SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

How 'fluid' are your architectural preferences?

palimpsest
13 years ago

Although I would love to live in another Federal to Greek Revival period house, (1790s-1840s), the likelihood of me finding one I can afford, or afford to buy and renovate, does not seem high. If it is that era, it has to look of that era on the inside and if its a drywall box, I can't afford $100K to restore ornamental plaster and flatwork, for example.

So in my area, you basically have a choice of pre-Civil War, a smattering of pre 1900, and 1965-1980. There is also 2000-->present which is not in the running for me. They are styleless, cheaply constructed messes.

So, I figure if it is going to be a drywall box it should be a good drywall box, and accordingly I have looked at the following:

Federal: intact, offered on and lost.

1965 Colonial revival with Contempolonial interior, offered on and eventually the contract expired. Meh interior but cheap enough to work on.

1970s version of above, offered on and lost.

1970s Brutalist exteriors several of these)with everything from original MCM - brutalist interior to 2000s faux riche interiors grafted on.

Pure MCM with an odd anonymous blank facade and glass walled hidden facades.

As an urbanite I actually care very little about curb appeal. This seems almost opposite the pure suburban model where the outside is a complete expression and the interior barely has any furniture. And, most are in between somewhere.

My Modern favorites have been the Brutalists, and the MCM.

These houses are hardly gems on the interior either, but there is potential because they are the genuine article of "something."

So, did your house have to be a Craftsman no matter what? Could it be an architectural blank because you needed location, size, and price and you feel decorating is a surface treatment? Could the outside be ugly if the inside was good? Could the inside be ugly if the outside was good?

Do you like many styles or periods as long as they are authentic? Would you recreate a historic interior that was gone (architecturally not decor-wise), or would you chalk it up to evolution and do something else?

Comments (26)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County