SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rehabber_gw

Help with Kitchen Layout Options

Rehabber
12 years ago

We are adding onto and remodeling our 115 year old home...again and have decided to fully re-do the kitchen. I have a couple different layout options and also am considering some different options on the location of certain appliances and features. The architect that did the addition drawings made some sketches that I have added to and modified. Please see attached drawings with option 1 and option 2. I would love to hear any feedback positive or negative. Here are some of our ideas and concerns.

1- The previous sink and range were close to the same location as shown on option 1. With option 1 the sink would be moved down some to get it away from the corner.

2- Option 2 was preferred by architect due to prominent location of range and hood across from living room/fireplace and would be a more convenient range location. The negative is the minimal amount of counter space on each side of the range and from the sink. Another negative is it would require the dishwasher to be in the island. However, this is the option we are leaning towards.

3 - Microwave location - With option 1 we were going with a microwave drawer in the island (which I was never sold on completely). With option 2 we would most likely move it to what was going to be the full pantry but may be able to still squeeze it in island with a DW and trash drawer.

4- Range vs. Wall Ovens - The architect suggested a 36" cook top and wall oven/convection micro combo. We decided for a range because we like the oven close by the cook top but also so we could have a pantry; but now we are looking at adding a micro to the pantry area anyway. *** I just read this forum post >> and now have concerns about a 36" range (pre-heat times, dual fuel, etc) - maybe this should be another topic?

5- Island - Originally had a raised eating area and a prep sink. We are now leaning towards a completely flat island with no sink to maximize work area. If that is done we are looking at a bar sink left of the fridge as an option. The area left of the fridge would serve as a bar/drink area. The island would still have an eating area on opposite side.

We have analyzed our options 100 different ways and still are not 100% sure so any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments (22)