SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidr_2002

Storing items while doing repairs

DavidR
6 years ago

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question. If not, could you please suggest a better one?

I have to get some renovation work done and need to move some stuff out. My contractor suggested renting an 8x16' "pod," which would have fit on a one-car parking pad off my driveway. However, the company that delivers them says they can't get up my narrow, curved, sloped driveway.

So I need some kind of temporary shelter that doesn't require a 12 foot wide truck to place it. I'd prefer to rent something, not buy it, so it doesn't hang around after the job is done.

Does anyone have experience with some other rentable, reasonably priced, weatherproof, temporary shelter for household goods and/or garden supplies? Do the rules here allow citing specific companies you used?

My contractor has suggested a temporary garage -- not a bad idea. I guess they come in a less than 200lb package that can be delivered by conventional truck. And one of the big home centers' websites (the orange one) has a bunch for sale at prices less than I would have paid to rent a pod,

The problem is, the contractor expects to start work late next week or early the week after. The portable garages aren't stocked in the local stores, and one wouldn't be delivered, much less set up, until a or so week after work is supposed to start.

Also, when I was done with the work, I'd own the portable garage. I really don't want to.

This is a pretty safe area, so I doubt that security is a worry. I just want to keep things dry for a month or two. Can you suggest something that worked for you?

Thanks.

Comments (9)