SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guvnah_gw

kitchen design help - please look!

16 years ago

Hi - We recently purchased a lake house built in 1964. We intended to do only cosmetic updating initially - paint, flooring, window coverings in bedrooms, etc. - and hoped to tackle some major issues in the next several years in order to retire there eventually.

We ran into an issue with the kitchen cabinets & we're going to tear them out now. They weren't 'keepers' anyway & we found a whole set on craigslist that someone had torn out - solid oak doors with a kind of funky inset panel design that we both kind of like - for only $250!

We have a 'L' shape to work with. The set up now has the fridge at the end but it extends into a wall of windows & I hate that look! We've toyed with putting it on the end at the small end of the 'l' but it's one open room & even if we build an end panel around it - it will sort of be the first thing you see when you come into the house & too big, I think.

We need to leave the sink in the middle & have some counter space around it. I'd like to build a shallow pantry where the fridge is now since there is only a depth of 15' from the wall to where the windows start. Would it be weird to put the fridge where the stove is & the stove at the end of the 'l' & build maybe a little bookcase or something as an end cap to block the stove?

Please take a look at the picture. We've just primed the paneling & ceiling so far to get rid of paneling & yellowed ceiling tiles. We didn't do the back wall since we knew it was coming out with the cabinets. We plan to paint the new cabinets white, go with a charcoal/dark formica countertop right now, laminate wood the floor, add an island or something for a little more storage where the table is.

Any suggestions would greatly help!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen

Comments (9)