maintenacne on that deck. Every year my deck would be cleaned and freshly sealed.

For my money, I would rather see something natural in my backyard that harmonizes with nature. A big plastic monstrosity wouldn't fit my needs. On the other hand, if I were building a pool surround where bare fet and constant chlorine splashing were an issue I would probably go composite. There is no one-size-fits-all. If there was, this entire conversation would be unneccessary. I do wish you the best and hope you enjoy your deck for many years to come.

I have one favor to ask you and that is to please keep your disparaging remarks (at least regarding my company and/or professionalism) in context. You have never met me or dealt with me on any level professionally so it is not fair to generalize all contractors into your poor opinion of their input.

Comments (11)