SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uxorial

Do you display or store irreplaceable items?

uxorial
15 years ago

We all have things that are irreplaceable, such as antiques, handmade items, and old photographs. I don't have any antiques, but I do have many handcrafted items. Most of them aren't fragile, so I display them. In fact, I can think of only one irreplaceable item that I don't have displayed (not including hundreds of photos and negatives that are in boxes).

The reason I'm thinking of this topic is this: My niece used to work in a pottery shop, and during that time she made a set of dishes and other items for my mother. Included in the collection were a clock, a spoon rest, a colander, a juicer, and other items I can't recall right now. I inherited the entire set when my mother passed away, and I even bought a hutch to display the dishes. I put the spoon rest on my counter, and I hung the clock on the wall above the kitchen door. I displayed the rest of the collection in the hutch for a while; now I rotate several sets of dishes in the hutch throughout the year, so the collection is stored.

A few months ago, my husband was running some wiring in the area where the clock was hanging. He knocked it off the wall, and it smashed into many pieces. I wasn't home at the time, but he told me about it as soon as I got back. He was very upset, mostly because he knew the clock had been my mother's, but also because he knew he should have taken it down before working in that area. I was upset (not to the point of tears or anything), but I also accepted part of the "blame" for displaying it in the first place, and not fastening it to the wall more securely (it was just hanging on a nail, which could have pulled out of the wall any time).

The clock can't be replaced, as the pottery shop is no longer in business. I still have the rest of the collection, along with many other things that belonged to my mother. So I'm not terribly upset about it. It was an accident, although preventable. But it did get me thinking about some of the other irreplaceable items I have. I may get a safe deposit box to store some of the more valuable pieces.

How do you decide what to display and what to store? Does it depend on how valuable it is? How you acquired it? Whether it goes with your decor? If it's fragile?

Comments (23)