SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sensibullmastiffs

Off Topic - Heuchera

sensibullmastiffs
14 years ago

I saw some previous posts that there did not seem to be a forum for this perennial, and since I was busily planting my new hosta's yesterday and labelling my pictures today so I know whats what...I'm need to know what my coral bells are now lol. I bought them sooooooooooo long ago, I cannot remember what variety they are. Hey__J the pic you posted on the Neighbour NOID thread with your coral bell tucked beside you Sugar and Cream hosta...looks very similar to mine.

Three names that are ringing bells with me are Amethyst Mist, Black Currant or Plum Pudding. In the pic of the whole plant the leaves that appear to be a different colour "I think" are the ones that did not completely die over the winter so when I was cleaning up I just let them be

I just ran out and snapped a couple pics of them....the undersides of the leaves are all vibrant burgandy/purple colour and the blooms are white on these ones

Whole Plant

{{gwi:1088431}}

Upclose of leaves

{{gwi:1088432}}

Comments (40)

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

If one of your guesses is Plum Pudding,then I would say that's what it is. I have that plant,along with Caramel,Citronelle,and Lime Rickey. Phil

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

Looks like PP. Terra Nova has a lot of pics on site.
    Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: TerraNova

• Related Discussions

Propagating fancy heuchera by chopping off tops?

Q

Comments (6)
    You are right linnea! The other day a few stems of my Iberis got snapped off so I am attempting to root them outside. Don't have anything to loose since they were broken off already. Might just get some free plants ;-) It was fairly early in the season (last year) when I took the cutting, so I wasn't sure if it would root by sticking it in the cold ground outside. I dusted my cutting with the hormone and then stuck it in a pot inside and tented it for a week or two. But if your ground is warm enough and no cold spells are expected I think it would be fine. Good luck with your Heuchera propagation! ;-) CMK
    ...See More

Completely off topic but...

Q

Comments (11)
    My dad grew double grandiflora petunias from pelletized seeds. They were magnificentmagnificent! There was no let up in flower production all the way to frost. Individual plants got to be about a foot high and 18" wide by summers end. Their very compact, dense growth habit was maintained all summer long. No pinching, trimming, dead heading was ever needed. They resembled carnations at first glance. Giving so much for so little effort makes me wonder how I didn't follow his path, and got mixed up with roses....winter die back, rose midge fly, spider mites, aphids, rose slug, black spot, powdery mildew, downy mildew, Rose Rosette Disease, Mosaic Disease, rabbits, squirrels, THORNS!....but the blooms are pricelesspricelesspricepricelesspricelessriceless. Moses
    ...See More

Off-Topic Forums

Q

Comments (12)
    tj, see my previous post what happens. I think the site remembers that I logged in via houzz.com previously and automatically redirects me from gardenweb.com to houzz.com and I think it is because the site owner wants people to use houzz.com rather than gardenweb.com i.e. a 1-way from gardenweb.com to houzz.com with no way back. What I am saying is this: you lucky folks who always use gardenweb.com and never use houzz.com continue like that. Once you use houzz.com your luck may be over! It is not really a big deal for myself, because my landscaping is basically done, and houzz.com will be sufficient to ask for any help with any garden issues :-) Anyway, I thought that the 'off-topic forums' could provide me with a little social media infotainment, but it does not look like houzz.com likes that. FB anyone?
    ...See More

off topic surgery

Q

Comments (17)
    You are such a fighter as with all your health issues over the years. I know you will fight this, too, with every fiber of your being. Because, as we all know, there are lilies to behold!!! Brad, so sorry about your wife. I hope her treatment and recovery goes well.
    ...See More
  • chris-e
    14 years ago

WOW! Thanks for that link, Woodthrush. It's great to have since Heuchera are one of the main companion plants with hosta.

I have so many I try to keep them named with markers as well as the hosta.

christine

• tepelus
    14 years ago

I wish that GW had a forum on just Heuchera. They seem to be quite popular, and I like them bunches too. I have a few different ones, some seem less finicky than others, but I am willing to give any a try and see how they do. Love the colors on yours, SBM.

Karen

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

I think the heucheras are discussed on the Foliage Forum.
    Pam

• Janice
    14 years ago

Sensi--I think the one you're referring to in my pic. is 'Plum Pudding'! Although it is quite common
    it's still a really neat one--to me! :o)

I also have 'Amethyst Mist' and like it a lot, too!

And--I really LOVE 'Obsidian'!

• Janice
    14 years ago

Okay--let me try this again! I first posted this pic. on the wrong thread!! Groan
    Here is a better pic. of 'Obsidian'--much better than the previous ones posted:

• alyciaadamo
    14 years ago

Great now this is a Heuchera enabler forum as well! One more on my list of wants ;P

• alyciaadamo
    14 years ago

I just did a search and one post I found was all about Heucheras but everyone was saying how much they died and that they weren't hardy at all! What's up with that?

These are the ones I am interested in-

Obsidian (thanks Janice ;P)
    Sparkling Burgundy
    Peppermint Spice
    Georgia Peach
    Citronelle
    Pistache
    Fire Chief

I have Miracle

does anyone know if these would be worth my time?

• Janice
    14 years ago

Mine don't die over winter and I have probably up to 25 or more! What I do find, is that they
    can dwindle if not divided properly! I've yet to divide any of mine and have seen it happening
    in the case of a couple of mine!

They don't like to get too dry either--or too wet--they like it JUST RIGHT!! :O)

Don't know if 'zone' is a factor or not--I'm zone 5!

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

I've had some for over 8 years and I've had some that didn't survive the first winter here and some that grew nice a couple of years, and then faded. Good snow cover seems to help here.
    Pam

• goldedger
    14 years ago

Hosta and Heuchera look so good together. I agree, that one looks like Plum Pudding. A lot of my Heucheras looked great in late spring and now have dwindled/shrunk down to almost nothing, anybody else experienced this?? Here is one named Caramel that didn't shrink, I got it last year as a birthday gift and it came through the winter looking just beautiful.

{{gwi:1088434}}

Here's another link if you want to look at more of these pretty plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuchera, Coral Bells

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

Janice,Heucheras might shrink if you don't divide them up there,but down here,mine get smaller in the winter,but come roaring back in the spring,and I've never divided them! I keep looking for more,and found a new one in June,called Crimson Curls,which has intense crimson color on the backs of the leaves. Phil

• sensibullmastiffs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your input, I'm going to label it plum pudding, I'm not quite sure what the difference is between that variety and amethyst mist (both very similar imo) Mine never seem to really thrive, but do seem to be doing better this year since I am now waging the war against the pine tree roots and doing extra waterings. I did buy '3' Marmalades the other day, found them quite stunning with their mix of colours....reminded me of all the beautiful fall tree colours we see...now I can enjoy it everyday.

Making a 'small' list of the ones I want now that there are so many more than there were years ago....there's been a coral bell explosion since I bought those original plants.

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

I have found that my Heucheras do not shrink during the growing season. In fact, my Caramel,and Citronelle keep trying to crowd out each other! See pic. They are in the center of this pic. Phil
    {{gwi:966749}}

• sensibullmastiffs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Really like that Obsidian Hey-J!! I might just have to find a spot for one or two of those in my field stones. Next year when I remulch my gardens I'm going to use the black mulch instead of cedar....and I think that Obsidian may get lost in the blackness if its as dark as it appears?

I'm thinking also i might have to get a few Heucheralla as well....hmmmmm 'sweet teas' is stunning and would POP against my black mulch...lol

• Janice
    14 years ago

Sensi--it is very dark and glossy--really looks good next to chartreuse hosta or blue ones!!!

I love heuchera almost as much as hosta, and I'm loving pulmonaria or lungwort a lot, as well!!

• ninamarie
    14 years ago

In general, I find the villosa hybrids very robust. They spread quickly, look good all the time and are worth the high ticket prices. I have had no luck with Sparkling Burgundy - the colours are lovely, but it just fades away when planted.
    I really like Obsidian, which actually handles full sun here, and use it in almost every garden I have. I have no experience with Peppermint Spice or Georgia Peach.
    Citronelle is wonderful and very showy. I have trouble telling the difference between it and Pistache, which has also done well.
    I am particularily fond of Encore, which seems to be an unearthly colour somewhere between orange and rose. It's very robust, grows quickly, and is an exceptional highlight to hosta.

• florabundance
    14 years ago

Will you all just knock it off? Lordy, now I'm wantin to expand again! LOL

shhhhhhhhhhh
    Jean

• User
    14 years ago

Geisha's Fan is another attractive one in the burgundy and silver coloration. It stays nice and low and it is a good grower (despite being a fancy one).

• idiothe
    14 years ago

I try to add a couple of varieties to my sale each year... this year it was Encore and Georgia Peach - spring color on GP was exceptional... Caramel from a couple of years ago has grown like gangbusters... one I'm adding next year is Midnight Rose

• sensibullmastiffs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey J have you tried the Augustifolia variety. Solid green leaf, but absolutely STUNNING vivid blue flowers!!!!! I remember the day I saw it I was like OH MY GOSH, if it had not of been in bloom I probably woulda walked right past it thinking yah right I know all about those supposed blue perrenials they end up some shade of lavendar...lol but that blue said BUY ME!!!!!

Another plant I just found and have added into my hosta gardens is an ornamental grass, love it and made triply sure that it was a clumping grass before I bought it...lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornamental Grass

• Janice
    14 years ago

Sensi--I will definitely be keeping my eye out for the Augustifolia!!!! Sounds stunning!
    I have one called 'Hercules' that is a green veiny kinda thing--like it, too and 'Spotlight' which
    is yellow and I had 'Lime Ricky' but it only survived two seasons for me--I hear it can be touchy!

Oh yeah--the Hakenola grass--I got a clump of it this year--I LOVE the look of it with hosta and heuchera
    and I think it was Dan (of 'dansgrdn') got me going for it, with pix of his! Love his ideas!

So many offerings, for the shade garden, and so little space! Sigh!

• Janice
    14 years ago

BTW--very lovely heuchera, ('Midnight Rose') Jim!
    Do you ship?? :o))

• idiothe
    14 years ago

Just to stay on the good side of the Garden Web administrators... I do not ship, I do not advertise, I do not run a seasonal or year-round business. I do have a heck of a good yard sale two weekends a year, and in my prosletyzing in "The First Church of Godliness Through Hostaness" I found I couldn't grow enough in my own garden to meet the needs of my congregation, so I buy some wholesale for resale (and to get one or two of each for my own use at cheap prices.)

Hey... I wonder if I played this right if I could become a tax-exempt organization... I'm sure as heck "non-profit!"

• Janice
    14 years ago

LOL, Jim--I think you're safe!! :o))

Talk about promoting business--you ever read the deck forum? How in the world can they
    do what they do there and we can't recommend some of our own on this forum--I just don't get it!!

Or, the home repair forum--the gutter people--good grief!!

• Janice
    14 years ago

Well, we don't *self*-promote, I guess is the key but boy there are some on the other forums that do,
    as I mentioned!

• Carole Westgaard
    14 years ago

I have almost all that are mentioned - crazy about them as well as Hakonachloa grass, which just gets more beautiful every year and is perfect draped over a rock. But you must find GINGER ALE. I can't even describe the color - not green or burgundy or silver or lime or peach. It's just the color of Ginger Ale!!!! And gorgeous with any color hosta.

Westy

• sensibullmastiffs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ohhhh I googled that one westy.....on my list to look for...darn it my list is growing. Sounds interesting with its combination of chartruese and soft pink flowers.

• User
    14 years ago

Just to wander a little farther afield, this new "Color Flash" Astilbe with burgundy foliage was featured in the latest edition of Northern Gardener (Mn Horticultural Society) magazine. It just has to find a place among my hostas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Flash astilbe

• Janice
    14 years ago

Hmmm--Personally, I find that any foliage color that looks like it's dying, fading or needs fertilizing, on first look,
    is unappealing to me. I know, that in time, I can change my opinion, once I get past the first impression I have.

And, that was also the case with 'August Moon' (the hosta)! I had to be talked into trying 'just one' with a guarantee
    that if I did, I'd be back for more! And, in fact, it proved to be true and I have probably at least 15 plantings of it,
    front and back garden beds.

For instance, I have a problem with the Japanese Shield fern: 'Autumn', Dryopteris erythrosora! I love it
    once it 'gets over' the orangey looking foliage in the Spring, where it looks like it's all dried up and dying!
    But, I've been so tempted to just get rid of it (move to another less visible area) because I do find it very
    unappealing, early on! In Spring, my eyes are so hungry for bright green, I suppose, that they instantly avert
    from any color that suggests 'Fall'! :o)

Here's a good link, to peruse some of the many colors of Heuchera, out there:

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Palette of Heuchera!

• sensibullmastiffs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

hey-j I love the fall foliage colours (I personally dislike with a passion what comes after that season though)but I have an issue with bright orange or bright yellow flowers for some reason....ahhhhh does that make any sense roflol.

After winter I'm happy to see any colour besides SNOW!!!!!!

Would you change your thoughts if hosta came in fallish foliage colours? I would even if it had bright orange or yellow flowers....grin

• Janice
    14 years ago

Actually----yes! I do have 'Orange Crush' and I paid dearly for it--must have lost my mind,
    and actually with hosta, I did that a long time ago! LOL

I LOVE Fall colors---in Fall! I even love my hosta turning orangey and golden in the Fall!
    It's just in Spring--I want SPRING colors not FALL COLORS!! LOL I know--it's just a 'taste' thing!

I'm SOOOO visual and what I see does have a profound impact on me (as well as what I hear--love birds,
    crickets, frogs, rain, thunder--not 'noise')!

What I am finding with 'Orange Crush' is that it's actually much more of a muted gold with creamy
    margins that what I'd call a true 'orange'!

Just ran out and snapped these two to show you the color right now:

So, I guess you might call me a *plant-color racist*! I don't like orange in my garden on any day
    other than the days of Fall! But--that's where I draw the line on 'racism'--all other forms are unacceptable!

• alyciaadamo
    14 years ago

sensibullmastiffs- that makes sense to me. I am not a real lover of too much yellow or orange flowers either just one too many and they look like they take over the whole garden!

BTW idiothe thanks a lot because of your picture I just had to get Midnight Rose! All of you are such a bad influences!!

• sensibullmastiffs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh great now I'm adding Orange Crush to my list of hosta wants....have the perfect spot to make that one "POP" ha ha. While I'm at it might as well add Orange Marmalade.....now I'm hungry and thirsty lol.

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Good morning gang,
    I have had the same problem with Heuchera heaving.
    I bet i have tryed 10 different ones,just a couple stay with me.I have been told it is very common for them to heave.
    I am now trying Tiarella,the flowers are very pretty, as well as the foilage.I have on order for next spring,Tiarella'Sugar and Spice and 'Spring Symphony',i had at one time 'Iron Butterfly'but i killed it(heavy sigh)my fault,not the plants.
    Look them up, to me, they are much easier to grow than Heuchera.
    cAROL

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

cAROL, I have a lot of Tiarella and I like those also.
    T. Running Tapestry is aptly named. It spreads all over.
    And I get a lot of seedlings from the other varieties.
    Pam

• idiothe
    14 years ago

This opens up an interesting topic. Follow me here...

Heuchera - common name "Coral Bells"

Tiarella - common name "Foam Flower"

Like the horse and the donkey, these two are close enough in genetic history to be able to "breed", making an intergenus cross. The animals in question produce the mule. The plants produce

Heucherella - common name "Foamy Bells"
    The flowers are a cross between the two. I had great hope for these, but I've ended up having poor luck with most of the varieties I've tried - maybe because I gave them too little light. But one variety, Heucherella 'Iron Butterfly" has been a consistent performer.

On the tiarella front - I've found it to be much easier to grow than heuchera, much more forgiving. Time was when we only had a couple of species wildflower plants to choos from... T. cordifolia which runs wildly and forms an easy ground cover... and T. wherryi which form clumps.

Since then, there's been a lot of breeding going on. As described, Running Tapestry has more of the cordifolia nature and spreads - but in a much more mannerly fashion, less rampant... and it has some colored markings. Black Snowflake has been exceptional for me... nice clumps, deeply incised lobed leaves with a good black-purple center mark...

• prairie_love
    14 years ago

FWIW, I think the heuchera in the first post looks very much like my Amethyst Mist ...

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Yes Jim, I was going to mention the Heucherla,I have grown these also, and like them a lot.
    I have Running Tapestry,and will be replacing my Iron Butterfly,
    Would you have a picture of Black Snowflake,it sounds very nice.
    cAROL