SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berrybear_gw

kitchen layout options :-)

berrybear
10 years ago

I will be so grateful if I can gather a few ideas as to best approach modifying the kitchen/dining space in our "new" home. I have provided a photobucket link with photos and drawings of current layout.

Important issues I should state up front are:
A) our most pressing problem is that although we are not elaborate cook and don�t need a lot of storage, we DO need a kitchen that will better accommodate 2 workers (to some degree�.i realize we have a small space).
B) We have about $3,000 we could invest to make some modest changes now and DH is handy with DIY projects. A major redo is years down the road but I want to be smart about this so we don�t waste a "mini makeover".

Our family/kitchen "stats":
1. Family of 3 with 5-year-old. Entertain twice month, ranging from 2-8 people, and very informal with food and drinks served buffet style. No more than 6 people sit down formally at a dining room table to linger for long meals (well, maybe that happens 1-2X/year).
2. We would like to accommodate 2 kitchen workers. Husband and I have crazy work schedules so we are often both in the kitchen together trying to get everything prepared, cooked, cleaned efficiently, while our son plays in the adjacent room or hanging out at the peninsula bar.
3. The stovetop, microwave, and small toaster oven get the heaviest use. I'm not a big baker.
4. Storage needs are low.
5. We prefer "function over form".
6. Traffic flow is a challenge in this kitchen space, particularly if we want to allow 2 workers (I'm probably just not be creative enough to have a "vision" of how to make this work.
7. We will definitely live here for another 5-6 years�.hopefully much longer (20+).

Top priorities:
1. Work towards a smarter layout. Husband and I are always on top of each other in that space between the range and sink. All dishware, silverware, etc is stored there so itnaturally feels like the best place to prep�but it�s also considered the "clean up" zone, right?
2. More/smarter counterspace - (this is coupled to priority #1).
3. I really want to keep a couch (or could downsize to loveseat) in here somewhere. It really works for our lifestyle. We spend much of our home time in this kitchen area.
5. I would like to keep the peninsula with bar stools in some capacity (I can�t imagine there is space for an island). Our son sits there all the time to chat with us/eat while we are working in kitchen.
6. We are open to the idea of a banquette for our eating space.

Here are a few thoughts for modifications that I think (based on what I�ve learned from you folks!) may help with our 2-person problem � and should fall within our smaller mini- makeover budget.

1. Replace OTR microwave with regular exhaust hood � and move microwave to another location. This will help spread us out in the kitchen a bit.

2. Move the fridge to the other side of the pantry. The additional counter and cabinet space (where fridge currently is) could be our new "clean up zone", house everyday dishes, mugs, silverware. BUT is it a problem that the traffic path between dishwasher and cleanup zone would then cross the traffic path between the fridge and prep zone?

3. Close off the doorway between the kitchen and play/living room to add an additional cabinet & counter �although frankly, it�s not much more space.

Two other ideas (but these are major remodels):
1 ) flip the kitchen and dining space.
2) close of the doorway that leads to deck (we could install a sliding door to the deck in the living room) and incorporate what is technically the "eating nook" into the kitchen�.but this would be an odd spaced shape. I have NO vision for how to lay that out.

I haven�t sketched the above two ideas out on graph paper. That was overwhelming me a bit.

Many, many thanks in advance for additional brainstorming from you folks. I realize I don�t have a simple, discrete set of questions. It�s more of a spatial and temporal jigsaw puzzle that I�m trying to fit together.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen album

Comments (14)